Hisense U8GQ Owners Thread

viper76

Standard Member
Played around with the TV and settings a bit more last night and this morning. To be honest I'm pretty happy with the cinema day preset but with motion, mpeg reduction and noise reduction all off. For local dimming I picked medium, low didn't seem to make the dark parts dark enough. One thing I noticed though is that the local dimming has to work against the natural backlight bleed of the IPS screen. Mine has more bleed in the top right corner so the local dimming there isn't as effective. This is very obvious if you mute the TV and the mute icon glows on and off but in general TV viewing you don't notice it.

The screen looks pretty clean, sometimes DSE right down the middle but it's much better than my old TV which had several vertical bars. Slight darker patches in the corners but minimal.

HDR looks great, clearly brighter than my old TV. Had an issue with not being able to adjust any picture settings in Dolby vision IQ mode so put it on custom and turned motion etc off.

Playing media from my network works great and is fast, no buffering.

Overall I'm happy with the TV, so much better than my last one and it is very good for £500.
My tv screen is not that clean I can see a dark patches on all 4 corners of the screen when I tested for any dead pixels using videos from youtube and you can spot it specially when showing a full color background like white or green .

maybe I should send it back for a replacement.

NBH

My tv screen is not that clean I can see a dark patches on all 4 corners of the screen when I tested for any dead pixels using videos from youtube and you can spot it specially when showing a full color background like white or green .

There are darker corners but my old TV had the same, I think it's just hard to get the light right into the corners with back lit tech.

When watching any test videos you have to be careful not to convince yourself the TV is bad as they tend to show extreme situations that you don't get in normal viewing, if it looks acceptable but not perfect on the test then it should be fine for general viewing.

viper76

Standard Member
There are darker corners but my old TV had the same, I think it's just hard to get the light right into the corners with back lit tech.

When watching any test videos you have to be careful not to convince yourself the TV is bad as they tend to show extreme situations that you don't get in normal viewing, if it looks acceptable but not perfect on the test then it should be fine for general viewing.
You may be right in what you said .
The other issue I have is when I wastched the snooker the balls looks blurry and fuzzy specially a round the balls edges.

NBH

You may be right in what you said .
The other issue I have is when I wastched the snooker the balls looks blurry and fuzzy specially a round the balls edges.
What were you viewing the snooker on, built in Freeview or from a set top box and SD or HD? I would think the only things that could affect that are the sharpness, noise reduction or mpeg reduction, what settings were they on?

viper76

Standard Member
What were you viewing the snooker on, built in Freeview or from a set top box and SD or HD? I would think the only things that could affect that are the sharpness, noise reduction or mpeg reduction, what settings were they on?
I was watching bbc HD on a satellite box and also on iplayer HD all reductions setting were off and sharpness on 0 .

TravellerSeko

Can you please share the video you mentioned? I would like to test mine as well. I only watch Netflix, Disney channel, and youtube, nothing else.

NBH

Anyone think the light bleed in the top right corner is too much or an I being picky?
20220118_161947.jpg

Picture is fine full screen, added some lighting to test whether it makes a difference. Noticed the usb3 socket supplies power all the time so they will stay on when the TV is off, I'm going to try th we usb 2 socket and see if it does the same.

Edit, actually the power does go off after a while.

Attachments

• 20220119_090045~2.jpg
    20220119_090045~2.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

TravellerSeko

Anyone think the light bleed in the top right corner is too much or an I being picky?
View attachment 1638912

Picture is fine full screen, added some lighting to test whether it makes a difference. Noticed the usb3 socket supplies power all the time so they will stay on when the TV is off, I'm going to try th we usb 2 socket and see if it does the same.

Edit, actually the power does go off after a while.
I think I see a bit bleed on the corner. Was it 55 or 65 inch?

NBH

I ordered 65 inch but still waiting for delivery. I’ll check if I have the same issue or not. Do you see that on Netflix movies instead of dirty screen test videos?
It's there all the time when the back light comes on just below, with 16:9 content the picture fills the screen so it looks fine, with 21:9 with the black bars it's there most of the time unless the top right of the actual picture is very dark. In general both sides of the screen suffer from a bit of light bleed but it's only really noticeable on videos on YouTube where the background is mostly dark.

An oled it is not but I love the 1000 nits brightness and picture quality. A lot of hassle swapping TVs and no panel is perfect, the next one could have a worse issue elsewhere so thinking I will deal with it at the moment.

TravellerSeko

It's there all the time when the back light comes on just below, with 16:9 content the picture fills the screen so it looks fine, with 21:9 with the black bars it's there most of the time unless the top right of the actual picture is very dark. In general both sides of the screen suffer from a bit of light bleed but it's only really noticeable on videos on YouTube where the background is mostly dark.

An oled it is not but I love the 1000 nits brightness and picture quality. A lot of hassle swapping TVs and no panel is perfect, the next one could have a worse issue elsewhere so thinking I will deal with it at the moment.
I agree with you. I think this is a general issue of these panels, not specific to Hisense. I’ll update here when I get my TV as well. Thanks mate

I've had my TV for 5 days now and gotta say the picture quality is superb for 4K content.

