Hisense media player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy this unit. Connected as per instructions. Both Usb stick and extenal usb hard drive recognised. Played movies and photos right away, result. However when i connected it to my BT home hub via wired rj45 lead, I went to net on display, it showed folder "my shortcuts "with another folder underneath "bt/THOMSON", however when trying to access my laptop files which is connected to home hub wirelessly no files are showing. I am wondering if I have been sent out a returned unit as I have no idea where this folder name (THOMSON) comes from. My name is not Thomson so it cannot be picking up anything like this from my computer. So much for a result, I am pleased with initial results however I would be obliged if anyone could explain how to get round this issue. The unit is badged as a V-Bridge and appears to be working on Version 45, as I am beginer with this type of equipment I did not want to mess around with upgrading anything technical. Any and all information would be greatfully recieved.

Last edited:
Can't help you with the files not showing up. But Thompson is a brand of broadband routers. And a quick Google shows that BT hubs are rebranded versions of Thompson routers.

Yep,, thats the right answer, Sorry, networking is a bit of a nightmare for some, and if you are flummoxed by that, then you are in for a long learning curve, have you considered using home plugs, to make things a little bit easier,, and there are some good networking tutorials,, posted on here,, from you tube or for XBMC,, but the same rules apply.. do younreally need to network is the other question,, My Dads one is not, and we use a usb drive and an sd card via a usb adapter, for new stuff and for transfer using the built in file management ,, no problems and he is nearly 80...

... it showed folder "my shortcuts "with another folder underneath "bt/THOMSON", however when trying to access my laptop files which is connected to nome hub wirelessly no files are showing.

As others have said, the bt/THOMPSON network is almost certainly your broadband router.

Which Operating System is your laptop running (XP, Vista, Windows 7) ? Have you turned on file and printer sharing and shared the folder containing your media files ?

You should be aware that a wireless connection to your laptop probably isn't going to have the stability/bandwidth to reliably play HD media files on the Hisense. If you have a BT Home Hub 2.0 (sounds as though you might), then it's possible to plug an external USB Hard Disk in to the Home Hub that will be accessible from both the Hisense player and your laptop. Then you could copy the media files onto that from your laptop and access them from the Hisense.

Im running with vista on laptop and I'm suddenly realising working via network is not as easy as I thought, "Have you turned on file and printer sharing and shared the folder containing your media files ?"
Looking for idiots guide to do this as info book with unit is not very clear. I will keep soldiering on, thanks for all the replies and information.

Last edited:
this is driving me nuts....I've even defined a new admin account called media
with password media, but on the Hisense box I select Net first, then /workgroup/, then it see's my computer name...select that, and its then that it asks for the user id & password.....but every id & password I've tried comes back with "logon failure":mad: thanks for your help really appreciate it
I also have this problem

Although I can see all my shared documents on C drive without the need for a Net ID or password

I am however prompted for these when I click on my WD Elements external hard drive

I have tried all combinations of IDs and passwords

I've also tried with my firewall off with no joy

I do admit though that it very well could be a me thing

Hi guys, recently got this player but need to extend the supplied dc power lead. I bought an extension with 2.1mm connections. Although it attaches to the vbridge player, I cant connect the the other end with the supplied power supply. I went into Maplins and asked if the two could be connected - I tried to 2.1mm to 2.5mm and vice versa - but again could not connect the power supply to the lead. I then randomly tried to connect a 2.1mm to 1.3mm connection - the power supply actually fitted into the 2.1mm side. I dont understand :( Is there any way to extend the power supply without soldering etc ? thanks

Hi guys, recently got this player but need to extend the supplied dc power lead. I bought an extension with 2.1mm connections. Although it attaches to the vbridge player, I cant connect the the other end with the supplied power supply. I went into Maplins and asked if the two could be connected - I tried to 2.1mm to 2.5mm and vice versa - but again could not connect the power supply to the lead. I then randomly tried to connect a 2.1mm to 1.3mm connection - the power supply actually fitted into the 2.1mm side. I dont understand :( Is there any way to extend the power supply without soldering etc ? thanks

If for some reason that you don want to use an extension, use a choc box ,, with a connector block...

Toolstation > Electrical > Junction Boxes > IP20 Choc Box

At the moment I'm just plugging my USB drives in. Is it possible to just plug my MacBook straight into the Ethernet port?

I also have this problem

Although I can see all my shared documents on C drive without the need for a Net ID or password

I am however prompted for these when I click on my WD Elements external hard drive

I have tried all combinations of IDs and passwords

I've also tried with my firewall off with no joy

I do admit though that it very well could be a me thing
What I did to resolve this problem in XP. It states with Norton but it worked for me and I'm using Avira antivirus

Thanks to PEV

Antivirus software may cause Event ID 2011

Clients cannot access network shares. Additionally, Event Viewer on the Windows server may log one or more of the following event messages in the system log: Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this behavior, increase the IRPStackSize value in the registry:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Navigate to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
  4. In the right pane, double-click the IRPStackSize value.

NOTE: If the IRPStackSize value does not already exist, use the following procedure to create it:
    1. In the Parameters folder of the registry, right-click the right pane.
    2. Point to New, and then click DWord Value.
    3. Type IRPStackSize.

IMPORTANT: Type "IRPStackSize" exactly as it is displayed because the value name is case-sensitive.
  5. Change the Base to decimal.
  6. In the Value Data box, type a value that is larger than the value that is listed.

If you created the IRPStackSize value using the procedure described in step 4, the default value is 15. It is recommended that you increase the value by 3. Therefore, if the previous value was 11, type 14, and then click OK.
  7. Close the Registry Editor.
  8. Restart the computer.
If the problem persists after you complete the preceding procedure, try to increase the value of IRPStackSize even more. The maximum value for Windows 2000 is 50 (0x32 hex).

If you are running Windows NT 4.0, and the problem persists after you complete the preceding procedure, you may have to apply Windows NT Service Pack 4 or Service Pack 5.

Hi Tobycgraham,

I had exactly the same problem and got one of these extension cables which worked perfectly on the Vbridge.

JH

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just a quick question for Hisense owners.

Given this unit is currently available for £40, would any of you recommend I not buy it based on any negatives you've come across?

I've been reading threads and it all looks pretty good for the money aside from the fact you can't remount the filesystem rw so there's a lack of software install options etc. I don't like that but everything else seems to be double the money.

The only thing a hisense cant do, is act like a nas,, it can play files from your network, but you cant read and write using it,, otherwise it is a fine buy,, it is good enough for the money..

I received my Hisense yesterday and have connected it to my Sony Bravia W5810 TV via an HDMI cable. If I switch the TV on BEFORE the Hisense the resolution is automatically set to 480P and the only other option available is 'Auto HDMI'. There is no audio. As far as I can tell, the resolution remains the same whatever video I choose to watch. However if I switch the TV on AFTER the Hisense then I'm able to choose any resolution I want up to 1080P and the audio can be heard. Switching the Hisense off and back on again causes it to revert to 480P and the audio to be switched off.

I've checked all the options on the Hisense and the TV but can't find any setting which will stop this occurring. Can anyone shed any light on this problem ?

Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

I am currently using Component, which is working pretty well to be honest (without the problems as described above) but was going to buy a HDMI cable to replace it. Should I?

Yes,, a HDMI is only a couple of quid, from amazon,, dont know if you will get a better picture though HDMI,, I have no issues with mine..

I received my Hisense yesterday and have connected it to my Sony Bravia W5810 TV via an HDMI cable. If I switch the TV on BEFORE the Hisense the resolution is automatically set to 480P and the only other option available is 'Auto HDMI'. There is no audio. As far as I can tell, the resolution remains the same whatever video I choose to watch. However if I switch the TV on AFTER the Hisense then I'm able to choose any resolution I want up to 1080P and the audio can be heard. Switching the Hisense off and back on again causes it to revert to 480P and the audio to be switched off.

I've checked all the options on the Hisense and the TV but can't find any setting which will stop this occurring. Can anyone shed any light on this problem ?
twosheds: This might be the Hisense sending bad data over the CEC channel causing TV issues. Find out by chopping pin 13 off the HDMI cable :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...e-mp800h-interferes-tvs-use-hdmi-cec-arc.html

Hi All

Just set my account up, been a visitor to the forum for a few years, have always found my questions answered... until now.

I bought the MP800H on Friday and it was delivered today.. however, I can't seem to figure out how to get to get my wifi dongle to work with it - I have a ZyXel G202. Is this product compatible, and, if it is, would someone who knows how to get it to work be so kind as to help me out please?! :)

Of course, if I need a different dongle, I'd appreciate being told that too!!

Thanks alot!

I have been seriously looking at the Hisense, but it's been a year and the GUI is still poor, basic mp3 functions etc. That's not to attack it for those that are happy with it - I guess I'm too spoilt by XMBC on my aging XBOX.

I always thought I wasn't bothered by superficial things like GUI. Wrong!

Then again I can find fault with all the options within my price range. I'm too picky for my own good.

wd tv Live custom firmware,, new OSD, and it will be the new love of your life,, and you can dress it up, to look like XBMC.. LOL

Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

I am currently using Component, which is working pretty well to be honest (without the problems as described above) but was going to buy a HDMI cable to replace it. Should I?

My Hisense plus HDMI cable talks to my Sony TV at 1080p no problems at all.

I have it set to HDMI Auto and let the tv and hisense negotiate an acceptable resolution. Since the TV does 1080p that is what it defaults to.

So there need not be a problem with using HDMI. Getting lower res could be a settings problem or some TV/Cable incompatibility but there is nothing inherently wrong with the HISense and HDMI running at 1080p or whatever.

I would recommend choosing the HDMI auto setting to start with and then play around with hard coded resolution settings if you really feel the need.

My hisense plus HDMI plus sony 1080p tv works just fine so most likely the problem lies in the settings you have chosen.

Make sure you disconnect any composite cables if you are using the HDMI - the TV may be synching to the composite signal and not the hdmi.

Also there is a setting in the audio set up if you want audio via HDMI then you need to make sure that you've chosen HDMI RAW or the other HDMI option (lapcm?). Maybe the lost audio is because the tv is expecting audio via the RCA plugs rather than hdmi becuase it is has chosen to use the composite video rather than the hdmi. So I guess I'm saying check your cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom