Hisense H50B7300UK died, should I get SDR instead of cheap HDR?

G

Gessika

Hello,

My Hisense kicked the bucket the other day and apparently the board has gone, so I have been looking around here and as I don't want to spend a lot of money that I don't really have, would I be better going for a £300~ SDR TV over a £300/£400~ HDR TV? My Hisense was HDR but I am very much a novice when it comes to picture quality etc so can't say I really noticed much, though I believe the consensus on here from what I have read in the guides is that I probably had a worse picture quality than just having a SDR TV.

I pretty much only play PS5 games on it and occassionally watch some YouTube, but the gaming is 95% of it's use. Not really worried about 120Hz/FPS gaming as it seems too costly for the performance gains (I got a PC for my higher end gaming).

Any reccommendations around the price range (or a little over) are more than welcome, and thank you very much for any advice given, really appreciate it :)

I think you will hard pushed to find a SDR TV these days. The lower ranges are usually classified as HD Ready. You didn't give any indication what size screen you are looking for. It has to be said that lower price ranges aren't going to give you much in the way of quality and the recommendations given in the Forum is always that they are best avoided. You get what you pay for. Most of the cheaper brands, in spite of the labels on them, are made by Vestel who are not renowned for quality in the UK.

Apologies, it was 50 inch and that's what I am looking at again (really is the biggest I can fit in here). Are there not TV's that are just 8 bit colour, they are all HDR10/10+ now? I don't want to be stuck with HDR if it is worse than normal 8 bit colours :)

Currently looking at this TV (50 inch QLED Hisense A7G). I know saving up and waiting for better would be the smarter choice but with our inflation and everything that is going on, and the fact I am currently TV-less, I unfortunately can't do that.

Just seen this Samsung Q60A which also is a contender, even if slightly bigger. I think I can fit another 5 inches ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You'll get HDR whether you like it or not which is a real problem these days since cheaper TVs do not cope with displaying it well. It makes it hard, if not impossible to recommend a cheaper TV.

Your best bet is probably second hand, look for a 2017 or new OLED or an LCD TV with around 1000 nits peak and a FALD system.

If you were happy with your old Hisense though you'll be happy with any 50" model you buy today. You could instead focus on buying something cheap, rather than more expensive on the premise you're not going to find something new for £500 that's noticeably better than one for £300. The Samsung Q60A is a good example of this and is too expensive usually compared to competition.

Also have to ask, is the Samusng 120Hz? This Amazon listing says it is, but I can't find anywhere else confirming that, everywhere else saying 60Hz.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It's not, first Samsung with 120hz from their 2021-22 lineup is the Q70A.
The Q80A would be ideal if you can stretch to it.

Samsung advertise 120hz on their 60hz TVs because they can accept the signal, but accept it is all they can do. It's downgraded to 60hz on the TV.

Damn that is a scummy marketing ploy, thank you for the information this sight and all the articles have been a great help, thank you :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom