• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments

Clearandcolour

i am aware of the reviews from youtube and i found a few from europe but the problem is that there isn't many videos and comparisons about U8QF, only HDTVtest and a few other non professionals so it's hard to imagine the picture quality between them

samsung is indeed more refined and this worries me about U8QF motion problems, ghosting, not so good upscaling although i probably won't watch regular TV channels often

my usage will be about equal on all of the content, movies shows sports and youtube
if only there is more information from people who have u8qf and would like to share the flaws of the tv
like fore example the specs says the panel is 120hz but some people and HDTV test also says that the tv is displaying just 60hz? and from there is the worse motion??

stevebuk

Hi all,
Does anyone use Sky Q UHD with their U8Q? I can't seem to get HDR working with Sky Q. Seems that for HDR you need 10 Bit but the U8Q is only 8 bit? I've seen reviews saying that the HLG support of the TV works with Sky, but seems not so? Anyone got it working ok? Seems a real miss if the TV can't support HDR on Sky!

Dodgexander

Hi all,
Does anyone use Sky Q UHD with their U8Q? I can't seem to get HDR working with Sky Q. Seems that for HDR you need 10 Bit but the U8Q is only 8 bit? I've seen reviews saying that the HLG support of the TV works with Sky, but seems not so? Anyone got it working ok? Seems a real miss if the TV can't support HDR on Sky!
I don't own the TV but the bit depth of the TVs panel has nothing to do with the signal the TV can accept via HDMI. In fact, 10 bit panels don't mean the TV has better colours either, only the transition from one to the next can be smoother.

From this review:
The connections are at the rear and placed sideways and rearwards facing. Sideways you'll find a CI (common interface slot), dual RF tuners, two USB 2.0 ports and three HDMI 2.0b inputs. Rearwards is HDMI 4, an optical digital output and an Ethernet port. There’s also built-in Bluetooth and dual-band Wi-Fi for wireless connections.

So make sure you are using the HDMI 2.0b inputs and not the other. Also make sure on the TV in the settings you have 'HDMI Enhanced' set to the port that you plug Sky into.

Chappers78

Hi all,

How are you finding the TV? I'm really tempted to take the plunge on the 65 inch version, but a bit hesitant due to the reports of motion issues. I'm quite sensitive to motion and can't stand SOE. I've been looking at this or the XH9505 but this is easier to justify to the missus - is it twice the TV of the U8Q?

Chappers78

Non defeatable soap opera effect hasn't been an issue on TVs for years now. You can always turn it off.

Cheers Dodge. It's always the first thing I turn off. It's whether the motion issues with the U8Q are noticeable with it turned off that's my concern. I saw it on demo at Costco and I didn't notice anything - it actually looked pretty good - but I'm assuming it was a built-in demo, not anything from a STB or aerial. Wondering if this is where it rears it's head.

Dodgexander

Cheers Dodge. It's always the first thing I turn off. It's whether the motion issues with the U8Q are noticeable with it turned off that's my concern. I saw it on demo at Costco and I didn't notice anything - it actually looked pretty good - but I'm assuming it was a built-in demo, not anything from a STB or aerial. Wondering if this is where it rears it's head.
The TV is rough around the edges with weaker upscaling and handling of motion compared to other brands but it also gives HDR performance unknown of at this budget. Other TVs may be a better choice (like the Sony XH9005) if you aren't going to watch HDR and prefer to watch regular TV or sport. But the Hisense is the better TV for a movie enthusiast who wants to enjoy the latest and greatest quality content because of its HDR capabilities compared to other TVs.

To get the best of both worlds you can expect to pay 40% more for TVs like the Samsung Q80T, Q85T or Sony XH9505. Even the Samsung models have reported motion issues though.

Motion is always subjective, there are reviews that mention motion issues, those that don't. It doesn't just depend on what you watch, but also your own eyes. Make sure to buy from a reputable source so you can return the TV if you are unhappy.

Chappers78

The TV is rough around the edges with weaker upscaling and handling of motion compared to other brands but it also gives HDR performance unknown of at this budget. Other TVs may be a better choice (like the Sony XH9005) if you aren't going to watch HDR and prefer to watch regular TV or sport. But the Hisense is the better TV for a movie enthusiast who wants to enjoy the latest and greatest quality content because of its HDR capabilities compared to other TVs.

To get the best of both worlds you can expect to pay 40% more for TVs like the Samsung Q80T, Q85T or Sony XH9505. Even the Samsung models have reported motion issues though.

Motion is always subjective, there are reviews that mention motion issues, those that don't. It doesn't just depend on what you watch, but also your own eyes. Make sure to buy from a reputable source so you can return the TV if you are unhappy.

That's another benefit with Costco - pretty much a 90 day, no quibble trial. Will give it a bit more thought and another look. Will see what Black Friday brings...

terminator6912

I purchased the 55U8QF from costco and will be delivered next week, it will be mainly used for gaming and it has really good hdr performance which i want more than hdmi 2.1. There are many articles about the ps5 and xbox with not many games running at 4K 120hz anyway.

gnachev

Novice Member
Hello guys,

I'll really appreciate your feedback on the topic.

So I can get the 65" U8QF for 800 euros at the moment which is basically a steal.

Two things are still stopping me from going all the way through

1. Some users have shared concerns of lifter blacks with latest software update
2. 8bit+FRC downgrading the HDR performance (since "real" hdr requires 10bit panel on paper at least)

Can anybody confirm or deny any of the above.

Thanks in advance!

Dodgexander

Hello guys,

I'll really appreciate your feedback on the topic.

So I can get the 65" U8QF for 800 euros at the moment which is basically a steal.

Two things are still stopping me from going all the way through

1. Some users have shared concerns of lifter blacks with latest software update
2. 8bit+FRC downgrading the HDR performance (since "real" hdr requires 10bit panel on paper at least)

Can anybody confirm or deny any of the above.

Thanks in advance!
1. Not heard of that, maybe a user can confirm.
2. Not a requirement of HDR at all. The TV only has to accept 10 bit colour, not display it. Don't get worried about bit depth so much, more bits doesn't mean its better colour. It just means the transition of one colour to the next can be smoother. Sometimes 10 bit panels have poorer transitions than 8 bit.

At this kind of money and the specs of the TV its basically a steal. Yes its rough around the edges but what other TV comes close to performing as well as this with HDR for the same kind of money?

gnachev

Novice Member
1. Not heard of that, maybe a user can confirm.
2. Not a requirement of HDR at all. The TV only has to accept 10 bit colour, not display it. Don't get worried about bit depth so much, more bits doesn't mean its better colour. It just means the transition of one colour to the next can be smoother. Sometimes 10 bit panels have poorer transitions than 8 bit.

At this kind of money and the specs of the TV its basically a steal. Yes its rough around the edges but what other TV comes close to performing as well as this with HDR for the same kind of money?

I am referring to K0725 update for H9G, which I know is not same TV, but still kind of a US equivalent of U8QF and still the both receive their software updates from Hisense I was afraid U8 might have suffered the same.

More specifically the update introduces even further bump in brightness, but with that come far more noticeable blowing artefact (hunting), wich I'd hate.

Full details on this 🤡 video:

Please see attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201104-091227.jpg
    Screenshot_20201104-091227.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 44

Riko1220

Novice Member
I am referring to K0725 update for H9G, which I know is not same TV, but still kind of a US equivalent of U8QF and still the both receive their software updates from Hisense I was afraid U8 might have suffered the same.

More specifically the update introduces even further bump in brightness, but with that come far more noticeable blowing artefact (hunting), wich I'd hate.

Full details on this 🤡 video:

Please see attachment.
This is the latest firmware which fixes the problem of the video you shared and this guy have videos about this problem in his channel, I think U8QF have problem with motion on 24fps movies where this 5:5 pulldown thing don't work because the tv accept 120hz signal but skipps the frames something like that. I don't know how big of a problem is but most reviews of this tv mention problem with motion.

fawcett

Whats the latest news on this model

has the firmware sorted sny of the motion issues or back light issues?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Have they got a good user interface yet? I wouldn't buy another Hisense until they sort that out, it's terrible.

gnachev

Novice Member
Guys,

Good reviews, or any reviews on the U8QF are practcally non existand. So we kind of rely on this communty to come up with something useful, the guys that already took the leap and bought the freaking TV.

Give us some elaborative thoughts on how the TV is handling the below with latest software patches:

1. Local dimming, black levels, blooming
2. HDR/SDR contect from streaming services, or bluray whatever.
3. Has the upscaling improved
4. Has the motion improved

If somebody else think of something more, do add to the list please, but I'm certain I'm not alone relying on some of you to make informed decission and make up my mind if I shall either go for the TV or skip on it and go for something more expensive, but not necessary BETTER in terms of performance.

Thank you in advance!

dstojic

Standard Member
I install K0901 and I think that improvement exists in terms of faster boot, and stability of system. Cast and streaming options seems more stable and connection seems faster. In terms of motion handling I'm not feeling enough competent but I think that area is slightly better then with 0703. I'm very satisfied with 65U8QF.

IlD4nX

I install K0901 and I think that improvement exists in terms of faster boot, and stability of system. Cast and streaming options seems more stable and connection seems faster. In terms of motion handling I'm not feeling enough competent but I think that area is slightly better then with 0703. I'm very satisfied with 65U8QF.
Where did you download the updated firmware ?

IlD4nX

Updated my 55U81QF with the latest K0901 and I agree: good update for me too !

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett