Hisense U8GQ Owners Thread

My tv finally arrived today after abit of a delay. What settings do you recommend for SDR,HDR content? gaming too if you know? Out the box I do think the picture looks fine,big difference from my last last tv! but want the best possible picture I can get. Thanks in advance.
Also wondering about gaming settings.

For Netflix Dolby vision I'm currently using the settings below:

HDR Calibration: Dolby vision custom
Backlight: 100, High Dimming, light sensor off
Brightness: 49
Contrast: 89
Color: 59
Sharpness: 5
Adaptive Contrast: Medium
Smooth Motion: Off
Both Noise: Off
Temperature: Warm1
Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2
Gamma calibration: 5% 5, 10% 4, 15% 3, 20% 2, 25% 1, all others zero.

Good morning ppl.

How does the tv behave playing 4k x265/hevc mkv files from usb?

Im thinking on buying the 65" (1000€). is this till a good buy?

Thanks

Hi!
I know that the panel is 120hz but can't display it at 4k. Does anybody know if it can in 1440p?
Does 1440p , 120 hz work?

And does anybody know why the VRR is not showing up in the settings? Only ALLM is showing for me in picture settings. Thanks :)

And does anybody know why the VRR is not showing up in the settings? Only ALLM is showing for me in picture settings. Thanks :)
I don't think VRR is a TV setting to adjust, like on PC monitors it supports it but it's up to you whether you turn it on or off on the device you are using like a games console or PC.

I tried briefly and got 1080p 120hz but I couldn't get 1440p 120hz to work. It should be possible but I didn't have much time to play with settings.

My only question is between what frame rates does the VRR work, l wonder if this TV covers 30 to 120hz?

VRR just turns on when playing games on Xbox Series X for example. Works nicely - some games look smoother than PS5 noticeably.

Quick question, since my set should arrive next week, i can't confirm this one.

Does the U8GQ (EU Model) support "Film Maker Mode" ?

The US site has this listed for there U8G model, while the EU webpages do not. The EU manual also does not mention this under any of the TV mode settings, yet on the first page here it is listed as a feature?

Quick question, since my set should arrive next week, i can't confirm this one.

Does the U8GQ (EU Model) support "Film Maker Mode" ?

The US site has this listed for there U8G model, while the EU webpages do not. The EU manual also does not mention this under any of the TV mode settings, yet on the first page here it is listed as a feature?
There is a setting for film maker mode auto detect. I haven't found anything to watch that supports film maker mode so can't say if it works or not.

Btw HDMI 2.0 vs HDMI 2.1, from what i have read, the issue is the renaming by the hdmi.org and subsequent deprecation of hdmi 2.0 naming.

This means any new TV will (must) be advertised as "hdmi 2.1 conform", since there is no hdmi 2.0 anymore and it is actually required to use this new confusing naming. In essence all "old" hdmi 2.1 features are optionally now and the manufacturer needs to list all "optional" features separately. This in essence means any new TV that is "hdmi 2.1 conform" without any of the extra ALLM, VRR .... features listed is essential a hdmi 2.0 model. Unfortunately "4k@120hz" is also optionally, so don't get confused by the "hdmi 2.1 conform" naming, which basically all new devices will have. If they do not list the "optional" 2.1 features, it does not have those.

So by those new rules from the hdmi.org the U8GQ is indeed "hdmi 2.1 conform" with the extra listed ALLM, VRR features.

I have no clue why they changed this, but guess they looked at USB3.x naming changes and thought they could make a bigger mess....

Source: What Does It Mean When Gear is Marketed as HDMI 2.1 Product?

Here is the most relevant quote:
Q: Are all new HDMI products HDMI 2.1 products? A: Products can no longer be certified for HDMI 2.0. They are now certified as either HDMI 1.4b or HDMI 2.1 products. HDMI 2.1 products are required to implement at least one or more of the features from the HDMI 2.1 Specification and of course manufacturers have to explicitly state the features supported.

Last edited:
There is a setting for film maker mode auto detect. I haven't found anything to watch that supports film maker mode so can't say if it works or not.
Thanks, from what i see on the FAQ, while there is a "auto" metadata option, for now you have to enable this manually.

Its in essence gamemode (all PP disabled) and color space set to warm, with maybe some device specific settings. Just a convenient way to at least try-out the movie/tv show as it was calibrated for.

PS: FAQs - Filmmaker Mode

Latest settings for Netflix

Contrast: 80
Color: 53
Sharpness: 0
Adaptive Contrast: Low
Gamma calibration: 5% 7, 10% 4, 15% 2, all others zero.
White balance: R-gain +3, G-gain +3

For those who don’t have a soundbar due to lack of space/other reasons - what sound settings are you using? Personally for me-

Dolby Atmos - Theatre
Bass Boost - 3
Wall mount checked
Auto volume checked

Yeah my set arrived and fiddling for the last 2 days i found that any mode without Smooth Motion set results in visible jaggy edges judder? The edges look like aliasing artifacts only when the picture is in motion, if i stop the effect goes away.

So i have to at least always set Smooth Motion to Film mode, which is fine. The side-effect is that i cant use IMAX, Dolby Vision IQ modes, since they have Smooth Motion option disabled.

I also noticed that any light sensor mode = on, is always way too dark, even if i boost the offset to +10. So i always have to manually adjust the backlit strength, which is annoying.

Whats also strange is that "Filmmaker" mode is just a preset you can freely adjust, so if you are not carefully the default settings are easily changed, without any quick way to reset those back.

Yeah my set arrived and fiddling for the last 2 days i found that any mode without Smooth Motion set results in visible jaggy edges judder? The edges look like aliasing artifacts only when the picture is in motion, if i stop the effect goes away.

So i have to at least always set Smooth Motion to Film mode, which is fine. The side-effect is that i cant use IMAX, Dolby Vision IQ modes, since they have Smooth Motion option disabled.

I also noticed that any light sensor mode = on, is always way too dark, even if i boost the offset to +10. So i always have to manually adjust the backlit strength, which is annoying.

Whats also strange is that "Filmmaker" mode is just a preset you can freely adjust, so if you are not carefully the default settings are easily changed, without any quick way to reset those back.
Do you have any sharpness turned on?

Do you have any sharpness turned on?
No all processing was disabled, but i found the issue.
This motion jagginess (especially visible on text) only happens via my HTPC and not if i try plex app on TV or the vidaa player via DLNA.
After testing all picture options, the only way to fix this for HTPC output, is by either enabling game/pc mode or enabling any of the SmoothMotion options.

Hi all.

I'm currently looking to buy a new TV (my budget isn't to great as I'm only just getting back on my feet)

I currently have sky glass and I would avoid it at all costs. Panel issues seem to affect all TVs to a degree (big bands that run up and down the panel)

Previous to that I had a u7qf. The u7 is within my budget however I can't stretch much over 500 at the moment. I did notice that the u8gq did drop to 500 recently. Is the u8gq a much better tv? Especially when there around the same price? The TV will be used for films / TV and gaming.

Thank you

Btw can someone verify this strange color behavior via HTPC RGB/YUY output?
  • set color temp to "Normal" than switch Full Array Local dimming from off -> low/high
    • observe colors
  • repeat the above steps with temp set to "Warm1"
On my TV only on HTPC/PC output mode if i use "Warm1/2" and than just switch FALD from off->low i get a visible shift in colors (more warm, yellow). It looks like as if the temp profile is applied two times, as soon as i enable FALD. This does not happen in "normal" mode or if i use native/direct TV mode/App output. Its super weird and took me a while to figure out.

Just in case anyone happened to buy this TV from Currys in the UK, I have written confirmation that the five year warranty advertised is with Currys. If someone stumbles upon this in the future please hit me up, I'll show you it in writing.

Hi all.

I'm currently looking to buy a new TV (my budget isn't to great as I'm only just getting back on my feet)

I currently have sky glass and I would avoid it at all costs. Panel issues seem to affect all TVs to a degree (big bands that run up and down the panel)

Previous to that I had a u7qf. The u7 is within my budget however I can't stretch much over 500 at the moment. I did notice that the u8gq did drop to 500 recently. Is the u8gq a much better tv? Especially when there around the same price? The TV will be used for films / TV and gaming.

Thank you
The U8GQ is a 120hz panel, which in theory means it handles motion better than the U7QF. It's also much brighter, meaning it's good for HDR material. It also has much better built-in sound. The only advantage the U7QF has is that it has a VA panel, meaning better contrast, which will be evident in a dark room (but worse viewing angles from the side).

The U8GQ is a 120hz panel, which in theory means it handles motion better than the U7QF. It's also much brighter, meaning it's good for HDR material. It also has much better built-in sound. The only advantage the U7QF has is that it has a VA panel, meaning better contrast, which will be evident in a dark room (but worse viewing angles from the side).
Much appreciated. I ordered mine this morning from ao for 600 for the 55inch. Not as good as some of you have had from Costco however much better than Amazon. Noticed after ordering the price did go up ever so slightly.

I'm hoping I don't notice the contrast to much. I do play my Xbox in the evenings. Will feed back however I can imagine it will be better overall than sky glass.

Edit: does anyone's display stick out ever so slightly from the frame?

Last edited:
Much appreciated. I ordered mine this morning from ao for 600 for the 55inch. Not as good as some of you have had from Costco however much better than Amazon. Noticed after ordering the price did go up ever so slightly.

I'm hoping I don't notice the contrast to much. I do play my Xbox in the evenings. Will feed back however I can imagine it will be better overall than sky glass.

Edit: does anyone's display stick out ever so slightly from the frame?
Yes the screen on this TV sticks out from the frame instead of being mounted inside.

does contrast that high not clip. What is the default contrast.

LIke some others on here I purchased the 65U8GQ after reading what it turns out to be reviews of the US model 🤦‍♂️ 100% my fault.

I have an ageing LG B6 55" OLED but had come frustrated with the lack of brightness and eARC port, so decided to go with this as a shortish) term solution until the next gen of OLED and mini LED become viable and at just over £700 for the 65" this seemed to fit the bill.

I am not totally unhappy but I do have a little buyers remorse as it is not the TV I thought I was buying. Picture is mostly very good and it is brighter than the LG (not by as much as I was expecting though) but overall it does feel like a step down in PQ especially at night. When it looks good it is excellent but I find a lot of content just looks darker than I would like for lower-lit scenes, despite the backlight being at 100. I have the US model settings applied right now, they are not a million miles away from those posted by NBH (thanks BTW) so I will try those tonight.

Right now I am not unhappy enough the warrant the hassle of taking it off of the wall and boxing it back up to return but if I had my time again I probably would have gone for something else or held fire.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom