Hisense U8GQ Owners Thread

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Hello all and welcome to the U8GQ owners thread!

Where to buy?
Amazon UK (£650) - £150 offf

5BBC2150-FF93-40BE-A861-E878CC2E2FEF.jpeg

4K, HLG, HDR10+, Dolby Vision IQ, IMAX enhanced, Film Maker Mode
1000nits peak, Quantum Dot Color, FALD Pro

Local Dimming: Full Array
Input lag: 17ms
- great for gaming
ALLM, VRR, eArc(HDMI 2) - 4x HDMI 2.0b
4.1CH
60W Speakers, Dolby Atmos

The difference between this EU model to US: This is HMDI 2.0b(but still has ALLM+VRR) and has IPS. Some people have been scared off because of the differences from the US and EU models and shunned this one as such.

However, the price does tell another story. For the current price(£500) - this TV, even with its flaws compared to its US counterpart is a very decent deal! Other TVs around this price can’t reach half the Peak HDR nits, and don’t have awesome features like Vision IQ, and IMAX.

88B26517-4CAE-410F-9F76-EF3B71291557.jpeg

450D5B02-92CF-40ED-AC12-A564DB2C8A43.jpeg

Older/Other Models in this price range:
A7G - £600/710€ -Same price as this
No Vision IQ, not IMAX enhanced. Local Dimming isn’t as good, HDR brightness is lower(sometimes 50%+) Has VRR, ALLM.

U8QF - £610/730€ -£10 more
No Vision IQ, Bad Red Ghosting issues. Img attached due to questions on this TV.
73D39860-4FCE-48DE-A2DE-A91963ABAD15.jpeg

H9G - £630/750€ -£30 more
Contrast slightly better, no Vision IQ, not IMAX enhanced. HDR slightly worse, Color Gamut worse. No VRR, ALLM.

So as you can see, this really is by far one of the greatest bargains of the last few years, so, yea this has a few less features than the US version but it wipes the floor of other TVs in this price range still.

Calibration Settings

Last edited:

viper76

Standard Member
Looking forward for the Calibration settings I have searched everywhere and I can not find any Calibration settings for this tv .

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Looking forward for the Calibration settings I have searched everywhere and I can not find any Calibration settings for this tv .
I see there are no calibration settings online which is a shame, but luckily I’m very good at calibrating so once my TV arrives(most likely early next week) - I’ll crack on with it. I’m most interested in HDR calibration personally as I see pre-calibration is like around 90-95% perfect out the box which is a gigantic surprise for Hisense TVs, others are normally around 60-70% fine out the box from past iterations. My current TV(U7A) needing a lot of work and boy was it not really worth it. It feels like the two TVs are a few generations apart.

johnbower

What size is this for the price? Are the prices for the 55?

This is the model HDTVtest review describes as a downgrade on the U8QF.

That much so its actually in the title of the review.

Was thinking of this until saw the review and it was very revealing.

Your thoughts make me wonder as it sounds excellent but I really respect HDTVtest he really knows his TV’s.

Last edited:

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
What size is this for the price? Are the prices for the 55?

This is the model HDTVtest review describes as a downgrade on the U8QF.

That much so its actually in the title of the review.

Was thinking of this until saw the review and it was very revealing.
The prices on all the models listed in this thread are for the 55” models. This is a downgrade from the U8QF in terms of contrasts, however, after plenty of research, this has got better feature sets(Vision IQ, IMAX enhanced, VRR, ALLM) and is £110 cheaper. I also saw that review and it’s just blown out of proportion.

It also depends what you plan to do with your set. Watch only movies in a dark room? Yeah go for the U8QF if you have the extra money and don’t mind spending a bit over.

Plan to play games or watch Disney+? The U8GQ(gimped compared to US one) wins hands down because of feature sets alone.

johnbower

Be interesting to see how it performs as the review was pretty thorough. Said it was different to the last years model and a downgrade.

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Be interesting to see how it performs as the review was pretty thorough. Said it was different to the last years model and a downgrade.
It’s a downgrade in a few aspects, but in some an upgrade, but it all depends on your use scenario tbh. I’ll be using mine mostly for gaming and unfortunately the U8QF isn’t capable of doing next gen features. It’s great if you have an older console or only watch movies though.

I purchased a Hisense 65A7GQTUK last week by mistake due to some spec sites saying it was FALD.

I didn't open it and it's awaiting collection.

I've since bought the Hisense 55U8G, hopefully it's a good TV and I look forward to seeing some settings and an opinion from you when you get it.

I didn't realise the UK model wasn't hdmi 2.1 but I don't game alot so shouldn't make much of a difference for me.

I'm really hoping I haven't made a mistake not getting the LG C1 😂

Ruffuz

The prices on all the models listed in this thread are for the 55” models. This is a downgrade from the U8QF in terms of contrasts, however, after plenty of research, this has got better feature sets(Vision IQ, IMAX enhanced, VRR, ALLM) and is £110 cheaper. I also saw that review and it’s just blown out of proportion.

It also depends what you plan to do with your set. Watch only movies in a dark room? Yeah go for the U8QF if you have the extra money and don’t mind spending a bit over.

Plan to play games or watch Disney+? The U8GQ(gimped compared to US one) wins hands down because of feature sets alone.
Disney+ is also on u8qf after firmware update.

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Disney+ is also on u8qf after firmware update.
I think you missed the IMAX Enhanced aspect of Disney Plus which U8QF cannot do, only U8GQ+ can.

I purchased a Hisense 65A7GQTUK last week by mistake due to some spec sites saying it was FALD.

I didn't open it and it's awaiting collection.

I've since bought the Hisense 55U8G, hopefully it's a good TV and I look forward to seeing some settings and an opinion from you when you get it.

I didn't realise the UK model wasn't hdmi 2.1 but I don't game alot so shouldn't make much of a difference for me.

I'm really hoping I haven't made a mistake not getting the LG C1 😂
Yep, no HDMI 2.1 which is a bummer but can still do VRR and ALLM which is awesome tbh. Honestly the C1 is a beast but the price/performance is a bit much for me personally lol

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
The u8qf does support imax on disny

Attachments

• received_595042995125495.jpeg
    received_595042995125495.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 110

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
No they don't as don't other devices like sky q or android boxes. As some don't support dv.
I was under the impression you can watch IMAX on any TV but some are IMAX enhanced 🤷

Are you on about the apps on the TV rather than what can be watched.

I won't be using any of the apps on mine as I use an Apple TV box to stream everything.

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
The u8qf does support imax on disny
No. It supports IMAX resolution change, but not the full IMAX Enhanced feature set. Even my really old set top box says IMAX Enhanced, but it’s just a resolution change, and not full IMAX Enhanced.

There are only 4 Hisense TVS(Officially) with FULL support for FULL IMAX Enhanced:

U8G(Q) - £500 (This TV in thread)
A8G - £850
A9G - £999
U9G - £2500 (only in 75”)

So uhh, yeah. This just makes the U8GQ seem like even better value for money than originally thought in comparison. I have contacted Hisense and asked them to get back to me about the U8qf in regards to IMAX features for clarity and will update with the answer later. 👍

Last edited:

NBH

Hi all. I'm considering buying this tv from Costco for £500. My viewing is Sky Q and also Netflix via sky which is 4k HDR.

I currently have a Philips 50 inch 8204 which I think goes to around 500 nits. The software has an annoying bug which means it flickers on white/light colours unless the backlight is on maximum and HDR upscaling is on which means the TV is generally too bright.

I had a hisense TV before, is there a way to turn off the sleep timer? My old TV was stuck on 4hrs.

It's the HDR impressive? When I watch HDR on my phone it looks amazing but it's quite dull on the Philips.

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Hi all. I'm considering buying this tv from Costco for £500. My viewing is Sky Q and also Netflix via sky which is 4k HDR.

I currently have a Philips 50 inch 8204 which I think goes to around 500 nits. The software has an annoying bug which means it flickers on white/light colours unless the backlight is on maximum and HDR upscaling is on which means the TV is generally too bright.

