Hisense U7QF 4K TV Review & Comments

I am in the market for something around this level, and it’s debatable whether I just go for a Philips Ambilight set around £450 or jump up to something with FALD to get better HDR.

50 inch version on Amazon/AO/Currys for £599 right now, £699 for the 55.

Thanks for this review. Hope you’re all well. Always interesting to see AVF take on midrange, popular TVs.

Good to see Hisense go from strength to strength. Always had respect for their products. Remind me very much of Toshiba when they were still Toshiba.

I think calling it the ‘Hi-X Picture Engine‘ would’ve sounded better. I believe they’ve been using their own chip (once called HiViewPro or something) for a few years now as their upscaling never looked like it was just off the shelf.

Wonder why they’re keeping the Roku TVs (which have been a hit at Argos) to the lower models. Anyone know?

Btw...
Are you time travelling (review dated January)?

My lord, that remote control, it's like the bottom end of it is just adverts for streaming sites, pretty soon controls will look like time square.

I am in the market for something around this level, and it’s debatable whether I just go for a Philips Ambilight set around £450 or jump up to something with FALD to get better HDR.

Philips are very good but is their software finally fixed?
If you can live without Ambilight (some people can‘t!), Hisense will be the likeable workhorse.

Philips are very good but is their software finally fixed?
If you can live without Ambilight (some people can‘t!), Hisense will be the likeable workhorse.

Philips Saphi is like HiSense Vidaa, basic and no Disney+. Android TVs are much better and running 9.0 Pie out the box, with upgrades to come I think.

To be honest, any TV I buy will just end up as a monitor for my Roku/PS4.

Philips Saphi is like HiSense Vidaa, basic and no Disney+. Android TVs are much better and running 9.0 Pie out the box, with upgrades to come I think.

To be honest, any TV I buy will just end up as a monitor for my Roku/PS4.
I’ve yet to see a Philips running their own smart software that runs properly (since at least 2011).

Hisense’s in-house platform is much slicker and more stable. I think this or some other models are coming to the U.K. with an Android version too.

Philips’ software usually causes crazy behaviour (in user and TV!).

Last edited:
Just received my U8QF a few hours ago. I did offer it to AV for review, and of course calibration:), as they are a bit thin on the ground. Also Hisense are doing a cahback which is worth £200 on the review model. Another strange bit of info I got a pricematch with RS for a Costco price. Looking on the Costco site now there are no Hisense tvs listed. Strange?

Just received my U8QF a few hours ago. I did offer it to AV for review, and of course calibration:), as they are a bit thin on the ground. Also Hisense are doing a cahback which is worth £200 on the review model. Another strange bit of info I got a pricematch with RS for a Costco price. Looking on the Costco site now there are no Hisense tvs listed. Strange?
Congratulations bogart99 !
the cashback ended yesterday 21/07/2020 ! ;)

It'll be really interesting to see the Hisense picture quality and HDR peak brightness levels compare against Panasonic's HX940B (high-end LCD range) which are considerably more expensive.

Regards,
James.

Thanks for the review - one question if I may - it says this is an 8-bit Panel. Well, my Samsung 2015 JU6400 model is an 8-Bit panel and it can't do 'proper' HDR - although through a software update it can 'display' HDR content in a maner. So I guess I'm asking does the fact it's not a 10-Bit panel limit the colour rendition? Thanks.

Congratulations bogart99 !
the cashback ended yesterday 21/07/2020 ! ;)
Ah well pointless me mentioning it then. Seems a somewhat strange cashback to me as quite a few of the tvs available with cashback are /were in very short supply, though if you look at the RS price that now just gives the cashback anyway.

Thanks for the review - one question if I may - it says this is an 8-bit Panel. Well, my Samsung 2015 JU6400 model is an 8-Bit panel and it can't do 'proper' HDR - although through a software update it can 'display' HDR content in a maner. So I guess I'm asking does the fact it's not a 10-Bit panel limit the colour rendition? Thanks.

It uses FRC to spoof a native 8-bit panel up to 10 bit. It’s not going to be comparable to a Samsung Q90 or an OLED when it comes to HDR and colour gamut.

Ultimately this would seem to be the perfect domain for Dolby Vision, using dynamic tone mapping to squeeze HDR on to a panel with 600ish nits. The FALD isn’t perfect but seems to offer a bit more than the Edge-LED Panasonic & LG sets around this price point.

Made in China....enough....

Just like every other TV ya dope
Really prove it......besides l wouldn't be in the market for such a tv as this...below me as l am dope with a much larger budget for a far better tv

Really prove it......besides l wouldn't be in the market for such a tv as this...below me as l am dope with a much larger budget for a far better tv
Perhaps you should use some of that vast wealth of yours and buy a decent car.

If you just want a mid-range 4K TV then fine. But if you are going to go HDR then any less than 700 nits and you will struggle to see any difference between HDR and non HDR content. This does however have Dolby Vision and I don't know how well it can mitigate a sub 600 nit screen.

If you just want a mid-range 4K TV then fine. But if you are going to go HDR then any less than 700 nits and you will struggle to see any difference between HDR and non HDR content. So you are paying extra for the letters H,D,R but not getting much of it.

Agreed, but can’t justify OLED/full-fat QLED cost at present. Stepping up from a 10yo plasma, so anything will be an improvement.

Also looking at TCL 50C715K QLED, seems to be well-specced but not much hands-on info available.

Agreed, but can’t justify OLED/full-fat QLED cost at present. Stepping up from a 10yo plasma, so anything will be an improvement.

Also looking at TCL 50C715K QLED, seems to be well-specced but not much hands-on info available.
I modified my post since you replied. Since it has Dolby Vision, that might help HDR sources look closer to 700 nits. Especially when the review says:
Dolby Vision works very well with the Hisense and using dynamic metadata does improve the HDR performance to give you back more details in the specular highlight areas of the HDR image where they can get blown out with HDR10, HLG and HDR10+ content. As most streaming services now provide DV content as well as a growing catalogue of UHD Blu-rays, you should be able to get the best out of the U7QF.

It uses FRC to spoof a native 8-bit panel up to 10 bit. It’s not going to be comparable to a Samsung Q90 or an OLED when it comes to HDR and colour gamut.

Ultimately this would seem to be the perfect domain for Dolby Vision, using dynamic tone mapping to squeeze HDR on to a panel with 600ish nits. The FALD isn’t perfect but seems to offer a bit more than the Edge-LED Panasonic & LG sets around this price point.

The entire 4K 2020 Samsung range are using the same tech - 8-bit+FRC. Though of course some of them will have a lot more nits to play with but that is where the U8QF should give them something to think about.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom