Hisense U8GQ Owners Thread

Andy2222

Standard Member
Btw is/was anyone able to somehow get a response from Hisense/EU/UK, regarding new FW or beta FW updates? I tried twitter, but there is only Hisense US and got no response.

The U8G US model just got a huge FW update, that solves all kinds of stuff. As example they can now choose to enable/disable motion smoothing in the Dolby Vision IQ profile. They also have fixes to backlit handling.

So just wondering if U8GQ will also get some of the fixes...

CraigH89

Standard Member
The 65U8 is £590 in Costco at the moment.
I’m interested in it to replace a 5 year old budget Samsung (MU6120)

I’ve never messed around with the Samsung and It’s been ok for me for general viewing in a brightly lit room.

Is this ok out the box to replace it? For just causal viewing for my wife the majority of the time and my 3 year old daughter on Netflix and Youtube.

I know I’m on a site where everybody wants their tv perfect :)

TravellerSeko

That is crazy discount. I paid 749 pounds to Costco in January. Personally I haven’t used 65 inch tv before so I cannot compare it with Samsung 55 inch tv.

Jon1991

Standard Member
The 65U8 is £590 in Costco at the moment.
I’m interested in it to replace a 5 year old budget Samsung (MU6120)

I’ve never messed around with the Samsung and It’s been ok for me for general viewing in a brightly lit room.

Is this ok out the box to replace it? For just causal viewing for my wife the majority of the time and my 3 year old daughter on Netflix and Youtube.

I know I’m on a site where everybody wants their tv perfect :)
You will find it well suitable for what you have planned for it. That price is a steal I paid the same for the 55 inch 2 months ago

Headbangerdaz

I just bought a Samsung AU9000 from Costco and I think I'll be returning it,it just doesn't get bright enough.
Was thinking of replacing it with a U8GQ.
Anyone using it with VM Tivo ? I'm wondering how good it is at upscaling SD/HD tv channels.
Also how does it handle motion in football ?
What's the screen like for reflections ?
Cheers

Andy2222

Standard Member
I'm wondering how good it is at upscaling SD/HD tv channels.
Also how does it handle motion in football ?
What's the screen like for reflections ?
The U8GQ is rated at max 1000 nits peak brightness with its IPS pannel, while the US version U8G gets the better VA 1500 nits pannel. The Samsung AU9000 is rated at 350 nits, so even the EU version should be noticeable brighter.

The upscaling on the U8GQ via vidaa os/processor is actually good, yet they used a cheaper mid range processor, which means any extra load on the CPU results in stuttering/frame skips. So as example if you want to use the TV's Plex app and play 1080p content you get frequent frame skips. In contrast if you use the better optimized internal media player via USB/DLNA than it runs smoothly.

The motion options are very good, with 5 presets and a custom option, so the "Sport" preset will work fine.

The screen has some "mild" anti glare coating, that reduces/diffuses light a bit, but still has visible reflections so color/contrast is retained. In HDR mode the screen is usually so bright that you wont notice any reflections.

Last edited:

R3mba

People I need honest object review of this tv,.. I searching tv for living room, its pretty dim, so everything will be watched in such conditions or complete dark.. I watch illegal iptv and some netflix. Mostly tv series shows, some movies and some sports..

So sdr reproduction and motion is pretty important to me.. IDGF much about hrd and all similar things..
I wanna go with q70a samsung, but hisense is like 90€ cheaper , same size..

Would you reccomend it?

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Still cannot believe how solid this TV is.
Watching Obi-Wan Kenobi looks close to what watching a marvel film in a cinema is like. 🤯

MegaGio94

I just bought this tv, it's a very valid option. There is something i cannot make it work, playing at 1080p 120Hz with HDR enabled. I tried with an Xbox Series X, but it seems that the Xbox allow only HDR in 4k. So i tried with a PS5, witch online is stated that supports 1080p 120Hz in HDR, but when playing a game the panel goes to 120Hz SDR. Someone have the same issue? It's possible that the tv cannot process the bandwidth required for 1080p 120Hz HDR? I even tried to upgrade the firmware from V0000.01.00G.L0426 to the latest (L1029) provided directly from Hisense customer service, but the problem persist.

Last edited:

Andy2222

Standard Member
It's possible that the tv cannot process the bandwidth required for 1080p 120Hz HDR?
No its just one more feature we lowly EU citizen don't get, so HDR modes are all locked to 60hz max.

You can check the EDID there is no 120hz HDR mode support.

PS: So frustrating, since the now cheaper US model U8G can do 4k HDR 120hz at 1500 nits.

MegaGio94

Sadly I am aware of the differences between the US and the EU version. I bought this tv because it was highly discounted (450€) and for the price the HDR is pretty good with 1000 nit and support for all the HDR standards alongside Dolby Atmos. I was just wondering if it was capable of 1080p 120Hz HDR. Thank you for the response.

D4RK1

Evening all. I had this tv (65") delivered yesterday. Have a 2tb sky q box connected. We seem to be suffering from a sort of judder/motion issue when watching netflix or prime via the sky box. If we're watching channels on sky we don't seem to have an issue. Does anyone have any ideas to some setup changes that could help? Has anyone else encountered anything like this.

The anti glare is brilliant compared to the old panasonic that it's replaced and I'm more than happy with the picture quality. No issues watching the football or the golf. Just films via apps on thr sky box.

Mark

NBH

Evening all. I had this tv (65") delivered yesterday. Have a 2tb sky q box connected. We seem to be suffering from a sort of judder/motion issue when watching netflix or prime via the sky box. If we're watching channels on sky we don't seem to have an issue. Does anyone have any ideas to some setup changes that could help? Has anyone else encountered anything like this.

The anti glare is brilliant compared to the old panasonic that it's replaced and I'm more than happy with the picture quality. No issues watching the football or the golf. Just films via apps on thr sky box.

Mark
There is a setting on the Sky box for reducing judder in apps. I haven't tried it myself as I use Netflix built into the TV rather than Sky.

Laubi02

Distinguished Member
The U8GQ is rated at max 1000 nits peak brightness with its IPS pannel, while the US version U8G gets the better VA 1500 nits pannel. The Samsung AU9000 is rated at 350 nits, so even the EU version should be noticeable brighter.

The upscaling on the U8GQ via vidaa os/processor is actually good, yet they used a cheaper mid range processor, which means any extra load on the CPU results in stuttering/frame skips. So as example if you want to use the TV's Plex app and play 1080p content you get frequent frame skips. In contrast if you use the better optimized internal media player via USB/DLNA than it runs smoothly.

The motion options are very good, with 5 presets and a custom option, so the "Sport" preset will work fine.

The screen has some "mild" anti glare coating, that reduces/diffuses light a bit, but still has visible reflections so color/contrast is retained. In HDR mode the screen is usually so bright that you wont notice any reflections.

I personally am struggling with HDR. Everytime I watch stuff in HDR, it just seems to be quite dull and slightly dark. I get some instances its meant to, to provide the contrast. But the overall coverage is more dull, enough to make stuff hard to watch as detail is lost. It would be good to be able to adjust gamma correction but doesn't seem to be an option in 4k HDR mode.

Worst offenders being eternals and Disney star wars TV series.

Laubi02

Distinguished Member
There is gamma calibration under advanced picture options. Adjust it to 5% = 6, 10% = 5, 15% = 4, 20% = 3
This is always greyed out and not available whenever HDR comes on with 4k content?

Edit: gamma calibrations there but it doesn't do much. It's the gamma correction which has the biggest impact but as u can see below, it's greyed out:

Last edited:

Andy2222

Standard Member
gamma calibrations there but it doesn't do much.
Yes, but gamma adjustment is send/assumed by the source, so should not really be changed.

You can increase the calibration values or go deeper into the upper %.
If you set 0-100% to 10, thats like using gamma adjustment of 2.6.

You usualy just need a slight black boost thats why we only go up-to 20-30%, while boosting higher than 6-8 as value may look more greyish. So just experiment with the values and ranges until you like it.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 27th June 2022