Hisense U8GQ Owners Thread

Jon1991

Standard Member
Small world. (I commented on your Reddit post)

Be worth going through your setting and changing things until your happy with what you see.

Personally watching movies in the complete dark is a huge no no with this tv however I leave a lamp on in the corner of the room and it's worked wonders when looking at the panel.

I would also advise on dropping local dimming from maximum to high. That to make made the black bars darker and overall reduced blooming.

Fiddle with the contrast helps too.

neil74

Standard Member
Indeed, I just replied over there, thanks.

I tested the settings in this thread and I find that with something in the ballpark of brightness circa 50 ish and backlight 100 that local dimming set to LOW gives better results in darker scenes whilst still looking good on brighter ones. Mid,High and Maximum just make the picture too dark in a lot of scenes at least for me.

This is for HDR content and Dolby Vision content too. I have a lamp in the corner funnily enough so not watching in the dark.

Thanks again.

neil74

Standard Member
Is anybody experiencing HDMI signal lost messages? I am getting them quite a lot, not enough to ruin things but enough to be noticeable.

Andy2222

Standard Member

I tested the settings in this thread and I find that with something in the ballpark of brightness circa 50 ish and backlight 100 that local dimming set to LOW gives better results in darker scenes whilst still looking good on brighter ones. Mid,High and Maximum just make the picture too dark in a lot of scenes at least for me.

This is for HDR content and Dolby Vision content too. I have a lamp in the corner funnily enough so not watching in the dark.

Thanks again.
Yeah there seems to-be a weird "bug" with local dimming med/high modes, since it darkens way too much, while low/maximum settings look more similar.

NBH

Thanks again.
With local dimming on low it is less aggressive dimming the backlight, it looks good in bright scenes but falls apart in dark scenes, lots of blooming around objects on a dark background. Medium and high look generally darker but pretty similar to one another, maximum I have no idea what is happening, it doesn't look like local dimming is maximum, it looks like the screen brightness is maximum as this mode is also bad in dark scenes.
Is anybody experiencing HDMI signal lost messages? I am getting them quite a lot, not enough to ruin things but enough to be noticeable.
Yes I have had a few but not so many recently.
Yeah there seems to-be a weird "bug" with local dimming med/high modes, since it darkens way too much, while low/maximum settings look more similar.
I think local dimming on high is the only mode to use as it controls the blooming. On bright scenes it looks the same as low or maximum. For dark scenes I have to bump the gamma curve up between 5% and 25% to make the dark scenes a bit brighter then everything looks good.

Andy2222

Standard Member
On bright scenes it looks the same as low or maximum.
I have no issues with blooming on "low" on dark scenes even in a fully dark room? Guess thats perception than, while ofc "maximum" has crazy blooming, but if i turn on a light its also "watchable". In contrast med/high even on bright scenes, darkens way too much and i loose the HDR depth feeling, since the dynamic range gets crushed. I could ofc tinker with "high" and increase contrast/brightness/gamma but i don't see the point. I'm just curious why "maximum" is brighter than any of the other modes and has the best highlights?
If you hook-up a power meter med/high does not actually change the backlit settings and pulls as much power as any other HDR mode?

liaml

Hello guys, it's been a while since I posted. Just wanted to say that I'm more and more enjoying the TV. As a budget TV it is nearly perfect. I game on my PS5 and it's looking very good.
But I haven't got any replies here from other potential gamers about HDR settings for the PS5 or any next gen gaming device and I would really want your input / settings. Have a great weekend all!

Andy2222

Standard Member
After weeks of tinkering with my HTPC i also just gave-up and grabbed a shield tv pro 2019, running Kodi.. this gives me perfect picture quality in Dolby Vision mode, while the "ai-upscaling" is really good for 1080p stuff.
The stupid Vidaa OS + Plex resulted in choppy playback of 1080p content, while the native TV player was working fine via DLNA, but is unusable as media-center.

I also settled with the "warm2" setting for everything, while i needed to calibrate the white-point (red gain -5, green -2, blue 5). It seems the default white calibration is really off on my TV, so i would need a calibration tool to somewhat fix how bad "Warm1" looks.
Even with the shield TV in 12bit yuv422 mode i also still see this bug, that switching backlit dimming from "off" to any other mode will change the actual colors... so i use "low" for SDR and "Maximum" for HDR now, while trying to have a light on in the room to combat blooming.

Jon1991

Standard Member
Hello guys, it's been a while since I posted. Just wanted to say that I'm more and more enjoying the TV. As a budget TV it is nearly perfect. I game on my PS5 and it's looking very good.
But I haven't got any replies here from other potential gamers about HDR settings for the PS5 or any next gen gaming device and I would really want your input / settings. Have a great weekend all!
It's all down to your own preference. Personally I love over the top highlights and I'm prepared to loose some detail for this. I would look back a few threads however I used dynamic with a tweek to the contrast and saturation.

liaml

It's all down to your own preference. Personally I love over the top highlights and I'm prepared to loose some detail for this. I would look back a few threads however I used dynamic with a tweek to the contrast and saturation.
hi, thanks for answering. I know it comes down to personal preference and I have read through the entire thread. Would just want some other gamers perspective / settings because I’m bad at calibration etc

Jon1991

Standard Member
hi, thanks for answering. I know it comes down to personal preference and I have read through the entire thread. Would just want some other gamers perspective / settings because I’m bad at calibration etc
From my understanding filmmaker is set correctly to the d65 standard. However I feel it looks dim to me. Will post mine later when home however there just what I like. Very vibrant and colourful.

Brunoistrippin

Novice Member
Hey there
Just bought this TV to substitute a Samsung ku6400 (in Europe it was the ku6000), from what I see it's gonna be a step up in nits and colors but maybe not so deeper blacks like the Samsung I did calibrated with the 20 points.
What makes me think that is that a friend has one and in some darker scenes in movies you can see some artifacts in the darker areas that if I put less than 47 in brightness, picture would be too dark and loose detail.

So I leave two questions
Has anyone heard anything about an hbo max app for it?

Do anyone has access to some calibration for this model in terms of 20 points or something?

I did manage to play a bit with calibrating it to the Xbox hdr and picture settings. But I would like to take most advantage of a deep calibration.

We did update his firmware by the tv system and boost some of the motion part that does some opera effect, just to eliminate a little judder we saw without using the judder reductor

Main use will be xbox, blurays and streaming movies.

Andy2222

Standard Member
Has anyone heard anything about an hbo max app for it?
Latest Plex has the option to stream nearly everything check here. The Vidaa Plex app gets updated regularly, so is your best bet on this TV.

Do anyone has access to some calibration for this model in terms of 20 points or something?
The TV/Hisense in general have quite some variance from TV to TV, that's why you see so many different white-point settings. It also seems the IPS pannel we get, varies a lot since users cant even agree on a "good" setting for movies. So your eyes or a calibration tool is your best option.

liaml

From my understanding filmmaker is set correctly to the d65 standard. However I feel it looks dim to me. Will post mine later when home however there just what I like. Very vibrant and colourful.
Oh I'm trying Filmmaker now on PS5 and it's looking great. Yes please post yours later, much appreciated.

liaml

Is the input lag in 4k 60hz 17 ms on this TV as stated in the start of the thread? And does it make a difference whether you game using game mode or ALLM? Or is ALLM just an automatic on switch for game mode? :) I'm a bit confused lol

Last edited:

Jon1991

Standard Member
Is the input lag in 4k 60hz 17 ms on this TV as stated in the start of the thread? And does it make a difference whether you game using game mode or ALLM? Or is ALLM just an automatic on switch for game mode? :) I'm a bit confused lol
ALLM just detects a game signal and shuts off all picture processing to speed up responce. It's like a auto enabling game mode. It's around the 17ms which I personally feel is good enough for gaming on a TV this size.

Brunoistrippin

Novice Member
Latest Plex has the option to stream nearly everything check here. The Vidaa Plex app gets updated regularly, so is your best bet on this TV.

The TV/Hisense in general have quite some variance from TV to TV, that's why you see so many different white-point settings. It also seems the IPS pannel we get, varies a lot since users cant even agree on a "good" setting for movies. So your eyes or a calibration tool is your best option.
Yeah, I played around all settings dolby, hdr and normal signal and try to fine tune the color temperature to all but it's hard to settle in one. I actually used xbox calibration that was ok.
But since yesterday I also started to notice something.

Hey guys, had the tv for a day now and notice something strange..

There's a little high pitch noise on the back of the TV, it gets higher and higher if I turn local dimming above low setting and backlight above 19. I Google it and found out some people with the same issue from other brands as well. Maybe a component that is ringing which is not well isolated.
It also seems that the noise gets more noticeable when the panel gets brighter or I change the settings to higher local dimming and backlight settings. It goes from a little high pitch to something you can actually hear in a dialogue movie. I don't mind having backlight at low with 19 of backlight since I normally have the tv in a dark room, but it bums me out. I actually work in the store that I bought it and I think there isn't any other panels available that aren't on display. It was a bargain for a 65 inch for less than 600€.
Do you guys think I should return it now to repair or go long and try later?

liaml

Hey guys, had the tv for a day now and notice something strange..
Maybe a component that is ringing which is not well isolated.
It also seems that the noise gets more noticeable when the panel gets brighter or I change the settings to higher local dimming and backlight settings. It goes from a little high pitch to something you can actually hear in a dialogue movie. I don't mind having backlight at low with 19 of backlight since I normally have the tv in a dark room, but it bums me out. I actually work in the store that I bought it and I think there isn't any other panels available that aren't on display. It was a bargain for a 65 inch for less than 600€.
Do you guys think I should return it now to repair or go long and try later?
I don't have that problem, and personally it sounds like a faulty TV. I think you should return it as you can't get use it to the fullest potential with that issue. I have 100 backlight and the HDR on this TV is really good. Return it now when you most likely have a return policy plan.

Jon1991

Standard Member
I don't have that problem, and personally it sounds like a faulty TV. I think you should return it as you can't get use it to the fullest potential with that issue. I have 100 backlight and the HDR on this TV is really good. Return it now when you most likely have a return policy plan.
Agree with this. Can comfirm it's not a issue with my 55. Should be able to return it and don't accept a engineer coming to visit. Most shops will try fob you back to hisense.

pg325

I have a concern regarding the picture quality on Netflix. I find that dark scenes go almost black, to a point that you can barely make out what's going on.
Is this because of Netflix is streaming in Dolby Vision, and HDR just cannot cope?

Jon1991

Standard Member
I have a concern regarding the picture quality on Netflix. I find that dark scenes go almost black, to a point that you can barely make out what's going on.
Is this because of Netflix is streaming in Dolby Vision, and HDR just cannot cope?
Nope it will be your local dimming and contrast settings. What your most likely experiencing is what they call crush. Set your local dimming to low.

Andy2222

Standard Member
Nope it will be your local dimming and contrast settings. What your most likely experiencing is what they call crush. Set your local dimming to low.
Also a TV/Backlight setting issue, on my TV Low+Max look similar, while Med+High "crush" the scenes and are unwatchable at night.

NBH

From my playing with settings there are only two ways to go with Netflix. Either put local dimming on high, adaptive contrast on high and increase the gamma up to about 15 on all levels from 5% to 50% or put local dimming on maximum, adaptive contrast to medium or low and tweak the gamma down a bit at the lower percentages to make the blacks a bit darker.

Also, the brightness is very powerful, changing it from 50 to even 52 really makes things brighter if you think things look too dark or down to 47 or 48 to make things darker.

For me personally I use the first option with local dimming on high. I don't think it looks too dark, I've compared the picture to my phone which has as an oled screen with 1500 nits peak brightness and it looks pretty much the same. I thought the whole point of HDR is it's a wider range of light to dark, sometimes it's dark but I assume that's what it's meant to look like? On local dimming high the bright parts of the picture are just as bright as when local dimming is on maximum.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland