Hiss from Sony Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tan1415, Feb 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just bought the Strdb 940 from Sony.
    And when i turn up the volume over 1 quarter(9 o'clock) it starts to hiss.
    Most noticebly from my center speaker and my fronts.
    Even when only the amp is on.(other components are OFF)i still hear the hiss. turning the power up till 12 o'clock makes it Really noticeble.

I can't believe this amp has been so highly rated in all these magazines.
    Are the people deaf that tested it? or did they only test it at a low or very loud volume. (in Both cases you won't notice the Hiss)
    Anyway for me this problem is just Not acceptable. Right now the dialogue from my TV set is better/clearer than using my surround set and it's center speaker.

It seems that it's not only the 940 that has this problem...but also older models like the 930/925 or the 830.
    So i am curious if other owners of sony amps has this same problem.(Is it a common problem with Sony Amps)
    And what that have done to fix it or even if this is fixable.(Has sony acknowledge this problem, what have they done to fix it?)
    Avoiding using DSP modes or Bassboost is NOT an acceptable solution/fix.

Thanks a lot and i look forward to your feedback.

DT

PS I just saw the movie "The River Wild" with Meryll streep.
    That's exactly the effect that the Hiss has.
    It seems that all the movies you see has as a background a running river.
    To say the least very irritating.

2. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that you are having this problem, which some others have mentioned over the past couple of months.
    I also have the 940, but have noticed no such hissing problems, even with the volume turned way up.
    I only do this temporarily though, as turning it up above about 10 o'clock vibrates my entire flat - cue pictures falling off walls, ornaments coming off shelves, etc...
    Wonder if yours is part of a dodgy batch.

Gid

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I have the 930 and the only time i can hear any hissing is with the volume set to 1/3 (normal-loud-movie listening) just before the blue digital input led lights up. Once the blue digital led is on there is vertually no hiss, even with the dial over half way round!. Mind you i sometimes hear the tuner very faintly on other unused input channels (aux in etc).

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

4. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a STRB830 and one of the reasons I got rid of it and went for Denon was the hiss.

The Sony has a higher figure for THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) than Denon. This distortion (hiss) becomes more apparent as the amp is driven harder at higher volumes.

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys.

Gid: For movies i have to turn my amp at least till 9 o'clock for serious sound.
    After that you can hear the hiss increase dramatically.

Fulabeer: When the blue led is on...it means you're using DTS/DD source right?
    Well even using a digital cable the hiss is till noticeble.(i know what to look/hear for)
    But the most noticeble is when you use normal Non-digital sources(TV/VCR) with DPL.
    Than the Hiss is very notcible esspecially if you compared it with the TV's normal stereosound.
    I haven't connected any radio yet.

Tony: Even if the denon has better THD. The Sony's THD is more than respectable right?
    The salesperson told me that the more sensitive your speaker the more Hiss it will produce.

Anyway sony told me that the hiss is not a familiar problem, BUT they have the possibility to remedy it by upgrading the SOFTWARE or the receiver.(I didn't know you could do this)
    But i will have to lose the amp for 2 weeks.
    Well i rather exchange for the same model or look for a different model all together.

That's why i wanted to know if this is a common problem.
    I'd likely exchange it for another 940. And if has trouble again i'll think of buying exchanging it for a different amp.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would just point people in the direction of my post in the General Hardware section regarding an update of my 930/hiss problem

Regards

DTSFan2k

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    DT

Surely your Sony should still be under "Factory Warranty" and they should replace it with a new one. DD and DTS soundtracks have massive dynamic range and there should be no hiss, even at high volume levels.
    I went for a DENON AVC-A1SE and have had the volume up past 0dB (VERY LOUD) and there is no hiss whatsoever. For the record, before I went for the DENON I listened to the 940 in my local Sony Centre and we whacked up the volume pretty loud during quiet and loud scenes on a MIB DVD. There was no hiss, in fact it sounded excellent and I was very impressed.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that but I'd get them to replace it for a new one if I were you.

Mark B

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have been contacted by MI and they keep telling me that the service centre is not saying alot with regards progress about the work on the unit, they keep saying it's pending. So, when Musical Images phone today with the info (They got my e-mail complaint about not being contacted) I will ask them what I can do as the next step, because it seems that the work on the 930 is not very straightforward, with "parts" being replaced (That is a horrible problem if the internal workings need replacing).

MarkB, that is exactly the reason why I wanted to check things out about the hissing, because all my previous experiences of HC at tremendously high volumes have not brought up any hiss at all (We're talking demos of Yam DSP-A1, Denon AVP-A1 + POAT, 2 & 3 amps, Denon A1D). As my family (and no less my neighbours once) have heard, I like the sound to be room filling and so you have to turn it up to get the same "cinema" effect, I love the Dynamic ranges of DD and DTS but having what seems like the sounds of running water is very distracting.

I'll shall keep you guys posted.

...What will happen to his 930 and will he be phoned in time??......stay tuned for another episode of "Hit or Hiss"!!

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, sooner than I expected...but I got a call from MI Hounslow and they tell me that the only thing they can try is to go for a modification which is supposed to fix excessive hiss in the surrounds, whether it helps the other channels remains to be seen but if nothing can be done I am not accepting it back.

One other thing, some of these companies don't seem to know how knowledgable we people are with regards these sorts of things. I got told (And for my Sammy 807) that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet because some of it may not be true, well, I don't think people are going to complain this much about a particular unit (i.e. Sony 930/940) if there wasn't a problem. I emplore all people who have a problem with hissing to parhaps let Musical Images know that I am not the only case of having a hissing, which in my experience (Not alot but enough) should definitely not be there. Like I have said in the past, it cannot be an electrical disturbance as that would lead to only certain speakers being affected and it wouldn't be a hiss, it would be a hum or a buzz.

Ok, well they said they would call me on Monday or Tuesday, I hope the mod doesn't work cause I think I would just like to get away from Sony altogether as the hissing is not just attributed to the 930 (I have heard of the 830, 840, 940, DE-445, even the Flagship 777ES having hissing problems).

DTSFan2k

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let anyone interested know that I too am in the process of following up on getting my Sony STRD 940 Receiver checked out for the hissing sound.
    Today I phoned the dealer where I bought the receiver and informed him that Sony had told me to intially get it checked out to see what the problem was?
    The Dealer is going to get back to me by the weekend to see what procedure should be followed.
    For anyone with this receiver I will keep them posted as to how I get on.
    Hope it is Good news.
    P.s. EDITOR IF YOUR STILL OUT THERE IT WOULD BE GREAT TO GET A REPLY ON THE SAME SUBJECT SUBMITTED TO THE FEEDBACK FORUM......PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

martinc

11. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody Hell, i was on the verge of ordering this receiver, but after what i've read i've now got second thoughts about it. Maybe i'll try out the Denon 1801 or 2801 receivers. Thanks guys, you could have saved me some well earned £NOTES.
    Mark P.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTSfan2000,
    Don't worry about what musical images thinks (about communicating on the internet), we are consumers talking about problems and experiences we are having with particular components. This would not be possible any other way.
    If I was you, and I mean all of you that have the problem, I would contact Home Cinema Choice with your problems. Let the rest of the world know there is a hissing issue with their products and Sony may react in a better fashion – i.e. a product recall.
    [email protected]
    The best of luck to you all and keep us posted.
    Mark B

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    I phoned the dealer and he said he would get me a new Sony model but it may take them a while to get a silver one.As a result I asked if it was possible to get a yamaha amp instead as I have lost heart in the Sony.It is a great receiver,it is just a pity that this hissing sound is audible.I feel now I will find it very difficult to go away from Yamaha as this was the first amp I had....

martinc

14. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People keep going on about about the hissing, which I think is slightly audible at wuite loud volumes, when you pause a source or a source is not playing. Never whilst watching a film has my enjoyment been affected. But is this due to my amp not having the problem others have, my speakers not being so sensitive to the hiss, the fact I don't turn the eq on, or just that I'm not as picky as some people.

It's just if the problem is as some say am I just missing it?

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jmlane -
    If you can't hear the hiss then it's nothing to worry about. It seems that some people's Sony has the hiss and others don't, it's really strange as to why but being someone who has experienced first hand the hissing, it can get very annoying. I should get a call from MI this week and I may ask for a refund if nothing is done. If they have sorted out the hissing then I'll keep it (It is a very good receiver for movies, no question).

16. Koen

Koen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my sony da50-es for about a year now, and I'm still happy with it. As for the hiss,
    it only does that when you turn on that soundfield-thing on material that isn't ment to be processed, like cd-music. if you let it play in stereo for music, and use the auto-format decoding for movies, it gets really quiet.
    Cheers,

Koen

"I'll be right here"

17. TPO

TPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a Sony 940 (2mths) I was aware of the hissing problem other people were having before I bought it and made sure that I had an agreement with the shop that if there were any hissing problems with it that I would return it for a full refund. Good news for me!...no problems at all, very happy with it...driving Cinema 7 with no sub. If anything I find I can hear my Sony 735 going through it's paces more so than the amp. I guess it has to be a bad batch!!

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took my Sony back today and got my money refunded.........................................now theres definitely no hissing !!!!!

MARTINC

[This message has been edited by martinc (edited 28-02-2001).]

19. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martinc,

That's pretty nice of the store.
    When did you buy your amp?
    What amp are you now going to buy?
    I have looked around and i must say that the sony gives the most bang for the buck.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tan1415,it was very decent of the store as I boight my amp on 6th December 2000 and got my money back only 2 days ago after informing them 2 weeks ago approx of the hissing.
    In the the General chat thread I mentioned that I bought the Yamaha RXV 795 rds in Dixons discounted to £250 plus 5 years mastercare insurance for half price at £40 = £290 total.(This is ironic as it was the first amp I looked at before contemplating the Sony and it was priced at £350 BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
    The Sony is a fantastic receiver but I would not have felt content tan1415 had I kept it since the hissing was very noticeable on my own model but that does not mean that there are not models free from hissing.
    My initial impression of the Yamaha is that it was quoted as having 85 watts but seems to be every bit as powerful as the Sony as I tested it under the same conditions.I do not take away that the Sony is a very powerful receiver in saying this.So far the Yamaha is living up to my expectations,some people call it bright sounding but one thing I have noticed is the clarity of vocals and effects.
    If I am being honest had I not owned a budget Yamaha DSP 592 beforehand I may not have noticed the Sony hissing as my first entrance into budget home cinema.However,it is a bit like cars to me everyone has acquired a certain taste and sometimes it can be what you are used to whether Yamaha,Sony,Denon,etc.I hope this answers your questions alright tan1415 and please accept that I have not intended to offend anyone with a Sony940 receiver as it is a fantastic receiver.

martinc

21. paul mac

paul mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 840 amp which I have recently purchased and am running the Mission 6 pack with it. After reading about your problem I listened to mine. If I select an unused input such as Video3 and turn the sound right up I can hear a hissing sound, but at normal listening levels i.e volume no3 or 4 ( which is very loud ) you would have to put your ear to the speaker to hear this hiss, and to be quite honest I have been to local stores and tried this test with numerous other amps of all brands and most of them do it aswell even exspensive ones.