Hisense B7500 vs Hisense U7B vs Hisense U8B or something else?

faidtoblack

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking to purchase a smaller size TV (Panasonic 40gx800) but after much deliberation have decided to go for something that I think represents better value for money. I am going to be watching movies and shows through netflix, prime, now tv, Disney+ and while I would like to take advantage of HDR I realise that I would need to go to the Sony 49XG9005 to really take advantage of that.

Therefore my thinking now is to go for one of these Hisense sets (either 50" or 55") and I would be grateful if someone with a bit more knowledge could advise me as to which I should go for. As I said I will be watching mainly movies and series through the above mentioned dedicated apps. I will be viewing head on and normally in a dark room. Ideally I want to spend as little as possible but I want to enjoy what I am watching and am a bit worried that these Hisense sets might look terrible and be a waste of money. I am very much open to other suggestions from any brand at all.

Last edited:
You need to aim for TVs that have ample HDR hardware to display HDR without issues.

The GX800 doesn't have good HDR hardware, but manages better than other budget TVs to compress the HDR down within the constraints of a low end TV.

The best thing to do is shop for deals on TVs that make the mark with HDR, in my guide 'upper mid range' and higher:

There have recently been some great refurbished deals too:

Although beware of the current impact of the virus. The Sony store seems to have closed.

Have a read through the numerous threads in the Hisense forum. Get an idea of real world perception of the sets and problems people may have had.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I will have a good look at the Hisense forum, good thinking.

My original plan, when realising it made more sense to go bigger for better value, was to wait for either a Sony 49XG9005 or 55XG9505 on their refurb store as you have suggested @Dogexander. Problem is that with the current situation I figure I need to order a TV today or tomorrow from somewhere like JL or RS or risk not getting one for many months. As you said the Sony refurb store is shut so that is a no go now anyway (I am surprised to be honest they are still letting online retailers deliver stuff and I assume that will probably have to stop at some point). I am also a bit morally conflicted as to whether I should be buying a TV at the moment but that is another question altogether.

The issue I have is that about 12 months ago I sold my Sony 49XF9005 and my Panasonic OLED so that I could buy a new mountain bike and since then have basically spent all my spare time pursuing that interest. I work in a school and for the next few months it is likely I will only be in school one week every three weeks so I figure this will be a good time to get back to watching movies and shows etc.

I know that there is no cheap set that would compare with the Sony or the OLEDs but I need to spend as little as possible (sub £500 definitely) and I am a bit lost as to what would be best to do. One moment I think a Hisense 43" or 50" B7500 might be the best option but I keep worrying that it is going to be a waste of money. What would you guys get for sub £500 for Netflix, prime, now tv, Disney+?

Thanks

Last edited:
The Sony store is still doing deliveries, just not returns over 43" apparently, perhaps its due to the returns carrier they use.

I'm really not sure how to answer your question though. I guess it really depends on your expectations. You can't buy any TV as cheap as the Hisense and expect to be completely happy, but there are also people who are over the moon with how much TV they got for the money. Judging from your last two TVs I'd say you might be shocked at how worse a cheaper TV may be, particularly if you are going to use HDR material.

I guess what I was trying to say in my last reply was, don't spend the money at all if you are going to use HDR unless you meet TVs that reach that threshold.

If you really can't push the boat out to higher end TVs and you can't wait then I'd buy one of the Hisense B series models but not use it with HDR material. I don't think the Disney+ app is on Hisense TVs unless you buy the B7120 Roku model from Argos and I'm not even sure if you can turn HDR off on the app or not. You certainly can't turn off HDR using Netflix unless you downgrade to the HD only plan. Prime you can choose between the HDR version of the video and the SDR one.

Last option I can think would be to go for the Panasonic GX800. The 40/50 versions sometimes sell pretty cheap compared to new on their own refurb site: Bargain - Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread

It at least has better tone mapping so you don't get as many problems with HDR, but I definitely wouldn't recommend paying new prices for this TV as its overpriced.

But even then with the GX800 you still carry the same shortfalls as a cheaper TV, worst motion in particular.

EDIT* forgot to add that Disney+ is not available as an app Panasonic either. Probably they will get support in the future but I wouldn't count on it.
To clarify:
B series Hisense TVs running Vidaa - No Disney+
B7120 Hisense model selling at Argos uses Roku and should have Disney.
Panasonic - No Disney app at all.

Thanks again @Dodgexander, wise words as always.

Looking at the 49XG9005 refurb prices on your thread it does look like I would be mad not to wait it out a bit and see if one of those comes up again on the Sony refurb store. I am sure that the Hisense 50B7500 at £350 is a lot of TV for the money but for a hundred quid or so more the Sony (as long as I get a good condition one) has got to be the better deal. I also saw the details about how there is the possibility of adding extended warranty so that is food for thought also. As I said previously, I did have a 49xf9005 so I am assuming the performance of the 49XG9005 would be on par with that at least? I've also noticed that some places are advertising the 49XH9005 so that may potentially push the price of the Sony down further.

The XG9005 is basically a copy of the XF9005. More or less the same TVs.

Yes the time is near where the newer models enter shops. Provided new stock of the XG9005 doesn't sell out then it could mean some good discounts on even the new models.

If I was to up my budget and screen size, how would the Samsung 55Q85R compare to the Sony 55XG9505? I would only be watching movie/series through the apps (Netflix, Disney+, amazon etc) and possible 4k discs in the future for movies. I know that the Samsung does not have Dolby Vision but I am guessing that HDR performance would still be good vs the Sony?

They are roughly similar, the Q85R is a little better overall due to better local dimming.

What Samsung lack with Dolby Vision they gain in HDR10+ which is the format Amazon tend to use more often.

If you watch a Dolby Vision/HDR10+ title on a TV that does not support that format HDR will still work, just using the HDR10 layer of the video instead. The hardware that each TV uses to replicate HDR (local dimming, peak brightness) is of more importance than the HDR formats it supports.

HDR will be good on both and quite a lot better than lower tier models like the XG9005/XF9005 or Samsung Q70R/Q80R.

They are roughly similar, the Q85R is a little better overall due to better local dimming.

What Samsung lack with Dolby Vision they gain in HDR10+ which is the format Amazon tend to use more often.
Silly question, but if I watch Netflix on a q85r then how would the Dolby Vision content look? I am guessing that it is still going to look good and would still impliment HDR in some capacity?

Silly question, but if I watch Netflix on a q85r then how would the Dolby Vision content look? I am guessing that it is still going to look good and would still impliment HDR?
I made some edits to my last post after you replied sorry, that may answer it a little. Basically the support for the HDR formats does not make a huge difference in the quality of HDR compared to the HDR hardware included with the TV.

In the case of these two models I do not think the Sony will have visibly better HDR than the Samsung even with a Dolby Vision HDR title, that is just because the local dimming on the Samsung is quite a bit better.

The Samsung has better local dimming, but picture accuracy isn't as good as the Sony. Go for the Samsung if you know you will be troubled by poorer screen uniformity, but go for the Sony if you prefer picture accuracy.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I think that I will see if I can get lucky with a 49XG9005 or possibly a 55Gx9505 on the refurb store. If not, I will wait things out and pick up a samsung 55Q85R at the best price possible. I see there is a promotion whereby I'd get a free soundbar with it at the moment for 1k but that is still a bit more than I am prepared to pay. I also quite like the idea of owning a half decent Samsung TV to compare with the Sony and Panasonic OLED that I previously owned.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom