1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiss/hum on AVR100

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cmcdonnell, Aug 12, 2005.

1. cmcdonnell

cmcdonnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, last weekend I set up a surround system for my mum using my old AVR100. WHen I turned it on I heard a hiss/hum through the centre speaker (it was in surround mode), when I listened to the main LR speakers it was there but less so (they have a lower sensitivity so that may expalin it). It is also present in stereo. Adjusting the volume has very little effect (it does begin to get wors over 60 or so). My first thoughts was that the centre speaker was bad so I brought my B&W LCR6 s2 over, although lessened (lower sensitivity?) it was still present. I then unplugged all the cables and re attached them one by one, I tried a different speaker cable, all to no avail. I tried the ground lift switch as well.

Any ideas? I never noticed any hum/hiss in my flat but I was using B&W speakers (DM603s2, LCR6s2 and DS6s3) and sat a little further away than my mum does.

It's about 5 years old so it's out of warentee.

If it helps the speakers are Mission 734i's with Mission 77ds surrounds and a 77c centre.

Thanks

Chris