I watched the new BBC documentary on iPlayer, a couple of dolby vision movies on itunes and Disney+

I'm dissapointed with the sound quality from the TV although I wasn't expecting much from that tbh, a soundbar is a must.

I had a play around with the picture and used the calibration settings in here for cinema day SDR and feel the channels I was watching on Sky Q looked odd - I was watching Last of the summer wine and preferred standard over the picture I got when using the settings recommended.

I'm putting this down to UK Gold HD not being a good choice to try the settings out on.

NBH

I've had my TV for 5 days now and gotta say the picture quality is superb for 4K content.

I watched the new BBC documentary on iPlayer, a couple of dolby vision movies on itunes and Disney+

I'm dissapointed with the sound quality from the TV although I wasn't expecting much from that tbh, a soundbar is a must.

I had a play around with the picture and used the calibration settings in here for cinema day SDR and feel the channels I was watching on Sky Q looked odd - I was watching Last of the summer wine and preferred standard over the picture I got when using the settings recommended.

I'm putting this down to UK Gold HD not being a good choice to try the settings out on.
Yeah I'm loving the TV more each day. I have also been watching UHD stuff on iPlayer and it looks amazing, I feel like I need to go back and watch stuff on Netflix again just to see it on this TV in decent HDR.

Yeah trying to perfect picture settings on upscaled old content isn't easy.

I noticed that if you choose cinema night then it defaults to HDR night if you watch something in HDR. I would rather HDR day as it's brighter so I need to set cinema day up again as I was messing around with it. Warm 1 is meant to be the most accurate but sometimes it feels a little too warm.

I tried the advanced contrast thing and it's much better then on my old TV but I still leave it off. I need to sit down this weekend and go through the settings properly.

TravellerSeko

Yeah, soundbar is recommended by many people👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 I’ll play around with the settings as well:)

NBH

I will admit I haven't tried the speakers, usually I expect to hear them during set up until I tell the TV to play through my AV system but because I used the arc connection it picked it up automatically.

I found adding some back lighting improves the contrast, nothing fancy just a couple of 50cm led strips powered by usb and stick them to the back. They then come on with the TV and the TV cuts power to the usb 3 socket about 5 minutes after you turn the TV off so you don't need to do anything with them once set up.

TravellerSeko

I will admit I haven't tried the speakers, usually I expect to hear them during set up until I tell the TV to play through my AV system but because I used the arc connection it picked it up automatically.

I found adding some back lighting improves the contrast, nothing fancy just a couple of 50cm led strips powered by usb and stick them to the back. They then come on with the TV and the TV cuts power to the usb 3 socket about 5 minutes after you turn the TV off so you don't need to do anything with them once set up.
This is probably what I’m gonna do. I would love to get a strip lights and increase the contrast of the tv. First I thought I would get mimicking lights but then people here advised me to check white strip lights (6000K-6500K). I’ll give it a try for all:)

NBH

This is probably what I’m gonna do. I would love to get a strip lights and increase the contrast of the tv. First I thought I would get mimicking lights but then people here advised me to check white strip lights (6000K-6500K). I’ll give it a try for all:)
I looked at 6500k lights but the set listed in here by Hamlite come from America and it's expensive. I'm looking at cheaper options, the ones I have are ok but the light looks a bit green.

Quick question

When I swap from my HDMI 1 which is Sky Q to my HDMI 2 AppleTV and play a Dolby Vision movie I get flickering in the background.

Has anyone else experienced this.

I don't know if it's a setting I have incorrectly set up as if I restart my ATV box and play the title it's perfect.

NBH

Quick question

When I swap from my HDMI 1 which is Sky Q to my HDMI 2 AppleTV and play a Dolby Vision movie I get flickering in the background.

Has anyone else experienced this.

I don't know if it's a setting I have incorrectly set up as if I restart my ATV box and play the title it's perfect.
Have you tried different combinations of hdmi sockets to see if the same thing keeps happening?

I haven't yet, I have a One X in 3 and a switch in 4 but haven't noticed any problem when swapping from Sky to the Xbox.

I may swap the cables and have a play around and see if that solves the issue. I'm guessing it's not a fault with the TV as it works fine when I restart the ATV and play a movie.

I did notice my Sky Q was set to 50hz and the ATV 60hz but no idea if that would matter when auto switching by pressing menu on the ATV remote to switch it on.

NBH

Anyone know how to unlock settings under Dolby vision IQ? It has motion settings turned on and you can't turn them off, is this what Dolby recommend or is this a bug? I'm using Dolby vision custom to get round it.

Also, I thought IQ uses the light sensor but in the backlight settings you can turn it off. Does that mean Dolby vision IQ is working as intended or not?

NBH

Thought I would share my current settings:

SDR Calibration: (Cinema Day)
Backlight: 50, High Dimming, light sensor off
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 80
Color: 50
Sharpness: 0
Adaptive Contrast: Off
Smooth Motion: Off
Both Noise: Off
Temperature: Warm1
Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

HDR Calibration: (HDR Day)
Backlight: 100, High Dimming, light sensor off
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 80
Color: 52
Sharpness: 0
Adaptive Contrast: Off
Smooth Motion: Off
Both Noise: Off
Temperature: Warm1
Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp