Hissing speakers with AV connection

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Neil61, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Neil61

Neil61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As reported in the Quad system thread I've just bought a new Unison Research valve amp. I've only had it a day and both it and my speakers are still running in but the I'm already very pleased with the sound quality which should only get better. However, there is one problem I've encountered: a pronounced hiss from both speakers when I connect the dvd/satellite TV audio to any of the inputs on the amp. The hiss is there whenever the amp is on and increases slightly if I turn up the volume. It's bad enough to make listening to single instrument tracks at lowish volumes impossible. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how to resolve the problem? I am using very cheap and necessarily long interconnects betweed dvd player and amp - could this be the source?

Thanks,
    Neil

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of connections does the amp have? single ended or balanced?

3. Neil61

Neil61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Single-ended connections I think - I don't have the manual to hand and I'm not to hot with the technical stuff.
    I've just checked the Unison site and they quote the S6 as being a single-ended integrated amp, though I always thought that refered to the CLass A nature of the amp rather than the connections.

Neil

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm.... I used to be into valves and remember this happening before.

Its all a bit vague now, but try changing the interconnects. Some leads quote 'magic' touches but all they do is screw up RF interference

5. stickybz

stickybz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem, and am using good quality 0.5m interconnects. Did you find a solution Neil?

6. dm57

dm57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try to measure the signal (AC voltage) between your antenna cable (chassis pole) and the ground of your amplifier. There is a possibility that antenna cable is passing a small voltage to your amplifiers ground pole.

Do you have an antenna amplifier ? If yes check if it is properly grounded.