Hisense U7B (H55U7BUK) 4K TV Review & Comments

It's not really that hard to understand.

It is hard to understand. The prices change all the time, the product stays the same.

It's just common sense. A £599 8/10 is not the same as a £3500 8/10 product.

It should be. You have 'value' category, that should take the quality and price into account. The rest should be objective.

Reading the review and watching the videos will actually tell you far more about a product than a score ever will.

Then drop the scores completely, as they are misleading.

Phil, Then clearly you've misunderstood. What grogi and I are saying is that a product should be judged amongst it's peers in the same "market segment" but an average performer in that "market segment" should get a 5 rating.

So an 8/10 rating for this TV and the same for a £3500 TV obviously doesn't mean they both perform the same but it implies they are both above average at their respective price points. And as everything gets a rating of 7 or more ... hence my tongue in cheek comment about everything being above average.

Is there a list of recommended settings for this one?

First post alert, been lurking for years....

I had an ageing 46" Samsung D7000 which needed a Fire Stick as it's own apps had ceased being updated and we wanted a stop gap 4K TV for a couple of years until some of the standards settle down and the new grandchild stopps tottering.

I originally was aiming for the LG 55" 7660PLA, side by side I couldn't see the difference on identical inputs, now you may well do so in the dark at home but in a well lit shop the only really obvious difference was the LG had a superior viewing angle. So I went home and bought the 50" U7B from AO.com via their eBay shop when they were running the £60 off PLENTIFUL code last weekend for £389 which has turned out to be a bit of a bargain.

Although I'm nowhere near as AV educated as some of the commentators here and my eyes are shot without glasses I have wasted a few hours with my test files and disks to get a picture I like. As I struggled to find any settings other than the review attached to this article I thought that I would share my settings and a couple of observations.

Settings changed from factory:
Mode: Cinema Night
Backlight: 48
Contrast: 48
Adaptive Contrast: OFF
All Noise Reduction Settings: OFF
Ultra Smooth Motion: OFF
Colour Temp: Warm
Gamma: 2.4

Firstly the bad:
- Freezing apps (fixed by software up date see below) particularly iPlayer
- Two remotes with only some keys on one or the other (like info and play etc.)
- Volume of Freeview HD channels is LOUD! I have a Dolby amp so this is fixed by leaving the audio out in PCM but then bang goes the extra channels. This setting really needs to be selectable by source.
- Ultra Smooth Motion adds some horrible artefacts to Netflix in particular (fixed by switching that setting it off)

The good:
- Picture is good for the price paid, hell its great to be honest
- Ultra Smooth Motion works really well in *most* cases but I prefer it off, there is no judder when I have it on in in sports mode.
- Apps run up quickly enough
- Shortcuts for the apps on the remote are useful
- One of the remotes is Bluetooth and has voice control (enabled by software update)
- Hisense support 5*
- My wife really likes it, that's a first as she usually hates tech

For the money I paid this is a great TV, when the apps started freezing I called Hisense and within two days they had sent me a USB with a new software build. It added voice control fixed the app freezing and addressed a couple of minor irritations. The service team were helpful and knowledgeable they deserve a pat on the back, ditto AO.com who did a sterling job of delivery.

I hope this helps someone until a better qualified set of settings shows up, oh and just for laughs there are Sharp and Toshiba logos selectable in the hidden factory menu.

Which one should I buy the Samsung 55RU7100 or the Hisense H50U7BUK?
Is the Dolby vison better reason to buy he hisense tv over the samsung HDR10+?

It doesn't make any difference... Both TV have very little punch added in any of the HDR modes.

Your decision should be based on different factors, not the DV vs HDR10+ debate. Hell, I would even say that the side where the connectors are would be more important than the above...

An interesting review, but with bits missing. Evaluating PQ is fine, but what about the overall functionality? Do the HDMI ports pass 5.1 audio to the ARC HDMI port, can you get multichannel audio from the apps., etc.? My decision to buy a new TV is as much about the connectivity and functions as much as PQ. AVF reviews here always helpful, but don’t give the full picture (no pun intended). In the end, I went for the 50-in Panasonic 800, but at my price point either TV would have worked, I think.

Clem

Last edited:
What are the differences between the 50" U7B and the B7500?

I've enquired about this TV (50" version) at my local Richer Sounds. They keep trying to push me down the route of the Philips 50PUS6272 saying it has a better picture. Can anyone corroborate this, or are they on a better commission for the Philips model?

Last edited:
Great review. Budget tvs have come a long way. Appreciate the info.

I've enquired about this TV (50" version) at my local Richer Sounds. They keep trying to push me down the route of the Philips 50PUS6272 saying it has a better picture. Can anyone corroborate this, or are they on a better commission for the Philips model?
I’m thinking of 50 Hisense from Richer Sounds too, with an eye on at Black Friday to sway my decision maybe against the Samsung 7400

did you end up with anything?

I’m thinking of 50 Hisense from Richer Sounds too, with an eye on at Black Friday to sway my decision maybe against the Samsung 7400

did you end up with anything?
Nothing yet, holding out for black Friday.

Anyone have recommended calibration settings for this tv?

How does the 250nits of u7b compare to the 400nits of the u8b?
i can buy (only) today the u7b for 580 or i can wait for a price drop of the u8b till 680, im wondering if its worth to wait 2/3months and the 100€, being the main differences the nits and 60hz to 120hz, mainly for movies and tv series.

I picked up 50 u7b £400 from richer sounds but seen it at Costco £360 bristol just now

any tips and tricks?
can you put a screen saver on?
Device mirror does it work with iphone?

Does anyone who has actually purchased this like to give some further thoughts on it after owning for a while?

I'm looking at buying it.

Have ordered H50U7BUK and will be receiving it on Tuesday. I currently own the M3000 40" and have very little issue with it after software updates and manipulating the picture settings the only real downside is the viewing angle and slow response to remote clicks. Everything else is fine to my untrained eyes and does the job I bought it to do.
The opinions posted here on the H50U7BUK are each to their own views and are nothing more than that. Unless we all have our tvs set up in the same ambient lighting format and we all use the same picture settings how can one person decry another person's findings. Each to their own.
Now about those picture settings, anyone have a definitive setup we all can try? Funny how nobody actually answered that question.

Keeping an eye on this as I've got the 55" being delivered Monday, so I'll be looking for the settings myself.

I have ordered the same modell you got. Not received the stuff yet but looking forward to see what settings and profiles are recommended by others.
I will go first with those settings that DrPinball shared @ comment #28
Settings changed from factory:
Mode: Cinema Night
Backlight: 48
Contrast: 48
Adaptive Contrast: OFF
All Noise Reduction Settings: OFF
Ultra Smooth Motion: OFF
Colour Temp: Warm
Gamma: 2.4

If you get yours up and running would you kindly post any relevant settings and I will do the same as I find them.
Cheers
Received tv this afternoon.
Settings straight out of the box more than acceptable. Will take my time and see what can be tweaked to eek out a bit more picture quality.
Only problem I've found is the reminder setting on the TV guide isn't working. Anybody got same or advice?

Tbf to the mods your did spend yesterday spamming all the active hisense threads with the same thing.

I get you've had a faulty set and are annoyed with their lack of support, but I can totally understand why the mods removed them - they've kept your specific complaint and evidence in the relevant thread.

It's only a TV at the end of the day. Frustration provokes funny reactions in people. A time for reflection and perspective?

I have ordered the same modell you got. Not received the stuff yet but looking forward to see what settings and profiles are recommended by others.
I will go first with those settings that DrPinball shared @ comment #28
Above settings improved picture quality a little from presets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom