1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hissing rear speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by woody, Dec 30, 2001.

1. woody

woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hissing frustrated of Essex here!

My Yamaha RX-V520RDS receiver sounds great through a pair of Eltax Liberty 5 mains, Eltax Bipolar rears and Celestion centre. No sub yet!
    The rears suffer from a high level of hiss which is present when the Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player starts playing a disc.

This happens in DD, DTS or THX modes. If I put it in annalog it drops away almost completely. I am using a Coax connector.

Anyone got any ideas please?

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woody,

I've got the Yamaha RX-V800RDS and don't suffer this problem. Can't help you much other than suggest you borrow another DVD player and digital interconnect and see if either of these items cures the problem.

Allan

3. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the 420RDS and the hiss on that was v. bad. Tried different machines - all had the same problem. I heard that others had ot too. I've swopped it for a Marantz 5200 which is great.

Rgds

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony , dont worry i will bring you down my dvd player and then we can see what happens!;)

5. woody

woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input.
    I have now tried a Playstation 2 through an optical connection and it is still hissing!
    I think I must have a faulty Receiver......so back to the store and try another I think, what a pain.

6. mkendall

mkendall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tony
    i had the same problem with a yamaha 420rds.
    I bought the full set up from richer sounds gale rears,marantz3200 dvd and celestion f2 fronts.The system sounded brilliant except for a hissing sound from the rears when i played dvds.I took back the rear speakers and was told they had a faulty'croossover'Took a different set of rears home still got the hissing noise but not as noticeable.I put up with this for a couple of months as i was new to home cinema and was'nt sure if the rear speakers should be quiet or was the hissing normal.
    To cut a long story short i rang richer sounds and asked them about the problem and they agreed to change the amp.I opted to upgrade to the 620rds when that arrived set everything up as before and the difference is amazing not a sound out of the rears unless they are being used.
    It was certainly a fault amp and i put up with this for 3 months.If your certain its the same problem change your amp !!!!!

A bit long winded but your enjoyment is being spoilt by a faulty amp

thanks

Mike

7. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mkendall,

You did not have a faulty amp. All the 420 amps have it. You will find people on audioreview from around the world have the same problem. It is the fault of the amp and probably the 520 as well. The 420 is definitely a hissy amp (tried 3 different ones before swapping for the Marantz 5200).

Rgds

Will

8. woody

woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys may well be right. I have spoken to Yamaha but they deny any knowledge (typical).
    Having just read the Jan 2002 issue of Home Cinema I was pleased to see it got a Best Buy. There was no mention of any hiss though.
    It's such a good amp otherwise so I'm reluctant to change it. Minimum 2 weeks Richersounds say before I get it back.