Hisense H65N5300

bellso

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Managed to grab one of these beasts last night from Costco at £599.98 [was very nearly swayed to get the 556800 version at £575, but probably foolishly wanted size over quality.......]

So, can't see a dedicated thread to this? - many owners on here?

How have you set it up to get the best from it?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I just picked this unit up too. Normally a Panasonic guy but thought I’d give this a bash at this brilliant price point. But only due to the brilliant 5yr warranty through Costco.

I’m after some settings to get the best out of it too...

I seem to have settled on keeping it in gaming/pc mode, then dropping the backlight right down to around 38/100. Contrast down a little, Brightness up a little. Colours as warm.

All processing settings turned off aside from a little bit of sharpening.

Looks good with a HD feed. I'm stuck with Sky HD and bog standard broadband, so it won't really see any 4K action until i can stump up for a disc player. But i'm pretty chuffed so far for £600 and the screen size!

All my stuff looks good in HD but SD not so much. An issue I have is that I have one setting for watching TV and the Game setting for my PS4 but the standard settings like colour, brightness and sharpness etc are the same across both. I think the only difference is for watching TV I have colour temperature set to warm. I have been streaming a lot from the apps but have yet to watch a blu ray disc and the only way I can do that is through the PS4 so I'm a little unsure about the gaming setting being used for watching movies even though it's mostly identical across the board.

I have Sky Fibre broadband at £10 per month. If you log into your account online you may find you can get 12 months at £10 per month too or call them up and ask them. Means you can stream 4K easily.

Can't get fibre - new house 11 years ago, in a built up area, still not go it!!

I would keep trying, most sites let you put your postcode in and tell you what is available from what companies.

I just wish someone would review these sets professionally and provide all calibration settings.

I just wanted to post an update which I should have done a while back. I contacted Hisense and there is in fact an update for this model which does allow you to view HDR but on my TV the firmware would not show up. I got it from Hisense and did the update and now I can view HDR but the problem now is any HDR content I have viewed has been from USB, and I'm not too keen on the HDR so now I need to see what versions of things are available to get the SDR instead of HDR lol.

So there are upgrades but you might need to contact them for it. They asked me what my software number was and they told me there was a new software update available. Very easy to do.

I just wanted to post an update which I should have done a while back. I contacted Hisense and there is in fact an update for this model which does allow you to view HDR but on my TV the firmware would not show up. I got it from Hisense and did the update and now I can view HDR but the problem now is any HDR content I have viewed has been from USB, and I'm not too keen on the HDR so now I need to see what versions of things are available to get the SDR instead of HDR lol.

So there are upgrades but you might need to contact them for it. They asked me what my software number was and they told me there was a new software update available. Very easy to do.
Hisense told me it could show hdr. I challenged this, they've since replied to say that was a mistake and that there is no way this panel can output hdr images.....

Are you saying you don't like how hdr plays on this TV? Tbh is still havent got a 4k source as don't have fibre or a uhd player. Can't hdr be turned on and off?

I don't have an exact answer.

I had downloaded some 4K stuff and when I played it back on the TV from USB the picture was very dark, almost unwatchable. I looked online and seen this was a big thing for a lot of people with HDR TVs, not just from Hisense and HDR isn't really about brightening all the colours like many of us thought. That's when I came on here and questioned it all because there are older TVs than this that received updates from Hisense and those allowed those panels to display HDR. I didn't understand why this one was left out because if you go into the HDMI settings, it says it can display 8 and 10 bit colour and 2.2.

I then emailed Hisense twice, the second time I got a reply and both times I asked if there was an update for this model of TV, I have the 55" version and I asked them can you tell me if there is an update for this TV or will there be one in the future that allows HDR because I know you did it with other TVs over the past few years and I would love this TV to do the same and be the same as the rest. I also mentioned what I said in my own thread about the PS4 not recognizing it as a HDR TV. When you send your message to them online one of the questions they ask you is for the software number of the TV. When I got my reply a few days later the person said to me that there is in fact and update for this TV and they gave me the link for it and instructions on how to update the TV and I did that.

Here's where things can be a little tricky. They told me about the update and gave it to me and gave me the instructions. There was no mention of HDR but in a separate paragraph they said have you got the correct HDMI lead for the PS4. I've been using the same lead for 3 years so obviously I don't think it is a new one but that was them acknowledging the HDR without actually saying HDR so when that paragraph came after the update and the instructions, I read that as being this update will allow HDR.

The film I got which was with HDR was The Magnificent Seven. It was very very dark, unwatchable, when I played it again it was better, you could watch it but the colours were not jumping off the screen like I thought it was supposed to. I then played an SDR version of Wonder Woman which was fantastic, it looks amazing. What I then did was i played 4 samples of three separate things all of which are in HDR. I got the Kingsman Golden Circle, Blue Planet 2, Dunkirk and Wonder Woman. My PC cannot play HDR, I don't think many PCs can but when I played all of these samples on my PC they were all very dark, Blue Planet 2 in particular. When I then played them on the TV all of them looked fine. The clip with Blue Planet 2 had a bird flying over this city, on my TV there was blue skies and sun shining and you could see all the colours on the bird. On my PC it was just like a dark shadow flying across the screen.Kingsman was bright and sharp, very colourful, surprised me because it was like the SDR version of Wonder Woman, it looked amazing, Dunkirk was better but not to the extent of the other two but the big thing was the skin tones and the colour of the water, massive difference and Wonder Woman was very different, the thing I noticed most was the colour of the grass and the sky being very different shades but nowhere near what it was on my PC which again was unwatchable.

I can only think that's how those are meant to look. The more I learn about HDR the more I have learned what it's about. It's supposed to be more realistic. The problem is you cannot turn it on or off unless you have a UHD player or your source is connected via HDMI. I've been told there's only a few players that actually allow you to turn HDR on or off, the only other way to do it is in the HDMI settings and turn Enhanced off. I'm playing these videos via USB so it's more tricky for me because there are several versions of everything, there's 8 bit SDR, 10 bit SDR and of course HDR. It definitely plays the HDR videos fine now but I don't know to what extent they are. I don't know is it true 10 bit colour or not. I can only explain what I see and the Blue Planet 2 and Kingsman Golden Circle samples where like night and day prior to the update and after it and then comparing on my PC to the TV. Whatever the update did do it took those files and turned them from very dark dim videos into full colour videos. I checked the software number afterwards and it has been updated even though my TV is on a wired connection, it kept saying there was no update available. They gave me the update and it has been updated. It also rearranged the apps in a different way and the EPG seemed to be quicker when browsing it.

I had never seen HDR before I got this TV. I personally thought it meant something other than what it was. The only HDR videos I really liked was Blue Planet 2 and Kingsman Golden Circle. For the others I would watch the SDR versions but that's just my preference. I don't know the best words to use to describe it but it was too "movie like" for me. I just think that is how those films are meant to look, I think Magnificent Seven and Dunkirk are supposed to be that way. I just loved the others because they were so colourful. It's just my preference.

Mate, thanks for taking the time out to write up your feelings, appreciated.

Guess maybe the settings need adjusting for when watching something in HDR, alter one of the 4 presets with higher brightness.

For now, i'm happy with this TV as it is with SKY HD and Netflix HD sources. If i find the spare cash for a UHD player or Openreach sort their game out and get me fibre, i will see if i can give it a whirl.

Does anyone have any best picture settings for this TV?

Got one arriving tomorrow and so looking forward to getting it set up!

Hi there, I got it direct from Hisense by messaging them through their website.

I would also like anyone who has picture settings for this TV to please post them. I'm watching 4K content on Netflix just now and want the best picture settings for it.

Hi there, I got it direct from Hisense by messaging them through their website.

Did you ever manage to connect your PS4 and use HDR? Mine just says that the TV doesn’t support it.

Last edited:
Mine is still the same but I only have an old HDMI cable, they said it would need to be a newer one aswell as enabling HDMI 2.0 for me to get HDR on the PS4. I've never gotten one so far.

Does anyone have any picture settings for the N5300 series?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom