Hisense U7B (H55U7BUK) 4K TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Yes, it was good and the pulldown was correct. (Obviously I'm talking about any introduced issues with judder).

ozzzy189

Thanks for the review!
Bought one 2 weeks ago.

Is there a list of recommended settings for this one?
Cinema day and night and warm 2 the reviewer said.
Might be a decent gaming tv, did I miss the lag figures?

grogi

Eight?! Seriously? Is this set really only 20% from perfection?

It supports DV, so what? With that panel it makes virtually no difference.

But the DSE and other uniformity will annoy every single time. OS will stop supporting any services in two years, during which one still can decide why the hell he got two remotes...

This is a TV. A big one. And cheap one. But those are the only positives of it. No way it deserves 8/10...

Last edited:

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Eight?! Seriously? Is this set really only 20% from perfection?

It supports DV, so what? With that panel it makes virtually no difference.

But the DSE and other uniformity will annoy every single time. OS will stop supporting any services in two years, during which one still can decide why the hell he got two remotes...

This is a TV. A big one. And cheap one. But those are the only positives of it. No way it deserves 8/10...
Thanks for your input. We score within a given market sector, so an 8/10 is based against its peers and not perfection as you put it. Do you have evidence of your other points? Has Hisense dropped support of its own VIDAA U system in the last two years?
Also, Dolby Vision at this price point is exactly one of the major plus points of the system and why the technology exists.

ozzzy189

Absolutely Phil. A 500 quid amp might get a 10, and a 3 grand one might get a 9. Is the 500 quid one better? Of course it isn't but according to groggi it would be. It's a question of context.

MikeTVMikeTV

They're cheap for a reason, cheap parts and panels and Hisense has pretty bad customer service, phone them with any issue and it's the first time they've had of it.

Was the 1st person on here to have the K700, worked fine for a few months and broke, replacement broke, the next replacement broke, tried the 720 that broke, tried various N6800 but every single one had really bad panel problems like DSE and light bleed.

I doubt Hisense gets any repeat business, I would never ever get another one.

8/10 with all those panel issues is pretty amazing really.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
At this section of the market, it was compared side by side with a Panasonic GX800 and Sharp UI7652, it performed well enough to earn its score. A lot of the issues with all three screens are down to the LCD technology issues, so you have to assess and measure against those. If you read the review I believe I make it very clear and manage expectations, it is being marked against its peers at the price point, not against anything else. If it was being compared and scored against an LG C9 then the Hisense would get a 4/10, probably. But we don't mark it that way and I think most readers understand it is marked against its peers at its market position.

Happy for constructive feedback.

Last edited:

johntee50

Standard Member
I've got an M3300 50 inch. After the experience with Hisense support updates making the set worse and having to revert to an old firmware to cure the sound drop problem, I said I would never get another one. However, Richer Sounds are selling the 50 inch for £449 with a 6 year warranty. From what I've read of your review I'm very tempted. Would YOU buy one ?

Loopthrough

They're cheap for a reason, cheap parts and panels and Hisense has pretty bad customer service, phone them with any issue and it's the first time they've had of it.

Was the 1st person on here to have the K700, worked fine for a few months and broke, replacement broke, the next replacement broke, tried the 720 that broke, tried various N6800 but every single one had really bad panel problems like DSE and light bleed.

I doubt Hisense gets any repeat business, I would never ever get another one.

Hmm...
Hisense is extremely popular for TVs and white goods in the UK -- growing in a way that the more established companies can only dream of (they're retreating anyways).

Hisense doesn't use cheap parts (where do you think they use cheap parts?). In fact, they use many parts that put them on a par with Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG.

They usually have class leading sound and physical build quality (especially at the budget end, which had been virtually unheard of until they entered the UK).

Yes, they seem to have uniformity issues (especially on edge lit models), but so did Sony and Samsung for many, many years. I guess they have a wider tolerance to which panels they'll accept from their suppliers, or sell a lot, so you see more bad ones.

They offer incredible bang for buck and sometimes really surprise (eg last year's budget model which had an almost factory calibrated accurate picture).

As for @grogi posting about smart platform losing apps - not sure, is there any proof? The VIDAA system appears to be customised Android. I know of no reports from models going back as far as five years losing apps.

The upcoming UK Hisense Roku TVs will be the best option for people worrying about apps being removed.

I think 8/10 is fair. Have you seen the competition at this price? What can match it? Samsung (but then the build quality/design is poorer, etc). Philips (nice picture/sound, but no - software issues). Panasonic (they only rebrand Vestel at the lower end now. When the GX800 is on offer, it might be able to match Hisense's price, but then the Hisense will be even cheaper). Toshiba is Vestel, who've come a long way, but have uniformity issues and poor HDR/very low contrast panels. Sony (XG7 series) is decidedly average at this level and far too expensive with a woeful smart platform.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Please tell me, why wouldn't you buy one?
Because I'm not looking for a TV at this price point. I actually haven't owned a TV in about two years now.
Everything I have to say about this TV is in the review and I am completely honest with my assessments and take into account price points, performance regards the technology used and who I think the target market is. Also, use reviews as a guide and try and see the TV you are interested in first hand before spending any money on one.

Loopthrough

Because I'm not looking for a TV at this price point. I actually haven't owned a TV in about two years now.
Everything I have to say about this TV is in the review and I am completely honest with my assessments and take into account price points, performance regards the technology used and who I think the target market is. Also, use reviews as a guide and try and see the TV you are interested in first hand before spending any money on one.
Off topic, Phil, but I have some suggestions about AVF's review formatting.
There should be a small breakdown table with the measurements (eg black level etc) perhaps also linked (as a chart) to other recently reviewed models. It could also be added to the YouTube videos, which I guess are where most people would see the reviews.
I think.

grogi

At this section of the market, it was compared side by side with a Panasonic GX800 and Sharp UI7652, it performed well enough to earn its score. A lot of the issues with all three screens are down to the LCD technology issues, so you have to assess and measure against those. If you read the review I believe I make it very clear and manage expectations, it is being marked against its peers at the price point, not against anything else. If it was being compared and scored against an LG C9 then the Hisense would get a 4/10, probably. But we don't mark it that way and I think most readers understand it is marked against its peers at its market position.

Happy for constructive feedback.
So if the tested model performed exactly as an average in the market segment, it should get the middle mark - 5/10... There are 10 points in the scale, but only 7, 8 and 9 are really used.

I also don't see anything wrong with absolute marks and ratings either... As a buyer i don't need to be told that particular product is cheap - I can see it on the price tag. What I need to know is what I am paying for with a more expensive model. Does the 200 GBP extra to go with better Samsung make sense? I cannot do that if all marks are relative to market segment.

grogi

One more thing... There is a "value for money" category. That seems to be the "how good within its price category it is". If we have 'value for money' rating, the rest of the ratings should be purely objective.

The review could end up with two overall ratings then: objectively how good the set is, and how good for the money it is...

In this case: no-price-objections rating: 4/10, i-want-a-deal: 8/10.

The Nightfly

Novice Member
So if the tested model performed exactly as an average in the market segment, it should get the middle mark - 5/10... There are 10 points in the scale, but only 7, 8 and 9 are really used.
Agreed. I've said exactly the same thing about the HiFi reviews here. Apparently, everything is above average!

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Agreed. I've said exactly the same thing about the HiFi reviews here. Apparently, everything is above average!
It's not really that hard to understand. It's just common sense. A £599 8/10 is not the same as a £3500 8/10 product. Reading the review and watching the videos will actually tell you far more about a product than a score ever will.

grogi

It's not really that hard to understand.
It is hard to understand. The prices change all the time, the product stays the same.

It's just common sense. A £599 8/10 is not the same as a £3500 8/10 product.
It should be. You have 'value' category, that should take the quality and price into account. The rest should be objective.

Reading the review and watching the videos will actually tell you far more about a product than a score ever will.
Then drop the scores completely, as they are misleading.

The Nightfly

Novice Member
Phil, Then clearly you've misunderstood. What grogi and I are saying is that a product should be judged amongst it's peers in the same "market segment" but an average performer in that "market segment" should get a 5 rating.

So an 8/10 rating for this TV and the same for a £3500 TV obviously doesn't mean they both perform the same but it implies they are both above average at their respective price points. And as everything gets a rating of 7 or more ... hence my tongue in cheek comment about everything being above average.

DrPinball

Novice Member
Is there a list of recommended settings for this one?
First post alert, been lurking for years....

I had an ageing 46" Samsung D7000 which needed a Fire Stick as it's own apps had ceased being updated and we wanted a stop gap 4K TV for a couple of years until some of the standards settle down and the new grandchild stopps tottering.

I originally was aiming for the LG 55" 7660PLA, side by side I couldn't see the difference on identical inputs, now you may well do so in the dark at home but in a well lit shop the only really obvious difference was the LG had a superior viewing angle. So I went home and bought the 50" U7B from AO.com via their eBay shop when they were running the £60 off PLENTIFUL code last weekend for £389 which has turned out to be a bit of a bargain.

Although I'm nowhere near as AV educated as some of the commentators here and my eyes are shot without glasses I have wasted a few hours with my test files and disks to get a picture I like. As I struggled to find any settings other than the review attached to this article I thought that I would share my settings and a couple of observations.

Settings changed from factory:
Mode: Cinema Night
Backlight: 48
Contrast: 48
Adaptive Contrast: OFF
All Noise Reduction Settings: OFF
Ultra Smooth Motion: OFF
Colour Temp: Warm
Gamma: 2.4

Firstly the bad:
- Freezing apps (fixed by software up date see below) particularly iPlayer
- Two remotes with only some keys on one or the other (like info and play etc.)
- Volume of Freeview HD channels is LOUD! I have a Dolby amp so this is fixed by leaving the audio out in PCM but then bang goes the extra channels. This setting really needs to be selectable by source.
- Ultra Smooth Motion adds some horrible artefacts to Netflix in particular (fixed by switching that setting it off)

The good:
- Picture is good for the price paid, hell its great to be honest
- Ultra Smooth Motion works really well in *most* cases but I prefer it off, there is no judder when I have it on in in sports mode.
- Apps run up quickly enough
- Shortcuts for the apps on the remote are useful
- One of the remotes is Bluetooth and has voice control (enabled by software update)
- Hisense support 5*
- My wife really likes it, that's a first as she usually hates tech

For the money I paid this is a great TV, when the apps started freezing I called Hisense and within two days they had sent me a USB with a new software build. It added voice control fixed the app freezing and addressed a couple of minor irritations. The service team were helpful and knowledgeable they deserve a pat on the back, ditto AO.com who did a sterling job of delivery.

I hope this helps someone until a better qualified set of settings shows up, oh and just for laughs there are Sharp and Toshiba logos selectable in the hidden factory menu.

Weejew

Novice Member
Which one should I buy the Samsung 55RU7100 or the Hisense H50U7BUK?
Is the Dolby vison better reason to buy he hisense tv over the samsung HDR10+?

grogi

It doesn't make any difference... Both TV have very little punch added in any of the HDR modes.

Your decision should be based on different factors, not the DV vs HDR10+ debate. Hell, I would even say that the side where the connectors are would be more important than the above...