1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiss through front L&R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cheese Police, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem that's just cropped up.

I have an Arcam A32 integrated amp running my front L&R speakers, and a Sony STRDB1070 running the centre and surrounds (all MS Declaration series) . This whole set-up was running fine until about a week ago when I noticed that there was a loud hiss coming from the front speakers when playing DVDs. I did some tests, and concluded:

1/ There is no hiss when playing CDs directly through the A32, and the Sony isn't switched on. Sound quality is excellent.
    2/ If I change the input on the A32 to Tape (connected to the Sony pre-outs) I get a noticeable hiss coming from the tweeters (Sony still turned off).
    3/ If I switch on the Sony, the hiss gets much louder, and stays constant whether I play a DVD or not.
    4/ The hiss doesn't come from any of the other speakers
    5/ I've checked the interconnect and it seems secure at both ends.

All the kit is plugged into an Olsen Sound Fantastic mains board. Funnily enough I noticed this problem - there was the hiss and the odd crackle after they stopped the DVD - after my wife and her friend had watched Chicago (quite possibly the most over-hyped piece of **** I've ever had the misfortune to watch at least a part of, and easily the most wretched 20 minutes I've ever spent - so perhaps my amp has some discrimination?)

Seriously - what could be causing the problem? What should I check, or is the Sony buggered? Thx

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, I get the same problem...I originally thought my tweeters had blown, but now that doesn't seem to be the case...I had read on another forum that this guy had this problem -
    "When I turn my CD player on and off with the amps on I get a noise through the speakers, any ideas?"

and 2 seperate replies came back with -
    "turn the CD on first"
    and
    "turn the CD off last"....
    to be honest, I haven't tried this...!

3. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean - you should always switch the amp on last and off first, but are you saying turn on the Sony first, then the A32, since the Sony is effectively another source? Haven't tried this, but since this is a recent problem and things were working before, I wonder what impact it will have...

Do you have an integrated amp in your set-up, or do you mean you get hiss if you turn your DVD player on after your receiver? have you fixed the problem?