Hisense Q8 65 ULED review

Steeevee1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, wanted to share with you my experiences regarding the new Hisense 65 inch Uled Q8.
Ive got an australian model 65 inch q8

To be honest ive never been a hisense fan, i would always take a samsung or lg. And i was going to buy the lg nano 91. Id spent months of sifting thru technical specs, reviews, tested in store and at friends houses etc etc.
The single biggest reason why i had settled on the lG nano 91 is for the software and the Full array local dimming pro. THIS IS what you need for 4k uhd .

However upon seeing the q8 in person and paying a lottt less for the q8 i bought it over the lg nano 91.

Its great and i honestly recommend it for anyone thats looking for best value for money full array tv out there.

Why?
The full array local dimming, if you dont know what this is, google it or youtube it. Basically it turns on off and dims/intensifies certain areas of the screen when needed.

The q8 has impressive specs. with 200hz smooth motion.
Custom JBL sound ( i honestly only use my surround with movies now compared with my samsung) The sound is impressive!
The apps are to be honest really quick.
Two remotes, both you can use normally, one aluminum one you can connect via bluetooth for voice activation.

And my Favourite thing is that the stand under the tv isnt a stupid edge to edge one like most every other tv.
Meaning ie the samsung 65 inch stand foot print is 1340mm thats a huge tv stand. The hisense is 1020.
The build quality is on par with every single other tv, its quite thin with a thin bezel surround and decent integrated forward facing sound bar at the bottom.

yes hisense make some cheap tvs as well, but so do lg, samsung and everyone else. This model is not one of those, i actually stuck black tape over the hisense badge and have my friends tell me what they think it is. Only one friend picked it was a hisense as his dad has one too.
To be honest it took me about 30 mins to set up and a day or too of tweaking everything exactly how i like it but hey id buy it again for the price i paid.
The 4k uhd 60fps is breathtaking and the colours and blacks are very close to perfect.

Cheers
Steve

Hi everyone, wanted to share with you my experiences regarding the new Hisense 65 inch Uled Q8.

To be honest ive never been a hisense fan, i would always take a samsung or lg. And i was going to buy the lg nano 91. Id spent months of sifting thru technical specs, reviews, tested in store and at friends houses etc etc.
The single biggest reason why i had settled on the lG nano 91 is for the software and the Full array local dimming pro. THIS IS what you need for 4k uhd .

However upon seeing the q8 in person and paying a lottt less for the q8 i bought it over the lg nano 91.

Its great and i honestly recommend it for anyone thats looking for best value for money full array tv out there.

Why?
The full array local dimming, if you dont know what this is, google it or youtube it. Basically it turns on off and dims/intensifies certain areas of the screen when needed.

Custom JBL sound ( i honestly only use my surround with movies now compared with my samsung) The sound is impressive!
Two remotes, both you can use normally, one aluminum one you can connect via bluetooth for voice activation.

And my Favourite thing is that the stand under the tv isnt a stupid edge to edge one like most every other tv.
Meaning ie the samsung 65 inch stand foot print is 1340mm thats a huge tv stand. The hisense is 1020.
The build quality is on par with every single other tv, its quite thin with a thin bezel surround and decent integrated forward facing sound bar at the bottom.

yes hisense make some cheap tvs as well, but so do lg, samsung and everyone else. This model is not one of those, i actually stuck black tape over the hisense badge and have my friends tell me what they think it is. Only one friend picked it was a hisense as his dad has one too.
To be honest it took me about 30 mins to set up and a day or too of tweaking everything exactly how i like it but hey id buy it again for the price i paid.
The 4k uhd 60fps is breathtaking and the colours and blacks are very close to perfect.

Cheers
Steve
You going to be reviewing the U7QFT?

I am still undecided in tvs, looking at Panasonic GX800, LG Nano Cell Sm8500/6000 and 9000.

What you recommend?

To be honest, i looked around a lot and Panasonic seems to be almost non existant here in my part of australia, I didnt undertake much research on them due to that fact.
The nano 91 series was what i looked at due to the full array back light.
The Sm8500 is still a great tv but edge lit with local dimming (so not too bad)
The sm 9000 is better in the massive models ie 75inch up.
Theres a few good websites out there that help, ie
But ive found that they seem to be very samsung biased to be honest. ( i found using very similar tools in store gave different results to what they achieved?
Dont be afraid to download a movie onto a flash drive or even a youtube video and take it into some stores and try it out. Thats how i ended up with the hisense to be honest.

Attachments

• 20200624_174532.jpg
    20200624_174532.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 833
Also heres a quick shot of prime running on the hisense

Attachments

• 15934837061933374886491141238031.jpg
    15934837061933374886491141238031.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 961
Ratings & Reviews !
the Australian model is the same as the European model except the stand and the price!
also exists in 75 and 85 inches in Australia.

Thats great, but id hardly call three or four lines on the goodguys website a decent review. Just wanted to share my experience as i said.
Hoping to check out a 8k laser projector soon.

Why?

Hisense are a brand that in my opinion, having had a few over the years are very underrated. The latest models are on a par with most of the popular brands, Samsung, Sony, LG etc but vastly cheaper. My next 65" TV will definitely be another Hisense, probably the latest Q8.

Just bought a Q8 today from RS who price matched Costco. 1499.89 less £20 . Charged me £1479
Plus Hisense are doing a cashback of £500 on this tv bringing the price down to £979 bit of a bargain methinks.

Last edited:
Looks like you did well there bogart. Just rung RS to order but they wont pricematch costco as costco are not a participating dealer in the cashback offer :(

" Richer Sounds price used to compare will be net of any voucher / trade in discounts. "

Last edited:
Not sure what it has got to do with RS as to if Costco are in the cashback scheme. The telesales guy yesterday at RS said that was a totally seperate thing and had no bearing on price matching.

" Richer Sounds price used to compare will be net of any voucher / trade in discounts. "

Yes voucher by the vendor not the manufacturer. I would call them again try a pricematch and keep quiet about the cashback .

Looks like you did well there bogart. Just rung RS to order but they wont pricematch costco as costco are not a participating dealer in the cashback offer :(

Did you try to get a pricematch? Just been on the cashback site and Costco are listed as one of the participating retailers.

HI yes I noticed that now, they've been added. I ordered a unit from box.co.uk last week who price matched costco and were on list of cashback partners,

unfortunately this turned out to be a bad mistake! TV arrived Saturday and was faulty on arrival (wont accept any commands from the remote so cant set it up).

Still have no date for return from box. Their RMA process is a joke and ive basically been told to process my own return with hisense (great aftersales service!), although i think they may be doing it now. Why im having to go through all this nonsense at this stage in the sale i have no idea. They should just send out an exchange unit and deal with all this with hisense them selves afterwards.

Looking to do a chargeback now then they can pick it up in their own good time and i can get a working unit from somewhere else. As the cashback deal ends next Tuesday i wont be messed around by box.

Regarding RS called them this morning and they wont take an order/price match as they have sold all their units and dont know when they are getting any more in.

I bought a Q8 65” a week ago after doing quite a bit of research both here in Australia and from other forums. My choice came down to the Hisense or a Samsung S8. I’m not one for using the included apps as I run an Apple TV and PlayStation for all my viewing so wasn’t bothered so much by the user/included apps. I also run all sound through my AV receiver, so picture quality was the most important feature for me.
I previously had an LG 55” TV in the same space and the difference is amazing. The Hisense colours and black are way in advance of the LG (although now 5 years old) I didn’t expect the gap to be so noticeable.
set up was easy and whisky I’m still tweeking the various settings I’m liking what I’m seeing out of the box.
If anyone has some settings or the Hisense they’re running they’d be happy to share I’m Always happy to see how they compare.
The Hisense feels like an upper mid range build and when I have run sound through the JBL speaker it’s been better than I expected.
I was always a bit put off Hisense but after some time spent researching, am pleased I trusted other user reviews and got the TV.

Anyone able to offer any input on gaming on this t.v?

Also dark room movie viewing?

Thanks
Dark room, in my opinion it looks even better than daytime. Now that ive tweaked the settings to where I personally like it, i love it.
4k uhd runs beautifully on it. Whether via usb or hdmi.
In regards to gaming, i dont have a lot of graphics heavy pc games other than gtav, it was great as well. Sorry i dont have any fps or anything technical, but running the ps4 thru it is impressive as well. I have a htpc permanently connected to the q8 and apart from the odd time where windows changes the resolution around the tvs been great.
I watch movies with subtitles and im impressed at the white text on the letterbox black very crisp.
The only shadowing i get is if i put a black desktop picture and move the mouse around on a completely empty desktop. But its only just noticable with the dynamic range turned up high and brightness right up there.

Also I moved house recently with it. Layed it on a 10 to 15 degree angle on its back (similar amgle glass trucks carry glass) and it survived hahah.
havent even bothered connecting up the surround, just tweaked the levels on the equaliser and its great.
Hope this helps

Dark room, in my opinion it looks even better than daytime. Now that ive tweaked the settings to where I personally like it, i love it.
4k uhd runs beautifully on it. Whether via usb or hdmi.
In regards to gaming, i dont have a lot of graphics heavy pc games other than gtav, it was great as well. Sorry i dont have any fps or anything technical, but running the ps4 thru it is impressive as well. I have a htpc permanently connected to the q8 and apart from the odd time where windows changes the resolution around the tvs been great.
I watch movies with subtitles and im impressed at the white text on the letterbox black very crisp.
The only shadowing i get is if i put a black desktop picture and move the mouse around on a completely empty desktop. But its only just noticable with the dynamic range turned up high and brightness right up there.

Also I moved house recently with it. Layed it on a 10 to 15 degree angle on its back (similar amgle glass trucks carry glass) and it survived hahah.
havent even bothered connecting up the surround, just tweaked the levels on the equaliser and its great.
Hope this helps

Thanks m8...exactly what I was hoping to hear. Which size are you refering too?

here is the Q8 clone (U800QF LED TV Malaysian model)!
except the panel is in 120hz instead of 200hz for the Australian model Q8.

Still happy with mine, for the money would be hard not to be. If a Philips 805 appeared at a decent price, somewhat south of £2k, better still a 935 I would swap it out as I love ambilight.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom