Hisense Oled, not that good -> other Deals?

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
Hi,
I have now the Hisense A81G for 700€ in 55", which has some problems.
I am especially annoyed with the colours, brightness, movement looks sometimes blurry and at least HDR in RDR2 is Trash.

There are now some Deals, which should be quite good. I was also looking for the U8QF, but I waited too long and it now costs 1100, not sure if it´s worth it for that price.

How would my "downgrade" from Oled to LCD be? I understand that there won´t be real blacks, but with an good FALD, will the difference be THAT huge?

Here are some Deals:
Sony XH95, 1100 + 80 shipping...
Philips 856, 1500
C1, 1600€... complicated shipping
Nano86, 1000€

What do you say?
Especially the Sony seems to be interesting.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
It's surprising you are finding the OLED quality poor, even though it's made by Hisense it really shouldn't be that far of in terms of picture quality compared to other budget Oled screens from Philips or LG.

I would definitely look into your settings again.

Dodgexander

The U8Q should be quite a bit cheaper, but in some ways it's just as good as the Sony XH9505.
Philips and LG C1 on your list are your best bet. Philips 8/10 calibration out of the box, LG 9/10. Both should be quite a bit better than the Hisense OLED you have.

Nano86 is going to be a big step down in quality.

Sony XH9505 is also an option if you decide on an LCD TV instead. You'll hear people state there's a night and day difference between OLED and LCD TVs and others state they don't really notice the difference at all.

A lot will depend on your own personal preferences when it comes to the pros and cons of each technology, your viewing conditions and viewing material too.

For instance, some people just can't stand blooming on LCD TVs, so going back from an OLED to an LCD TV is very hard, other people aren't too bothered by it all, or don't really notice it because they are always using the TV with a light on.

next010

Distinguished Member
RDR2 has always had bad HDR that is not the fault of the screen. Its motion blur and low frame rate don't help either on an OLED with near instant response time.

Not many English speaking sites seem to have looked at the A81G but this Dutch site has looked at the Hisense A90G and has a recommend general settings table, that might be worth trying.

I would also try playing games that are 60fps or have a toggle switch to performance mode in the game and see if it still bothers you.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
The U8Q should be quite ........

For instance, some people just can't stand blooming on LCD TVs, so going back from an OLED to an LCD TV is very hard, other people aren't too bothered by it all, or don't really notice it because they are always using the TV with a light on...
Unfortunately the U8 does not seem to be available anymore.

I guess the X95H would be the most interesting.

The 90J would be also available for the same price and I read that it has better contrast, but worse HDR? What would be there preferable?

How is Blooming with Subtitles? I watch a lot of Anime and that would be annoying.
Well, at least when I watch YT Videos I am pretty annoyed with the shown Blooming.

It's surprising you are finding the OLED quality poor, even though it's made by Hisense it really shouldn't be that far of in terms of picture quality compared to other budget Oled screens from Philips or LG.

I would definitely look into your settings again.
I have already calibtrated it several times with those white and black boxes and the colour intensity with the blue rectangles.

The biggest problem is that I have to constantly switch around modes depending in what content is played due to the orange faces. With those it is the best overall Setting, but then faces or orange???

RDR2 has always had bad HDR that is not the fault of the screen. Its motion blur and low frame rate don't help either on an OLED with near instant response time.

Yeah, already read about it. Going to ty Last of Us today.
The "blur" is in some TV content. It´s ofen like the people are "teleporting" or sometimes it´s like there are afterimages.

And I am talking mostly about HDR in movies. I don´t really see anything. I have a 4k Player from a friend here and I don´t exactly see a difference in stuff like Revenant, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Logan, Deadpool, Shallows.
Everything is just darker.

Basically calibrated it like the site.

Dodgexander

I guess the X95H would be the most interesting.

The 90J would be also available for the same price and I read that it has better contrast, but worse HDR? What would be there preferable?

How is Blooming with Subtitles? I watch a lot of Anime and that would be annoying.
Well, at least when I watch YT Videos I am pretty annoyed with the shown Blooming.
A lot depends on size. At 55" the XH95 from last year is a better TV than the X90J. At 50"/49" then they are similar.

Blooming is certainly something you get with all FALD LCD TVs, Sony don't suppress it quite as well as Samsung do either. There will be glowing around the subtitles as you're limited by the zone count of the TV.

Since you are having problems already with HDR being too dark I would avoid models like the X90J which are known to be dark. Instead look at TVs that are brighter.

The XH9505 from last year (55" and up) will be good, but also give blooming.

An OLED with higher brightness like the ones in the pro section of this guide will be ideal and are worth saving up for. That way you get brighter HDR, but without blooming of subtitles.

If you're looking to spend as little as possible but still get a bright picture the following models stand out in the guide:

Samsung Q80A (or last year's Q80T) - A starter HDR model like the Sony X90J but its HDR is quite a bit brighter. The minimum you want to aim for really. Blooming suppression is better than the X90J, but it still has blooming in a dark room.

Panasonic JZ980 (or last year's HZ980) - These tend to be one of the cheapest OLEDs that reach about 700 nits which is quite a bit brighter than the entry models.

Philips OLED706 (or last year OLED705) - These are almost 700 nits, so probably a little better than the Hisense. OLED806 or OLED805 would be even better.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
I have another question.

Is it possible that this TV only has HDMI 2.0? I thought that it would have at least 2.0b.
Because when I activate HDR from my PC then the Refres Rate jumps down to 30Hz.

And is there anything I can do for Overscan?
The TV´s Overscan is only available in TV watching and not when something is connected per HDMI.
With it the content on the left and top are complete, but the right is cut off by ~20pixels and the bottom by ~5px.
Strangely it regulary changes, yesterday it was on the right side only around 10px.
I cannot change anything in Radeon Settings nor do not find anything in Win Settings.

Dodgexander

You have to engage the switch on a TV to change the HDMI ports from 1.4 to 2. Not sure what its called on your TV but its usually something like 'standard' or 'enhanced' or 'UHD color' under HDMI settings.

PC graphics card also needs to be v2 compliant for it to work.

Overscan will only be available on non-digital sources, if it's not available it is disabled. What you may be noticing is pixel shift, a method OLEDs use to prevent burn in.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
Curious, why is this not activated by default?...
My GPU has 2.0b.

I am still unable to switch the refres rate. The moment I turn on HDR, it switches back to 30Hz and when I have HDR activated I can only switch to 60Hz when I deactivate HDR.
I have a 48gbs cable.

Is it really possible that they still build with 2.0 ports? Because that would fit for 4k hdr 30hz.

Ahh you are right. I have only had equal Overscan before, but now the picture is "moving". Every time when I connect to the PC a different part is cut off.

Dodgexander

It's not activated by default for the sake of legacy devices. Some devices wouldn't work if the TV defaulted to HDMI v2.

You don't turn on HDR, you enable or disable HDMI v2. If you are getting 4k 30hz its usually because you're being limited to HDMI v1.4 and not HDMI v2. If that's not on the TV side, it could be your graphics card or cable.

4k 30hz is not a limitation of HDMI 2 it's a limitation of HDMI 1.4.

Some TVs may still have some ports which are v1.4 and some v2. In case your TV is one of them, make sure you're connected to a v2 port, and the format is set to enhanced. Usually the manual gives info on how to switch the HDMI version.

If you're using a 48gpbs cable that may also be your problem. That is a 2.1 spec cable rather than 2.0 spec.

Also consider that cable length plays a big part, longer cables will not transmit HDMI v2.0 signals very far. You get about 3m to play with usually, depending on the quality of the cable. For HDMI you ideally want to be using a certified high-speed cable. Certified ultra-high-speed cables are for HDMI 2.1.

IHaveNoIdea897

Novice Member
hmm strange, everywhere I read, it says that I need 2.0b for 4khdr60hz.

The port says 4k60Hz CEC, it is enhanced.

I have found:
I tried to change to those lower values, but it still does not let me switch to 60hz. No matter, how low I set them.

Dodgexander

HDR10 was added in 2.0a.
2.0b I believe added support for HLG HDR.

4k 60hz non HDR works with HDMI 2.0 without a or b, although most devices now are HDMI 2.0b for HLG.

If you want HDR10 also, you need at least HDMI 2.0a.

HDMI 1.4 limits 4k to 30hz with no HDR.

If you're being knocked down to 4k 30hz every time you enable HDR, but you are able to use SDR fine at 4k 60hz something is wrong with your connection process, be that the setup on the TV, the cable or the graphics card.

How long is the cable you are testing with? Did you try a non-HDMI 2.1 cable?

Have you tried different HDMI ports on the TV?

What about a different graphics card?
What graphics card do you have?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom