Question Hisense 55U7A - Will it get cheaper, or disappear?

David Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
55U7A £499 at RS.

Is this drop due to a new 2019 model replacing it, and if so is the 55U7A about to be discontinued?

It's the TV I plan to put in the bedroom very soon so should I bite now or will it drop further?

Thanks for any info.

Is this drop due to a new 2019 model replacing it, and if so is the 55U7A about to be discontinued?
This is the time of year they move on old stock to make room for new models, so yes.
It's the TV I plan to put in the bedroom very soon so should I bite now or will it drop further?
I'd snap it up at that price, you aren't going to find a similar spec TV for less.

Ours died in under a year. Its a nice TV but seems unreliable. Thankfully after some shouting, HiSense sent refund voucher to John Lewis so now shopping for something new. Going to go Samsung i think

Richer Sounds give a 6 year guarantee so dying would be an inconvenience but not an issue. Samsung can't compare for the price with their UE55NU7400.

Yet it still averages four stars. With big selling models you’ll always see good and bad reviews.

Lets break down one of the user reviews to see the usefulness of it:

Big screen..... that’s about all I can say that I haven’t had issues with!!
So many issues with image settings, never got it with correct colours etc
The TV already comes with good out of the box accuracy, why is he changing anything? All you do is use the movie preset.
No 3.5mm stereo audio output jack, so you have to purchase a separate amp, optical converter and remote to control the audio level
Rating it lower because of a feature he should have known it didn't have before he bought it?
Keeps losing remote functions and it keeps locking on a black screen with only option to turn power off.
Sounds like either user error or just general issues with smart TV. I don't think its uncommon to find these kind of issues with every smart TV. Best use a Roku streaming stick or similar.
The Freesat doesn’t give you an epg so you can’t see what’s going to be on or do recordings and the usb has issues if the stick isn’t reformatted regularly!
Best of all and much to my amusement, technical say that the tv isn’t Freesat certified, so none of the problems will ever get resolved because they don’t have to as it’s not certified!!!!
Huh? The TV doesn't have Freesat, never did.
I have been in touch with their technical dept on regular occasions and they are currently sourcing additional software to install!!
Proper pain from the start.
Never again!
Would strongly recommend paying a bit more and get a brand that works!
So he thinks that his problems with smart TV are going to be any different going for a different model? I wonder how long it will take for him to realise he is best using separate smart TV. If its not for one reason it will be for another.

It always makes me laugh reading user reviews, unless they are knowledgeable they just go their to complain.

I would care more about the validity of professional reviews that praise the TV. The review here on AVF recommended the TV so I'm sticking with that. User feedback on the forum with Hisense is also very good.

This post in the owners thread sums it up to me (comparing it to the also recommended Philips 6 series). Hisense 50/55/65 U7A Owners Thread

No affiliation between me and AVForums, I just volunteer here. No affiliation between AVForums and Hisense either.

They sell their TVs close to cost value which is one of the reasons they have the same specs as models from other manufacturers selling for more.

At the end of the day if you buy from a reputable source you can return the TV no problem, that applies to any TV..there are people on the forum who have returned up to 20 tvs when trying to find the perfect one and thats sometimes with high end models.

Thanks for the response.

Been looking at Samsung UE55NU7400 also. Gets good reviews everywhere but there seems to be an issue with insufficient onboard memory to update apps? Couple of reviewers say they hope the set will last but it's a good excuse for an updated model switch out if it does clog up for good.

For my bedroom wall mounting the Samsung is a little slimmer than the Hisense too. Price beat at RS brings the Samsung in at £439.

Been looking at Samsung UE55NU7400 also. Gets good reviews everywhere but there seems to be an issue with insufficient onboard memory to update apps? Couple of reviewers say they hope the set will last but it's a good excuse for an updated model switch out if it does clog up for good.
Risk of IPS panel if you don't mind that. Also only 60hz which means no motion interpolation options with a 50hz source and Samsung 60hz models cant remove pulldown judder for films so they don't display at correct frame rate. Most people don't notice pulldown judder though.

Discussion on the 7400 thread here confirms 50" and larger are always VA panels. 43" seems to be the one with the IPS/VA lottery.

Would the U7A suffer judder as it's 120hz isn't a multiple of 50?

Any comment on the storage issue?

Last edited:
Samsung are a lottery when it comes to panel types but if those are recent user findings and you trust them that's up to you. I personally don't trust Samsung as I know they put a mix of panels on their TVs. That's true to all panels they sell that are available in sizes where Samsung also produce PLS (IPS) type. Its not true at 50" because there are no 50" PLS panels produced, but at 43, 49, 55, 65, 75 they can put PLS type panels on one TV and VA the next.

The unfortunate thing about this is it depends on the region, with some regions like North America always getting VA type panels on their lower end TVs and other regions such as Europe getting a mix. Sometimes it may even be different depending on the region within Europe too.

The U7A doesn't suffer from judder as it uses a 120hz panel, it can discern 24fps film frame rate and also refresh at 100hz for a multiple of broadcast 25fps/50fps. Comparing this to the Samsung with the 60hz panel it can refresh and display 25/50fps broadcast content okay because it can refresh also at 50hz but it can't do film without pulldown judder as thats 24fps.

No idea on the storage issue, it sounds to me like you can't install many apps which is true to a degree on every TV. I would worry about it if planning to use lots of different apps and not if you are just going to be using all the standard pre-installed ones such as catch-up TV. A cheap £50 Roku Streaming Stick will correct any smart TV woes though.

If you get an issue, you can return it I am sure, just get from somewhere with good customer service.

Looked at Samsung 55 7400 in John Lewis but didn't like the picture compared to LG 8100 at £150 more (£609 from RS price beating JL's £619). Having a 55B8, the LG appeals as it too has the magic remote. 64mm deep for wall hanging OK. The other one with a good picture was Pana TX55FX700B and just 44mm deep, slimmer than my B8 at 52mm. Don't know much about any Panasonic set though.

JL TV chap (18 yrs experience) didn't like Samsung much, neither did the manager of RS round the corner. He recommended LG 8500 but another £100 over the 8100 and this is supposed to be a budget buy! Not on display so the 8100 was the only one we could see.

That's bringing in a lot of other TVs into the mix.

Panasonic FX700 is just the same spec as the Samsung NU7400, it will for sure be using an IPS panel.

LG SK8100/SK8000 same spec as Hisense U7A but with IPS panel.

LG SK8500 is about as good as you'll get from an IPS panel, it will be thicker compared to the SK8100 as its direct lit with local dimming. More on par with the Samsung NU8000 with poorer contrast and blacks due to panel type.

I personally wouldn't consider any TVs with IPS panels unless you know you don't need wide viewing angles.

I don't carry any views on one manufacturer over the next, its very odd to mention that they like x brand over another when all brands make good and bad. Hisense for instance make much better value models in the low to mid section whilst Samsung do well in the mid range with the NU8000 and high range with the Q8DN/Q9FN.

Beware of 1. Trusting salesman, especially many in john lewis who are reps employed direct by manufacturers. JL do not have independent advice! 2. Judging TVs from a shop, always a big mistake. They will look nothing like that at home.

That's bringing in a lot of other TVs into the mix.

Panasonic FX700 is just the same spec as the Samsung NU7400, it will for sure be using an IPS panel.

LG SK8100/SK8000 same spec as Hisense U7A but with IPS panel.

LG SK8500 is about as good as you'll get from an IPS panel, it will be thicker compared to the SK8100 as its direct lit with local dimming. More on par with the Samsung NU8000 with poorer contrast and blacks due to panel type.

I personally wouldn't consider any TVs with IPS panels unless you know you don't need wide viewing angles.

I don't carry any views on one manufacturer over the next, its very odd to mention that they like x brand over another when all brands make good and bad. Hisense for instance make much better value models in the low to mid section whilst Samsung do well in the mid range with the NU8000 and high range with the Q8DN/Q9FN.

Beware of 1. Trusting salesman, especially many in john lewis who are reps employed direct by manufacturers. JL do not have independent advice! 2. Judging TVs from a shop, always a big mistake. They will look nothing like that at home.

I avoided the LG and Samsung reps in JL.
8500 is 1mm thinner than 8100 (63mm vs, 64mm).
Surely IPS has wider viewing angles than VA, according to: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?
...or is that wrong?
In any case, this is a bedroom TV, wall mounted in line with middle of the bed so VA may be better as there's no angled viewing.
So, what 55" other than U7A is good under £600 (8100 can be £589 at RS after price beat, I have found).

Was going to get the NU7400 myself, but the thread on the Samsung forums killed that idea. The storage issue seems to be that the TVs come with too many preinstalled apps about 700mb apparently and they cant be permanently deleted. It seems the motherboard has 4gb memory but only reads 1GB.
Worse still is that over the 6 months or so of that thread Samsung havent once posted on it and are still giving the same advice as they were at the start, even though that has been roundly dismissed by nearly all posters.
THeres a suggestion that it the whole NU7XXX RANGE affected too.

Richer Sounds and John Lewis have put the 55U7A back to £549! I did buy the U7A from Richer Sounds but the box has come delivered with a huge hole in it! So I'm waiting for a refund. That is the one major issue with Richer Sounds. The delivery company they use isn't much better than a man in a van. BJS Home Delivery 2 man delivery have a terrible reputation on trust pilot. Just as bad for me. Chap came to the door whilst the other stayed in the van, even though it's supposed to be 2 man. The 55 is too large for one person. He couldn't get his hands in the lift holes as too large so just carried it in diagonally and struggled to get it in the door. Then put his weight on it when I pointed out the box damage. Also their vans don't have a hydraulic bit at the end or even a ramp, so they struggle to get large packages off the van. I looked inside. Most things weren't even secured and when they were it was basically with bits of string! I love Richer Sounds but until they use a different deliver company don't see how they can be used. Really disappointed. When I get my refund will buy from John Lewis.

Surely IPS has wider viewing angles than VA, according to: Which panel type should I choose for my TV?
...or is that wrong?
Yes, I accidentally posted a double negative. IPS=Wide viewing angles. No reason to consider if you don't need them. Otherwise you jump between different models without factoring in two major picture quality attributes, blacks and contrast.

Richer Sounds and John Lewis have put the 55U7A back to £549! I did buy the U7A from Richer Sounds but the box has come delivered with a huge hole in it! So I'm waiting for a refund. That is the one major issue with Richer Sounds. The delivery company they use isn't much better than a man in a van. BJS Home Delivery 2 man delivery have a terrible reputation on trust pilot. Just as bad for me. Chap came to the door whilst the other stayed in the van, even though it's supposed to be 2 man. The 55 is too large for one person. He couldn't get his hands in the lift holes as too large so just carried it in diagonally and struggled to get it in the door. Then put his weight on it when I pointed out the box damage. Also their vans don't have a hydraulic bit at the end or even a ramp, so they struggle to get large packages off the van. I looked inside. Most things weren't even secured and when they were it was basically with bits of string! I love Richer Sounds but until they use a different deliver company don't see how they can be used. Really disappointed. When I get my refund will buy from John Lewis.

Hi there,

I was obviously most concerned to read of the problems you experienced following a recent delivery from ourselves.

So that I may investigate your comments further, and resolve the matter to your satisfaction, I've sent you a PM requesting more information.

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

In the end I've just bought the 55SK8500PLA from RS at £699 rather than the 8100 due to better dimming. May be the last one in the whole of RS, stock run out due to new 2019 models coming in.

In the end I've just bought the 55SK8500PLA from RS at £699 rather than the 8100 due to better dimming. May be the last one in the whole of RS, stock run out due to new 2019 models coming in.

Let me know how the tv is. I’m quite tempted by this. When I look at it in curry’s it seems to suit by needs. I’m thinking of getting a cheaper tv that’s a big step up to what I got now and also improve the sound by getting a soundbar or receiver and doing a 3.1 set up.

Many reviews say the SK8100 and 8500 don't really need a soundbar.

Certainly my LG 55B8 is fine without one but I can understand that once you've experienced one you can't do without it.

RS have run the 55" 8500 out now and tell me the 8100 should also be out of stock shortly as prices fall and demand rises for these end of line bargain buys. Don't hang about waiting for me to let you know. The brand new bedroom is still a week or so away from being finished so by that time you probably won't be able to buy either set.

Many reviews say the SK8100 and 8500 don't really need a soundbar.

Certainly my LG 55B8 is fine without one but I can understand that once you've experienced one you can't do without it.

RS have run the 55" 8500 out now and tell me the 8100 should also be out of stock shortly as prices fall and demand rises for these end of line bargain buys. Don't hang about waiting for me to let you know. The brand new bedroom is still a week or so away from being finished so by that time you probably won't be able to buy either set.

Cheers

What’s the difference between 8100 and 8500?

Hi all,

I've been following this with interest as I'm also looking for a 55" and previously shortlisted the U7A and the NU8000. Can you knowledgeable folks advise how the SK8xxx compare please...I didn't see this model mentioned in Dodge's reviews.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I've been following this with interest as I'm also looking for a 55" and previously shortlisted the U7A and the NU8000. Can you knowledgeable folks advise how the SK8xxx compare please...I didn't see this model mentioned in Dodge's reviews.

Thanks!

I can't say how it compares to those sets, but it's mentioned in Dodge's 2018-2019 best value lists, here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

As under...

Ultimately I was put off the U7A by RS managers and staff and two reviewers who said theirs had failed within a year, plus I still have an issue with the brand even though they're huge in the far east.
Plus, I couldn't find a demo model in any shop I visited.

I did look at the NU8000 and the 7400 but my familiarity with LG's Magic Remote and OS swayed me toward the 8500. £699 was over budget for a bedroom "cheapie" but it's easy to get carried away, especially when you're driven by folks on forums to believe there's something missing with a set you've seen and really like the look of.

Don't forget it's more about the feed than the TV's capability. Inputting SD to a UHD set may disappoint when you expect it to look like it did on Curry's Blu-ray.
Even the wrong spec HDMI cable can spoil things for you and you may never realise what's causing the issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom