Hisense B7500 VS Hisense B7120 VS Panasonic GX800B

adamza

Novice Member
Hi, I'm trying to get a budget to mid-range TV for playing video games and I'm looking for the best visual fidelity (resolution, HDR implementation, etc) that my money can buy, along with an at least not bad sound quality.

I can afford all three of the following TVs, which are my "finalists":
1) Hisense B7500
2) Hisense B7120
3) Panasonic GX800B
Note that I'm going to be buying a 43 or 40 inch model (depending on the TV).

Which one is the best in your opinion? I heard that the Panasonic one is hugely overpriced while I heard pros (value for money) and cons (no HDR10+) for both the Hisense ones.
Any comment would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

EDIT: Having learned that the Hisense b7500 supports Dolby vision, which is to be supported by Xbox Series X apparently, I think this should be a major factor in choosing the b7500 over the b7120.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Mid range TVs usually come with higher hz panels and better anti reflective properties compared to low end, the ones in your list are all low end.

Low end TVs are not suitable for HDR use, they don't get bright enough, don't have good local dimming. These are features reserved usually by high end TVs, not even mid range.

You must treat these TVs as non-HDR models, as using them with HDR is not going to get you good results, that's whether the TV has Dolby Vision or not. If you use HDR on them, you'll get problems such as the picture being too dark or washed out.

adamza

Novice Member
Mid range TVs usually come with higher hz panels and better anti reflective properties compared to low end, the ones in your list are all low end.

Low end TVs are not suitable for HDR use, they don't get bright enough, don't have good local dimming. These are features reserved usually by high end TVs, not even mid range.

You must treat these TVs as non-HDR models, as using them with HDR is not going to get you good results, that's whether the TV has Dolby Vision or not. If you use HDR on them, you'll get problems such as the picture being too dark or washed out.
Thanks for the insightful comment.
Unfortunately, my budget is very limited (I can go up to the price of the Panasonic option, which is the more expensive choice of the 3). Is there any TV that you'd recommend within this price range?
Thanks.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
While all those TV's have HDR and some of the higher formats of that, none of them are good enough to show HDR off, never mind Dolby Vision.

Having HDR on them is for compatibilty, if they didn't have it and you watched 4K Netflix content on them, they would look all washed out and the colours would be very off.

Those are all budget TVs and to be honest at that size won't benefit from the 4K resolution anyway, you'd have to be sitting about 1m away from the TV to notice it over 1080p.

TVs with the features you seem to want aren't made in screens that small. You'd need to go for a 48" OLED or 50-55" LCD to get that, at much higher cost.

My advice. Either forget about 4K HDR and just watch HD content on them or if you can up your budget and screen size.

adamza

Novice Member
While all those TV's have HDR and some of the higher formats of that, none of them are good enough to show HDR off, never mind Dolby Vision.

Having HDR on them is for compatibilty, if they didn't have it and you watched 4K Netflix content on them, they would look all washed out and the colours would be very off.

Those are all budget TVs and to be honest at that size won't benefit from the 4K resolution anyway, you'd have to be sitting about 1m away from the TV to notice it over 1080p.

TVs with the features you seem to want aren't made in screens that small. You'd need to go for a 48" OLED or 50-55" LCD to get that, at much higher cost.

My advice. Either forget about 4K HDR and just watch HD content on them or if you can up your budget and screen size.
What would be the cheapest option that you could recommend that could actually make a difference? Right now I have an old 1080p TV and the games don't look as good as I've seen elsewhere.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Right now I have an old 1080p TV and the games don't look as good as I've seen elsewhere.
But what did you see them on?

A 4K 65" OLED TV @ £3000?

Nothing in your price range is going to make a huge difference although it would help to know what your current TV is.

Note - Telling us it's a 1080p Sony doesn't really help, we need details.

adamza

Novice Member
My TV now is a 28 inch samsung TV from more than 7 years ago.

But, I cannot afford a 3000GBP TV. Not even close. I'm just trying to upgrade to something that's at most 600GBP while getting the best picture out of it for it's worth. I'm not searching for picture quality per se, but picture quality with respect to the cost; i.e. value for money. I'm just aksing what's the best one of the 3 TVs above and if you have any alternatives within that price range.

Of course I'm not expecting to see anytihng remotely close to what a 3000GBP TV can provide, but I'm just asking what is the best I can do at this range?

Dodgexander

Are you open to potential refurb deals? If so, check: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

They seem to refresh stock each Friday, last time they had a Sony XG9005/XF9005 which is actually a very capable HDR TV in budget, and the higher tier XG9505 for around £750. You can even pay extra for an extended warranty. Most people have found the best deals by calling their local Sony Centre and speaking to them directly about refurb/ex display deals.

If you are only interested in buying new you'll have to treat the TV more or less an SDR TV. Of course you'll still get gains in picture quality moving from an older model just because things have moved on so much, but you won't get the striking gains like you'll get from a more capable HDR TV.

But that brings me to something you may have already seen mentioned in other threads, now is not a good time to buy a TV if you can't find any 2019 models..and 2019 models seem impossible to find now. New 2020 TVs have only been released a couple of months ago, and still cost a lot more than they are worth. You'd be best revisiting the purchase at a later date. See: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread for more info on that.

If you don't want refurbished, and you don't want to wait the best you'll find with a limited budget right now will be from Hisense. If you can fit a larger TV, the better value for money and better calibre TV you'll be able to afford. For instance the 50" Hisense U7Q. That TV whilst still not really capable with HDR, kind of gets half way there with local dimming and around 700 nits peak brightness.

But if shopping at smaller screen sizes you can't really beat the Hisense B7500 you mentioned if you can still find one. It unlike others is a 2019 model, so isn't priced as high as other options. The B7120 is more or less the same TV, but with Roku instead of Vidaa (Hisense own OS) and will be better to use as a smart TV, but lacks Dolby Vision support. Since Dolby Vision support isn't a big deal on a TV that is not really suitable for HDR use, I'd personally recommend the Roku TV instead.

Panasonic TVs like the GX800 are overpriced, I wouldn't buy one new. They do sometimes sell refurbished though, see: Bargain - Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread

adamza

Novice Member
But what did you see them on?

A 4K 65" OLED TV @ £3000?

Nothing in your price range is going to make a huge difference although it would help to know what your current TV is.

Note - Telling us it's a 1080p Sony doesn't really help, we need details.
My TV now is a 28 inch samsung TV from more than 7 years ago.

But, I cannot afford a 3000GBP TV. Not even close. I'm just trying to upgrade to something that's at most 600GBP while getting the best picture out of it for it's worth. I'm not searching for picture quality per se, but picture quality with respect to the cost; i.e. value for money. I'm just aksing what's the best one of the 3 TVs above and if you have any alternatives within that price range.

Of course I'm not expecting to see anytihng remotely close to what a 3000GBP TV can provide, but I'm just asking what is the best I can do at this range?

adamza

Novice Member
Are you open to potential refurb deals? If so, check: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

They seem to refresh stock each Friday, last time they had a Sony XG9005/XF9005 which is actually a very capable HDR TV in budget, and the higher tier XG9505 for around £750. You can even pay extra for an extended warranty. Most people have found the best deals by calling their local Sony Centre and speaking to them directly about refurb/ex display deals.

If you are only interested in buying new you'll have to treat the TV more or less an SDR TV. Of course you'll still get gains in picture quality moving from an older model just because things have moved on so much, but you won't get the striking gains like you'll get from a more capable HDR TV.

But that brings me to something you may have already seen mentioned in other threads, now is not a good time to buy a TV if you can't find any 2019 models..and 2019 models seem impossible to find now. New 2020 TVs have only been released a couple of months ago, and still cost a lot more than they are worth. You'd be best revisiting the purchase at a later date. See: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread for more info on that.

If you don't want refurbished, and you don't want to wait the best you'll find with a limited budget right now will be from Hisense. If you can fit a larger TV, the better value for money and better calibre TV you'll be able to afford. For instance the 50" Hisense U7Q. That TV whilst still not really capable with HDR, kind of gets half way there with local dimming and around 700 nits peak brightness.

But if shopping at smaller screen sizes you can't really beat the Hisense B7500 you mentioned if you can still find one. It unlike others is a 2019 model, so isn't priced as high as other options. The B7120 is more or less the same TV, but with Roku instead of Vidaa (Hisense own OS) and will be better to use as a smart TV, but lacks Dolby Vision support. Since Dolby Vision support isn't a big deal on a TV that is not really suitable for HDR use, I'd personally recommend the Roku TV instead.

Panasonic TVs like the GX800 are overpriced, I wouldn't buy one new. They do sometimes sell refurbished though, see: Bargain - Panasonic refurbished eBay store thread
I'm open to buying a refurbished TV, yes.

I guess a strategy I could follow is to wait until Black Friday (in 2 months from now), use the two remaining months to save up a bit of money so that I could up my budget to, say, 700GBP and then buy a new TV or refurbished one then. This way, I can find a good deal due to Black Friday and wait a bit for the TVs to get cheaper. Does this sound like a good strategy to you?

Also, note that Argos is selling the Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005 for 650GBP, which I guess I could afford in a couple of weeks. What are your thoughts on it?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
What Dodgexander said above. He's answered your query.

I'm not suggesting you spend £3k, you're saying you've seen games look better elsewhere than on your own TV, but what TV's were they?
£3K OLED's, ££350 Hisense TVs?

I wasn't there with you, I don't know.

If you could add £200 to your budget you could get a really capable HDR TV if you're willing to buy a refurb, if you get lucky and they get more in stock and if you're willing to act quickly.

A Sony 55XG9505 has been available in very, very limited numbers from the Sony Centre for £750, another £50 or so will extend the warranty to 5 years. They restock the shop on a Friday from what I've seen but you can't hang around and post more questions here once you see it, you see it, you call your local Sony Centre, you buy it.
This TV is far above what you're looking at and last year, new, this was an £1800 TV.

As I said, other than that, what Dodgexander has advised.

Does this sound like a good strategy to you?
Yes and no.

It's unlikely you'll still be able to get refurbished models of the TV I'm talking about by Black Friday, it's a 2019 model so has nearly sold through.

adamza

Novice Member
What Dodgexander said above. He's answered your query.

I'm not suggesting you spend £3k, you're saying you've seen games look better elsewhere than on your own TV, but what TV's were they?
£3K OLED's, ££350 Hisense TVs?

I wasn't there with you, I don't know.

If you could add £200 to your budget you could get a really capable HDR TV if you're willing to buy a refurb, if you get lucky and they get more in stock and if you're willing to act quickly.

A Sony 55XG9505 has been available in very, very limited numbers from the Sony Centre for £750, another £50 or so will extend the warranty to 5 years. They restock the shop on a Friday from what I've seen but you can't hang around and post more questions here once you see it, you see it, you call your local Sony Centre, you buy it.
This TV is far above what you're looking at and last year, new, this was an £1800 TV.

As I said, other than that, what Dodgexander has advised.

Yes and no.

It's unlikely you'll still be able to get refurbished models of the TV I'm talking about by Black Friday, it's a 2019 model so has nearly sold through.
Thanks for your help. Final question, if you could answer it:
Argos is selling the 55 inch XF900BU model for 650GBP:

Do you think I should go for it?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's better than the Hisense TVs but it's barely capable of HDR and is actually a step back from the previous years XF model.

The XF9005 has occasionally come up in the Sony Refurb store for ~£500 and again, would be a better choice but I'd note that it's a gamble they will ever show up.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Whoops..

Sorry. You should go for that, it's a good TV at an excellent price. The only downside is only a 1 Yr warranty with Argos so maybe do some checking around to see if anyone else has stock.

adamza

Novice Member
Yes, I think bob thought you were talking about the newer XH9005.
Hi, sorry for making myself a burden with the multitude of questions, but I just found a deal for a new Hisense 50U7QFTUK for 500GBP. Seeing that it got some good reviews and it's QLED, I'm led to belive that it's better than the two Hisense TVs I mentioned above for a budget that's affordable to me at the moment. What do you think about this?

adamza

Novice Member
Whoops..

Sorry. You should go for that, it's a good TV at an excellent price. The only downside is only a 1 Yr warranty with Argos so maybe do some checking around to see if anyone else has stock.
Hi, sorry for making myself a burden with the multitude of questions, but I just found a deal for a new Hisense 50U7QFTUK for 500GBP. Seeing that it got some good reviews and it's QLED, I'm led to belive that it's better than the two Hisense TVs I mentioned above for a budget that's affordable to me at the moment. What do you think about this?

adamza

Novice Member
I'd buy the Sony.

QLED is still an LCD TV, it's just marketing, it's not comparable to OLED
You mean LED, not LCD, right?

Also, note that there is a huge price difference between the two. Again, give the unfortunate budget restrictions, I don't think the two are within the same price range, hence not comparable. But, my point is, if we forget the Sony one for a second (which I am intending on purchasing if I'm lucky and I get it refurbished, even when the price difference will still be 150-250GBP), is the 7QF better than the options I initially listed?

Dodgexander

I think you may have been pulled into marketing. My guess is Bob is just trying to say that a QLED TV isn't really anything special, its not a new display technology like OLED.

They are just LCD TVs.

LED TVs don't exist, its a misused term to describe LCD TVs that have LEDs as backlight, in other words every LCD now.

To answer your question though, the U7Q is certainly a better all round TV than the ones you picked out. It has both local dimming and higher peak brightness, something that is usually reserved for higher end models. The downside is its a 2020 model, so compared to older 2019 models its not good value for money. If you are set on buying a 2020 model, its a good idea to buy later rather than now as the prices will drop.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
You mean LED, not LCD, right?
Nope. LCD TVs are lit up by LED backlights. LCD is the correct terminology as that is what the screen is made of.

EDIT - Dodge got there before me.

The U7Q is better than your other choices, but still not as good as the Sony.

I was looking at buying a new TV a while ago for a room I rarely use and discounted the better Hisense models like the U7Q and U8QF as while their specs promise a lot, they're not without issues and the owners threads on here don't make for great reading with some very frustrated owners and some people who get awful shirty if you say anything against them.

I'd have a read through the Hisense area of the forum and the reviews before you jump.

Last edited:

adamza

Novice Member
I think you may have been pulled into marketing. My guess is Bob is just trying to say that a QLED TV isn't really anything special, its not a new display technology like OLED.

They are just LCD TVs.

LED TVs don't exist, its a misused term to describe LCD TVs that have LEDs as backlight, in other words every LCD now.

To answer your question though, the U7Q is certainly a better all round TV than the ones you picked out. It has both local dimming and higher peak brightness, something that is usually reserved for higher end models. The downside is its a 2020 model, so compared to older 2019 models its not good value for money. If you are set on buying a 2020 model, its a good idea to buy later rather than now as the prices will drop.
Thank you, I now know what to do!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett