Question Hisense H65M7000 or a 2017 55' tv for a similar price?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by MikeMike1, Oct 2, 2017.

1. MikeMike1

MikeMike1
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi guys,

I've done some reading around the web and here in the forum (including guides from dodgexander, thanks for writing them!).
      There are two similar discussions, but I still want to ask mine giving some context.

USAGE:
      I use the TV for gaming on PS4 slim (50% of time) and Netflix/Streaming (40%) and 10% for football.
      SOURCES:
      Even if I don't have a PS4 PRO I'm still looking for a 4k TV as I might upgrade to a PS4 PRO , and I won't change this new TV before 4 year.
      DISTANCE:
      90% of time I sit at 2 m from my tv, so a 55' should be ok, but bigger is always better, and sometimes I watch it while eating from a bigger distance so having a 65' would be very useful. I love sitting in front of a big screen and I don't watch it from wide angles.
      BUDGET: 1200€ (Price for an H65M7000 in Germany). I started with 900€ budget for a 55' but then I've seen many good reviews for this TV that I convinced my self to spend more for a bigger tv, that's why I'm reluctant to spend the same for a smaller TV.
      HDR: I know I can't get the best HDR experience, but still I want to use HDR gaming and seeing the difference and being happy of having it :)

So let's go with my questions:

1) as a 55' might be ok for 90% of the time does it make sense to go for a Samsung UE55MU7009 or a Sony 55XE7005 and save some money?

2) What about Sony xe8505 for the same price?

3) Will I get a better HDR/experience from those 3 tv that I will forget of the chance of having a 65' in my living room? (My budget for a 55' was under 1000..)

(If I didn't mention a TV that I should consider please suggest it! the xe9005 is over my budget.)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,037
      The best you can get if you can't reach the XE90 is the XE85, but I would wait for the prices to lower.

HDR won't be great on it as it only has a wide colour gamut, no high peak brightness or local dimming or anything like that.

At 65" that M7000 is a terrific buy if you can still find that. Its not any worse than the MU7000 or XE85 series.

XE70 series doesn't even have a wide colour gamut, but when you can't afford a TV that is good with HDR then you may as well buy cheaper since HDR won't be good no matter what.

3. MikeMike1

MikeMike1
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi guys,

I'm updating this thread to share with you my experience. After consulting you and checking all the reviews I bought the 65M7000 it from amazon.de but I was highly disappointed when watching a football match I noticed that I had a vertical banding issue (Panel Banding/ Array Banding) on the middle-right side of the screen (it appears like a big vertical band 15cm wide). After noticing it on that match I was able to see it also on other sources like PS4 blue screen.
      So I ordered a replacement from Amazon and it arrived 2 days ago.
      Result? Vertical banding again, not as visible as the first one, but it's there, this time on middle left side of the screen, plus clouding issues on the bottom-right corner. I'm really disappointed and it isn't something that you can pass on, everyone I invited home to watch a match noticed it without having me pointing out the issue.

What do you suggest? Should I order another replacement? Keep it and call customer service? Or go for an MU7000/XE85 for an higher price?

What about going for a 65XD75? Is that a big downgrade in terms of image quality compared to the MU7000?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,037
      This isn't banding, its dirty screen effect. I do not know why it keeps getting referred to online as vertical banding. Banding is a colour/contrast problem related to smooth gradients/posteriszation. It has nothing to do with backlight uniformity.

What you are witnessing is dirty screen effect where part(s) of the backlight shine stronger through one part of the panel than the other. This is most noticable on plain backgrounds, even more so in the dark and on uniform colours like the green in a football pitch or as you have said already a solid blue screen.

Screen uniformity is something that plagues every TV, less some than others. But you can buy even a high end LCD model and still get screen uniformity issues. This is why the term "the panel lottery" was invented. Go take a look at any owners thread on here and you'll see a lot of discussion regarding the uniformity of their panel be it LCD or OLED.

So you might be thinking how you can avoid this? Well, you can't really. Every TV will have it, no TV is going to be completely uniform without any screen uniformity differences at all but it sounds like you had two models in a row that were particularly bad. It could be because these are left over models from last year perhaps or maybe you just got unlucky. Perhaps this particular batch is bad.

If you wanted instead to go for a different model as you have suggested the two TVs Samsung MU7000 and Sony XE85xx series are good options at 65". They have similar specs to the Hisense but again you are taking a gamble with the panel lottery.

If you want a significant gain in chance of not getting a bad screen you are looking probably at stepping up to OLED price levels or very high end LCD TVs like the Sony 65ZD9...but even then you could have problems..just your chances are smaller.

Sony 65XD75 isn't as good as the Hisense you already own and actually uses a panel type more prone to screen uniformity issues.

I'd also be aware of viewing angles. All the good TVs now use VA type panels which means they come with very narrow viewing angles. If you start to view the TV outside of a 60 degree cone from the centre you will notice the screen being less uniform more, so make sure you view straight ahead from the TV when testing.