Answered Hisense - too good to be true?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Ossie77, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The Hisense 50" EC591U has caught my eye for £429. I know I don't need 4K but for the price I think it's worth considering.

Whats the deal with Hisense? Genuine contender to the BIG 4 or not quite there yet? I read the AVF review of the K321 and it wasn't exactly glowing. Gamma in particular was cited as being wildly askew. However, the general feedback from owners seems to be mostly positive. Would anyone care to elaborate? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Does anyone know if the EC5 has a native 100Hz refresh?

What is the general AVF consensus about Hisense?

TIA.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #23 by DaveGP, Apr 23, 2016 (1 points)
  3. stephen0205

stephen0205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    if u can up the limit on your argos card and get a slightly better tv.

From what i read (im about to buy one thinking of the lg 4k 49 inch at £499 currys)

i read and some members have said hisense upscales horrid, and the hdmi on some models are not hdmi 2.0, so cant actually receive a full 4k image.

Theres alooooot of reviews on amazon for these ones

4. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I tried boosting my credit but failed! Denied!

1080p is 2million pixels and judging from what I watched last night I just can't imagine 4K being necessary unless the TV was HUGE and I was sitting 3ft from it. I certainly don't want to fork out more for a better 4k set when a decent 1080p will do just fine.

Thinking of having the Hisense delivered so would make a return easier if required. Will hold fire until I get some more feedback. Thanks again!

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Definitely make sure you buy either online or by telephone ensuring you're able to return it if it doesn't meet your requirements.

Best of luck.

6. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Will do. I think I might wait and see if the H6400 drops in price. I'm thinking it should do as the J6300 is currently at the same price of £499. It would be exciting taking a jump into the unknown with the Hisense but I'm not overly keen on the design TBH. And while it is a bargain within it's category it's still a lot of money. Might give Richer Sounds a call for some info.

Any Hisense owners out there with some feedback? :hiya:

7. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Just had a very informative run down about Hisense from Daniel at Richer Sounds, Exeter. Apparently, the software is built for American and Chinese 60hz instead of UK 50Hz and this causes glitches. Otherwise he said they are really good. I wonder if there have been any software updates that rectify this issue which he might be unaware of? I guess if there had been Mark would have updated his comments on this particular issue on his review of the K321. No sense dwelling on Hisense any longer methinks!

8. elmo01

elmo01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Have you checked hotukdeals some cheap 4k with good feedback similar prices

9. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think at the moment I am leaning towards a decent 1080p set. Will probably hang on and see if there are some crazy reductions in next few weeks.

10. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    It just occurred to me; the 49" K6300 is about to hit the shelves. Surely if Samsung intend to carry over the J6300 into 2016/17 (can't see why they would) then that leaves the H6400 with nowhere to go...except the bargain bucket. There's no way they would have three generations of 6 series competing with each other. Apparently Currys in the South West alone has around 400 48" H6400's due to come into stock towards the end of April. Which suggests there is a surfeit of stock which has to be sold. I just wonder if there will be a crazy price reduction sometime in the near future. Espeically with Euro's round the corner. ;)

11. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    No one sticking up for Hisense then?! The silence speaks volumes!:)

12. JWoodbine

JWoodbine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just posted in another thread, but I'll post it here too.

Bought the 55 inch Hisense for £499 on Wednesday. I haven't experienced any glitches but the picture quality in my opinion is really poor, too dark, blurry and not crisp or vibrant how I like it, it just looks dull and no matter what I try in settings I can't get it to how I like it.

I paid for it with my argos card online and collected it myself, do you think I could return it even though I've unpacked it all? I've still got all the packaging so can put it all back how it was.

13. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give Hisense a wide berth for the time being.

You should be able to return your TV if you are polite and explain that it fails to meet your expectations.

14. JWoodbine

JWoodbine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I took it back this morning and got a refund.

The thing is I checked the reviews on Argos and Amazon before buying and it got pretty good reviews saying it had an excellent picture quality, I guess they've never had a TV with crystal clear picture before. I also noticed the brightness kept going from dim to light which got annoying

Think when I try and buy another one I will stick with the Samsung make because that's been pretty good to me in the past.

15. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    That must be a load off! Reviews on Argos can be incredibly misleading. Every single TV, whether it's made by Sony or Alba, gets an overall 4 or 5 star score. I think some people just don't know the difference or just aren't bothered enough to find out. Back when everyone had CRT's the PQ would be very similar and I think that people still expect the same consistent level of performance from LCD's.

Which Samsung are you lining up?

16. JWoodbine

JWoodbine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know yet, will probably save up some more and get a good one and not buy a low budget TV this time.

17. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    There should be some good deals with Euro's coming up. The H6400 is a great all rounder. Should be heavily reduced for reasons I gave in a post above. Good luck with your quest!

18. JWoodbine

JWoodbine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  19. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  20. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    love my hisense, yes it has a few issues but what tv doesnt and the picture it produces it beats tvs worth alot more. and cetrtainly no issues with motion on any none 4k content and seems no differnt to the 3.,2k sony and samsung i had before.

let your eyes be the decider. rs are ok but they do push other tvs as they get better bonus.

21. DaveGP

DaveGP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi , just passing by this thread and noticed the issue here. I have a50 inch HIsense TV ( LTDN50K321UWT) as it was inexpensive (£430 ish I think it was !!!) and well reviewed BUT you do need to tweak it to improve picture - It was a tad crap before. Trusted Reviews site recommended these, which I tried and I have a fab picture now ... ( though they may still result in poor image when perceived by a n other ) .
    They suggested ""...turning off all noise-reduction and motion-processing systems, since these tend to leave film grain looking unnatural. Also, set the dynamic contrast mode to its highest level and turn down the backlight to around its 27-30 level.." I have it on theatre setting as well.

Finally it wouldn't play UHD from my new Panasonic UHD player until I moved the hdmi lead from HDMI one to HDMI 3 ( better specced - advise given to me yesterday on this site and which worked a treat). The picture /price ratio is stunning.

22. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    Dynamic contrast on high will give you lots of low end gamma boost but likely give you greyer blacks.

23. JWoodbine

JWoodbine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Like I said, I went the whole day trying to configure the picture to how I liked it and although sometimes it looked ok other times it didn't.

Maybe I just had a faulty TV, I had to send the first one I got back because the picture was completely broken. But compare the picture to my 5 year old Samsung TV and it's so much clearer and crisp.

24. DaveGP

DaveGP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Best Answer
    Just recalled my other tweak was to dial back contrast and overall brightness level- using a random film scene but which had a seemingly wide range from dark to bright. I guess there's a need to obtain test card type for UHD /HD moving on. I do feel the black levels are good and dont appear to me at a least to be greyed out . I've also set the Panasonic UHD player non HDR setting to even out the light range to better fit the TV and that's works well too - for those of us without HDR just built in !

25. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    Aslong as your happy thats the main thing. these sets can blow you away picture quality.

26. mabbyb

mabbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have the Hisense K700 and for the first few days I seemed to be forever tweaking the settings without finding a picture I was happy with, what looked good for one scene in a programme would look bad for another scene.

I lowered the contrast and brightness settings to much lower than I would normally use on TV's and maybe the screen settled after some use but now the picture is absolutely superb. I am no expert but the black levels, sharpness, colour and contrast make for a stunning picture! My previous set is a Panny GT60 so the Hisense has a lot to live up to.

I think sometimes some perseverance is needed and maybe a settling in period for the screen to get the best out of TV's.

27. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    It's impressive to know that your Hisense compares favourably with a GT60. I'm guessing the K700 is in a totally different league to the K321/EC591 though?

I have to say I had a 32" Sharp not so long ago that put out some very nice looking pictures. Perfect screen uniformity, deep blacks and strong contrast. Colours were a bit off and the EPG was prehistoric but the actual picture was great. It taught me not to completely dismiss TV brands outside of the big 4. However, it did only cost £129! Spending around £400 is a different kettle of fish. The 48" J6300 has just been reduced to £479 which has caught my attention. Apparently it might have terrible uniformity issues though.

PS. Thanks for all the comments and debate from you Hisense owners. Much appreciated and very interesting. Keep it coming! :smashin:

28. mabbyb

mabbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

I should've mentioned the screen uniformity is as good as I have seen on any led set I have owned & I am terrible for returning sets for this.

To be fair there are niggles with the set, 4k issues which are being sorted with a long overdue firmware update & the software/smart tv features seem a fair way behind the top manufacturers but luckily for me I never really use them, but in terms of pure picture quality I really can't fault it [emoji3]

29. mabbyb

mabbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you considered any of the LG sets like the 49uf690? Seems to be well received at Richer sounds. LG sets can produce great pictures & their smart system is very good. They are a bit hit or miss for uniformity but unfortunately this is the case with all led sets as you're obviously aware.

30. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't considered it TBH or any LG's in fact. I did have a 42" entry level model a few years ago and it did impress me in many areas. However, I found the greyish blacks too distracting to hang onto it. I assume that as LG LCD's use IPS panels that wouldn't have changed?

Uniformity is right at top of my priority list too so that's good to know. Not fussed about having a super slick smart interface either. Just give me a Netflix button and I'm happy!

I guess to summarise the thread we can say that Hisense might not be in a position to challenge the Big 4 yet but should definitely be considered the plucky under dog! And sometimes it's easier to like the outsider or maverick. Sounds like their sets are rough round the edges like an uncut diamond. I know that I grew quite attached to that little Sharp precisely because it exceeded my expectations for the price I paid. Which seems to be where Hisense is at right now. Food for thought!

31. mabbyb

mabbyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Completely agree about uniformity & blacks, before the Hisense I briefly owned the LG Uf850 you're right about the ips panel & poor blacks. Maybe the LG wasn't such a good recommendation [emoji53] back to the drawing board.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016