I had a hisense TV before, is there a way to turn off the sleep timer? My old TV was stuck on 4hrs.

It's the HDR impressive? When I watch HDR on my phone it looks amazing but it's quite dull on the Philips.
Yep, the £500 on Costco is what makes this an amazing TV for the budget, it should be more around £650-£700 realistically. Yeah 500nits is a bit last gen tbh, and 1000 is like the standard for mastered content. You can disable sleep timer no issues. The HDR is very impressive, it’s actually rated higher on this TV than most TVS under the £800 mark.

SkyQ can only do HDR10 so you won’t get max performance from the TV, however, it does have native Netflix, Disney+, etc apps which can do Dolby Vision. Let’s just say SkyQ is last gen in terms of HDR and needs an update tbh. I’d say go for it before they up the price back to around £650+ personally.

NBH

Yep, the £500 on Costco is what makes this an amazing TV for the budget, it should be more around £650-£700 realistically. Yeah 500nits is a bit last gen tbh, and 1000 is like the standard for mastered content. You can disable sleep timer no issues. The HDR is very impressive, it’s actually rated higher on this TV than most TVS under the £800 mark.

SkyQ can only do HDR10 so you won’t get max performance from the TV, however, it does have native Netflix, Disney+, etc apps which can do Dolby Vision. Let’s just say SkyQ is last gen in terms of HDR and needs an update tbh. I’d say go for it before they up the price back to around £650+ personally.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah sky HDR is a bit bland to be honest, I was hoping this tv would brighten it up. I'm happy to use built in apps but my wife watches everything via sky so I wanted it look good. I thought that HDR 10 should look good on this tv as it can hit 1000 nits and that Dolby vision is good for TVs that can't hit the high brightness?

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. Yeah sky HDR is a bit bland to be honest, I was hoping this tv would brighten it up. I'm happy to use built in apps but my wife watches everything via sky so I wanted it look good. I thought that HDR 10 should look good on this tv as it can hit 1000 nits and that Dolby vision is good for TVs that can't hit the high brightness?
If you’re happy to use the SkyQ apps that’s perfectly fine - yeah the HDR will look amazing and 1000nits is pretty much peak brightness, especially for HDR10, most filmmakers master films at 1000nits. I just prefer Dolby Vision personally - especially for gaming but yeah - you’ll get the brightness no problem still on SkyQ. Just if you really want to sink into an epic film the TV inbuilt app might be a bit better. Some people even prefer HDR10 to Vision. Guess it’s all down to preferences.

NBH

If you’re happy to use the SkyQ apps that’s perfectly fine - yeah the HDR will look amazing and 1000nits is pretty much peak brightness, especially for HDR10, most filmmakers master films at 1000nits. I just prefer Dolby Vision personally - especially for gaming but yeah - you’ll get the brightness no problem still on SkyQ. Just if you really want to sink into an epic film the TV inbuilt app might be a bit better. Some people even prefer HDR10 to Vision. Guess it’s all down to preferences.
Just literally gone out of stock! Maybe it wasn't too be.

viper76

Standard Member
I only had this tv for few days now and it's a big upgrade from a 7 years old Panasonic tv which is still going strong . So far I'm still playing around and tweaking the picture settings to get the best out of it I don't have any knowledge or experience on this field and just waiting for others who know how to calibrate settings and share it with us. Not 100% happy with it I only use the built-in apps like Netflix Bbc iplayer youtube and Amazon video prime I also use a 4k fire stick to watch iptv which looks awful because the tv detect it as dolby vision so the picture looks washed out and unnatural but I can always send it back to Costco and get a full refund

Last edited:

NBH

Anyone got any more thoughts on the TV? I keep checking stock but haven't been able to order yet. It's £607 on Amazon but no 5 year guarantee.

Punkmilitia

Standard Member
Anyone got any more thoughts on the TV? I keep checking stock but haven't been able to order yet. It's £607 on Amazon but no 5 year guarantee.
If you have £999, I’d recommend the LG C1. U8G is the best value TV for under £800 judging from days of research. But if you have the extra cash the C1 is the only other TV I would choose.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon