Hissing JVC THA35

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by County, Dec 26, 2003.

1. County

County

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else got one of these for Christmas???

Just finished setting up the system and am not impressed. There is a real hiss in the background at low volumes on each of the satellites for DVD/Radio/Analogue In. Is this normal for a low end machine? I didn't expect it to be absolutely mind blowing but this is rubbish!

Have heard about noisy fan problem with this system, but it is not the fan making all the noise.

Has anyone got any suggestions

Cheers

County

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I can't think of much configuration wise that could cause this. Perhaps the speakers are set to 'large' instead of 'small'. This would cause the full range of sound to be sent to the satellites and perhaps they would then produce background noise.

Otherwise the system could be faulty. I think failing or blown capacitors in either the psu stage or amplifier stage can cause this.

Sometimes it can be caused by inputting a weak analogue source via phonos. This causes the AGC circuitry to work hard and creates a lot of noise but if this was the case it shouldn't apply to dvd, tuner or optical input.

3. sd_cherry

sd_cherry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have recently bought this model and also have the hissing problem. I've contacted QED-UK.com (where I bought it from) and they are arranging for an engineer to visit.

In the mean time I have personally spoken to JVC and one of their technical guys about this issue. He thought it was a problem and that there should be no hissing noise coming from the speakers.

Have you tried audio CDs yet? I have and the rear satelites hiss like mad when you use just stereo sound from the fronts!

I've seen other articles on this problem earlier in December but no one seems to have an answer (yet!).

I'll let this forum know the outcome from my engineer's visit.

4. County

County

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CDs were as bad as anything else. They sounded like a poor quality tape recording. I took mine back to Richer Sounds, they were happy to give me a refund. I ended up buying the Toshiba SD43HK as a replacement, has all the same features as the JVC but without the hiss.

5. sd_cherry

sd_cherry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the engineer round and he's recommended a replacement system. I'll have to wait for QED-UK to send one out to me and then we'll check for that hissing again! I will post the results when I get the new system.

If the hissing occurs on the new one, then its back to JVC for a full refund and time to look for another system!

6. County

County

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think my problems are over either! The Toshiba SD43HK has a noisy fan, now that sounds familiar. The sound isn't that great either, the system is very bassy despite all best efforts to tone down. Dialogue is muffled, am slightly disapointed and wondering whether to take back.

This was meant to be a replacement for my TV hooked up to my stereo for rear speakers. I feel like I have a worse set up having just shelled out £220.

Not sure what other systems are good at entry level can anyone recommend? Would like DVD/PL II/Tuner.....

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The Toshiba is made for them by Samsung and its very similar to the highly rated Samsung HTDM150 except it has different satellite speakers. I suspect the subwoofer is basically the same though. Sounds like the satellite speakers aren't producing a lot of high frequency sound. The subwoofer should be adjustable from -6db to 6db and for tighter bass put it on hard surface up high on a shelf.

Here's my system;

http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2697

The JVC;

http://www.whathomecinemamag.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3235

The toshiba;

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...v.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3033

Possible alternative;

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbenc...v.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3046

The Samsung is still available for skybuy

http://skybuy.sky.com/addToBasket2.asp?STR=SKYBUY,,,,EA0441,,1664,,,,,&qty=1

I've also seen some good offers on the JVC THA-75R at about £340.

8. IainGamer

IainGamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I also have the hising noise.

Also the optical input doesnt work with an xbox or ps2 connected. I have checked the settings on these and used the machines on my sony surround amp with no problems.

What's wierd is the sound from the xbox works when I first switch the machine on but once a game starts up there's nothing.

I have used an external dvd player throught the optical input and that works fine in dolby dig.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Think I will just have to take back to Richer Sounds!

Iain

9. sd_cherry

sd_cherry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally given up! QED-UK couldn't offer me a replacement so I'm getting a full refund. I'm going to buy the LG LHD6230 which my in-laws bought for £150 from miller bros. The sound is just as good as the JVC and its £50 cheaper! Plus, no hissing or noisy fan (which was my other gripe!). It's also really easy to make multi-region (I did it for their one).

10. Lexx Luger

Lexx Luger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iaingamer, did you find out why you wasnt gettin any sound at of your xbox cause ive got exactly the same set up and youve described and im havin same problem !! :confused: