Hissing when using in-ear headphones with TV

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ianpwilliams, Jun 28, 2015.

1. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all, I've been using some AKG headphones while watching TV and using the exercise bike very early in the mornings, but I want to switch to my in-ear headphones instead.

I already had an extension cable going from the TV to the AKG headphones (small to large adaptor at headphones and large to small adaptor at TV), but I needed a different type of extension cable (and a longer one) in order to use the in-ear headphones. So I bought a cable with a large jack at the TV end and a small socket at the headphone end, using a large to small adaptor at the TV end. Yes I am aware that a small to small extension cable would have worked with both sets of headphones, but the new extension is bought now!

The issue I'm having is that I am getting a constant hissing sound when using the in-ear headphones, be it through the extension cable or direct to the TV (which I tried just to test and compare). There is also a hissing sound if I use the in-ear headphones via the surround sound amplifier, although the hissing is less prominent (but I'd rather go via the TV if possible because it's a lot more convenient). When using the AKG headphones through the TV or amp there is no hissing at all, and I know that there is nothing wrong with the in-ear headphones because I use them every day with my phone.

Does anyone know what the cause of the issue might be? I'm no expert but could it be something to do with resistance? And if so is there a workaround?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,617
    Sensitivity of in-ears combined with a cheap as possible manufacturing cost for the headphone out in your television. You could try an antennuator to hear if that helps, but may be at the expense of sound quality.

Without throwing money at it you would have to revert to the full size headphones or learn to live with the noisy background

3. ianpwilliams

ianpwilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh ok. To be fair the sound quality isn't hugely important, I'm only watching DVDs after all. But it sounds like I'll be best going through the amp and putting up with the hiss. Thanks for the help.