Hisense U8GQ Owners Thread

I’ve returned a TV via Amazon before with no issue. my wife wondered why we was getting a new one too and then I just explained to her all the programmes will be brighter and she can have some money from the old one - that helped 😂
Very generous, any money I get from my old TV will go towards the new one but then again I'm paying for the TV and my wife probably watches it more than I do.

Already turned the ambilight off to get use to not having it lol

Calibration Settings:

Please note, calibration settings are preference and each panel is different. Luckily the U8GQ is pre-calibrated well out the box.

SDR - Cinema Day(Standard):
Backlight: 100
Local Dimming: Maximum
Brightness, Contrast, Color: 50
Saturation, Sharpness: 0
Adaptive Contrast: Off for SDR
Ultra Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction(Both): Off
Temperature: Warm1

Expert Settings:
Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

HDR Day: Leave all settings but change Contrast to 55 and Color to 60. Set Gamut to Native. If you want a more “Popping” image, change Adaptive Brightness to High.

IMAX Cinema: if you don’t want to mess with settings.

Dolby Vision IQ:
Same as HDR Day settings.
if you care about black levels and don’t mind sacrificing some brightness, going to 45-40 brightness is an option, also turning off Adaptive Brightness, although you will lose some of the “Popping” look. Everyone has a different preference.

These calibration settings may change slightly over the next few days, but I think these may be about perfect. Feel free to comment your opinions.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm considering purchasing this TV and thank you, this thread has been very helpful. I wondered if this TV has access to the DAZN app in the UK.

Ok. Enjoy I guess. I responded with the official reply from Hisense which points out what you were wrong about and other features that are better on U8GQ. If you have a U8QF and are just coming in here to try and make U8GQ look worse you failed. Just enjoy your TV and don’t go in threads of other TVs to slander them. Not like I’m going in the U8QF thread and saying how bad the Red Ghosting is, etc. Sheesh 🙄
I'm not slander it at all, just saying it has different features. Yet reviews say it's a downgrade from the u8qf but each to there own. I have learnt from many years of dealing with hisence that take everything with a pinch of salt. When I was testing the hisense xt910 which was hisenses first tv in the UK a 65"full array 240 zone hdr curved TV which I had I tested and found lots of bugs. And the chief engineer at the time Chris Hallas was in direct contact with me and I tested the firmware before release. Chris Hallas no longer works for them and lack of knowledge is very poor. Last year my hisense xt910 delveloped a problem
. Hisense UK tried saying the had never heard of and model xt910. And continued this via email and phone calls. I sent them pictures and reviews. This was a 2500 pound TV. In the end I sorted it my self. And this is a TV that's 5/6 years old.

Doesn't adaptive contrast high crush blacks like mad.

Initial Calibration Settings:

Please note, calibration settings are preference and each panel is different. Luckily the U8GQ is pre-calibrated well out the box.

System>HMDI+CEC>Enable Enhanced.

SDR - Theatre Night(Standard):
Backlight: 100 (You may want 80)
Local Dimming: High
Brightness, Contrast, Color: 50
Saturation, Sharpness: 0
Adaptive Contrast: Off for SDR
Ultra Smooth Motion: Off
Noise Reduction(Both): Off
Temperature: Warm1

Expert Settings:
Gamut: Auto
Color Tuner: Coming Soon™
Gamma: 2.2

HDR Theatre(Popping): Leave all settings but change Contrast to 55 and Color to 60. Set Adaptive Contrast to High. Gamut to Native(change to Auto if content over saturates).

Gaming Mode:
(Current Source, not All Sources)
Coming Soon™

Dolby Vision(Popping): Use DV Bright. Leave rest of settings alone but use High Adaptive Contrast if you want it to come alive.

if you care about black levels and don’t mind sacrificing some brightness, going to 45-40 brightness is an option

These calibration settings may change slightly over the next few days, but I think these may be about perfect. Feel free to comment your opinions.
Thanks for the settings, I will give them a go when I get the TV.

I found a video on YouTube with similar SDR settings (for the previous model but they say it works for this one) so these are probably about right.

Back in stock at Costco now so just cancelled my Amazon order with 3 year cover and saved about £140.

Last edited:

I found a video on YouTube with similar SDR settings (for the previous model but they say it works for this one) so these are probably about right.

Back in stock at Costco now so just cancelled my Amazon order with 3 year cover and saved about £140.
Oh god you’re lucky. I just made a HotUKDeals post because why not. 👍

Can you please share the youtube video

Price back upto £656 on Amazon, looks like £583 was the best price it went to, I'm happy I got it for £588

Price back upto £656 on Amazon, looks like £583 was the best price it went to, I'm happy I got it for £588
Yeah - £588 is still an incredible price considering the alternative options tbh. Not surprised it’s gone back to £650. Enjoy 👍

Finally finished the Calibration Settings, check first post. Again, Adaptive Contrast is a preference thing for HDR. It doesn’t look right with it off to me personally. Let’s see everyone else’s opinions!

34F587CB-B740-4A60-B2A9-495A1B710B08.jpeg

F3B48446-862E-4C44-8FA7-FA687647D156.jpeg

08AE6C91-461E-432F-8020-73AB77CAE2CB.jpeg

Some other pictures to add as font see many online.

Last edited:
Can anyone post some photos of the TV in action like SDR, HDR etc so we can see what it looks like?

Mines finally been dispatched from Amazon, will be here Saturday, paid a bit more than the Costco deal but still happy with the price

Mine was meant to be coming tomorrow but has now been confirmed as coming on Monday. Think I've watched every YouTube video several times.

Anyone got any thoughts on the govee lights that mimic ambilight? That's the only bit of my current tv I will miss but online the colours don't look very accurate, just like it displays blue, green, red or purple.

If you want ambient light make sure it's a rgwb set of leds.

For me the settings shared here do not work for my liking
I am using the settings from the u8qf thread which looks ok for now

Judging by the lack of posts in here I'm hoping there are no issues and everyone is enjoying their TV.

I read in the U8QF thread that 4K on the built in iPlayer app has stopped working, can anyone confirm on this model? I hope it still works, I was looking forward to catching up on some series I missed in 4K HDR.

Judging by the lack of posts in here I'm hoping there are no issues and everyone is enjoying their TV.

I read in the U8QF thread that 4K on the built in iPlayer app has stopped working, can anyone confirm on this model? I hope it still works, I was looking forward to catching up on some series I missed in 4K HDR.
Iplayer UHD videos still showing up on my tv

iPlayer 4K works fine.

So any PS5 players in here?
I’m absolutely SHOCKED by Ratchet and Clank on this TV. The game looks so vibrant and different compared to my last tv(U7A, 350nits)

It’s like a bigger upgrade than PS4>PS5 it’s almost like my last tv, even though it was 4K and HDR just wasn’t enough for the console.

Only thing I can suggest is to look at other TVs under £800 and compare the HDR, feature sets and stuff like that and keep in mind this is the UK one so - lower contrast, better viewing angles, no HDMI 2.1, but next gen features VRR,ALLM, etc. I can guarantee you won’t find a better value TV in this price range and I’ll wager real money on it too. 😂
Mate, I have seen the review on YouTube saying that using the bias light on the back of the IPS tv increases the contrast if you are watching in the evening lights off. Do you agree with that? I can buy Govee TV strip lights (Govee Immersion Wi-Fi TV Backlights) and enjoy the TV:) I’ll buy today the 65 inch version U8GQTUK.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom