Hisense H8G Owner's Thread & Discussion

Ezilyamuzed

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been evaluating the 75H8G for the past week. Here's a quick review of my experience so far:

The H8G series comes in 4 sizes, all sharing the same specifications. The most significant change from the earlier H8 series is the addition of Quantum Dot technology that was only available in their top of the line H9 series. It is still an LED screen, but without getting all technical, Quantum dots simply results in brighter, more saturated, and more accurate colors.

Other key features shared by the H8G series are a bezel-less frame, more local dimming zones (up to 90, depending on size), Dolby Vision HDR, Dolby Atmos sound, and HDR10+. The interface is Android TV with Google Assistant. The unit reviewed here is the 75" version.

Out of the box, the H8G set to economy mode, and frankly the picture left a lot to be desired. Immediate and significant improvements were gained with a simple switch from economy to Theater Day Mode. While the ambient light where the TV is placed differs will require a bit of playing around, once I started turning off all the dynamic options and interpolation features, I noticed improvements in the picture with every feature turned off/disabled. Turning the brightness down to 70-80 resulted in very good black level and very vibrant and accurate color. Again, your mileage may vary depending on the the particular lighting conditions of the room the H8G is placed in, my results were very accurate colors and very black blacks. I am sure with proper calibration the results would be outstanding.

Capture.PNG

20200422_174622.jpg

This was my first time using Android TV, and while I'm used to Samsung’s interface, there's a lot to like here. The interface is clean and for the most part self-explanatory, displaying a row of favorite apps at the top and various "channels" below that which displays apps for access from your home screen. There's also a Play Next section, which groups all of your apps together and recommends things to watch based on what you've been watching.

20200422_132243.jpg

There’s a good selection of apps available, including all the big names like Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, and Amazon, and s whole host of varied, lesser known apps are available. Chromecast is built-in, as is Google Assistant. Just press the button on the remote and ask it to find a movie, or even control living room lights and room temperature if you have those smart home devices installed and configured. Whatever you can use your Google Assistant on your Android phone, you can do from your TV. The performance is fine overall, though I did run into noticeable lag now and then. If you have a soundbar connected via eARC, however there is a noticeable lag in response when adjusting the volume.

The H8G comes with 4 HDMI ports, but it does not list in the specifications whether they are HDMI 2 or HDMI 2.1. Responses from Hisense employess to questions regarding this on both Amazon and Best Buy Q&A pages for the H8G state it does have HDMI 2.1 interfaces. I’m assuming they are NOT 2.1 as while the H8G supports ARC (making the addition of a soundbar with ARC support simple), it does not support eARC, which, using the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 supports lossless Dolby audio. This is not necessarily a “bad” thing, as HDMI 2.1 is generally only featured in most manufacturer’s premium line of televisions costing two to three times the cost of the HG8, but if it is supported, why? It doesn't seem to make use of the benefits of higher bandwidth associated with the 2.1 spec.

Overall the design and build quality of the H8G is pleasing, although it is a bit “thicker” than I would like. I really like the bezel-less screen, which allows edge-to-edge pictures along the top and sized, with a very narrow bezel along the bottom.

I don’t like the remote, which while having all the functions, looks bland, dated and cheap. It is contrary to the aesthetic of the television itself and looks out of place.

Despite a few drawbacks, overall the H8G is an exceptional TV, offering a gorgeous 4K ULED panel with Dolby Vision and HDR+. Android TV is a clean and functional interface. When you put all of that together with the more than reasonable price, you end up with a very good value.

Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

What I liked:
Gorgeous picture with vivid color and decent black
Andoid TV is a clean, easy to use Operating System
Dolby Vision and HDR support
Goggle Assistant and Chromecast built-in

Not so much:
Remote looks dated and no illumination
Android TV can be a bit slow
Lack of eARC despite the (claimed) presence of HDMI 2.1

Just got my 65 inch version set up. I can't seem to enable "Enhanced" HDMI 2.0. It is grayed out in "Standard" mode. Very frustrating. I'm trying to hook up my HTPC. So far all indications are that you must have a gaming console plugged in to get it to switch.

You can't enable Enhanced HDMI 2.0 until you have an active HDMI source.

I've had the 55" H8G for a few days and it's a great option in the price range, you would be hard pressed to find better really.

It's not without issues though, the picture is great and the black levels are what you expect from FALD, Android TV runs relatively smooth and I like the remote actually as it is light and sturdy. My biggest con currently is there is a problem getting Google Home to cooperate fully with the TV, like I say play Stranger Things on Netflix and Google Home replies "Okay Stranger Things from Netflix playing on (TV name)" then quickly comes back with "Sorry something went wrong when your ready give it another try".

I have tried all the normal things to get this to work without success, occasionally it will launch Netflix but just sits there with a spinning circle for about 30 seconds then goes back home.

Other than that I am quite happy with the TV.

I tried to plug in the HDMI while playing HDR source material but it still stayed grayed out. I'm working with a guy on the Hisense Facebook page. So far no dice.

Actually I just checked, you don't need an active source.

Hit the input button on the top right of the remote, change to HDMI source, hit the menu button, go to Picture, scroll down and HDMI 2.0 Format should be available.

It is not. It's grayed out. Like I said, I tried playing HDR content and did just as you described once I plugged the HDMI cable back into the set.

That's very strange, did your TV receive the OS update?

Yeah that's the most up to date version, do your HDMI ports work?

The only thing I can think of is an incorrectly specced HDMI cable but I don't think it's that as I can select a HDMI port which I have nothing connected to and still enable enhanced HDMI 2.0 on that port.

I have purchased an HDMI 2.1 cable to see if that is the problem (waiting for it to arrive) I doubt it though. I was using my current cable on my main system last week. Thanks for the update.

Hello,

I just purchased the 55 H8G and am really happy with the quality for a cheap price. The only problem, and its relatively minor, is that when I try to play an HDR game in the HDR game mode preset I get some purple areas in dark parts. I think this is something wrong with the preset since the other preset HDR modes don't do this. Has anyone noticed this and figured out a fix, or contacted Hisense about it? I'm fine just using the standard HDR setting, but it'd be nice to have the low in put lag only available on Game HDR.

Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

I don't get that on the PS4, I haven't tried on my Xbox One S.

Here's some pictures thats similar to what I'm seeing. This person shared these on the Hisense subreddit. He/She didn't get any recommendations on fixes, but this is pretty much exactly what's happening to me.

I don't know mate, all I can say is I've not seen this on my TV.

What system are you running and what game are you seeing it?

Base PS4. Seen on every HDR compatible game I've played so far (COD: MW and The Last of us Remasterd). You even see it if you calibrate the HDR in the PS4 setting during the final calibration where the background is dark with grey text.

I doubt it's the TV itself since the other HDR settings work fine. It's got to be some error in the software processing the dark areas when also lowering the input lag.

It's either your HDMI cable or the TV, as I said my 55" H8G does not do this on a base PS4.

I'm pretty sure its not the cable since it worked on my old TV before it burnt out. Maybe I'll try factory resetting it and seeing if that fixes the issue.

Here is a (bad) picture of the last calibration on the PS4 in HDR game mode.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_195439.jpg
    IMG_20200604_195439.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 498
when gaming does everyone have active contrast on high or have it off? I think it looks better on high

Also I prefer backlight at 50

Here is a (bad) picture of the last calibration on the PS4 in HDR game mode.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been having a few discussions on the Hisense subreddit, and actually came up with a slight workaround until an update can address the issue. Apparently this is an issue with the TV putting out 1080p HDR in game mode. I had another user say that their PS4 Pro would show the same issue if they set their output to 1080p instead of 2160p. So, after thinking through this I tried to change the output on my launch PS4 to 1080i and low and behold it worked. Now it's running HDR perfectly, with no purple areas in place of black areas. One of the social networking employees for Hisense has let the team know about this issue and they are looking into it. But for now, the workaround for those that are experiencing this with a base PS4 is to drop your resolution to 1080i for the time being. Will update if a software update fixes the 1080p issue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom