Hisense 55AE7400FTUK - HDR problem

JJB100

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have the above screen and have what seems to be an anomaly with HDR through the TV apps.

If use the Netflix app on TV and watch a 4K movie the TV automatically goes to Dolby Vision.

The quality is not good, very grey and little extra detail. I have adjusted most vision settings while the movie runs with no success in increasing the 4K quality. The Info tells me that it is 15.25 Mbps and 2160.

An Internet Speed Test through an Amazon Firestick in the USB slot shows 36.83 Mbps.

As discussed on other post there is no function to disable Dolby Vision

Hisense H50B7500UK - HDR Picture Settings?

The anomaly is if I use Netflix through an Amazon Firestick (not 4K model) in the USB slot for the same movie the picture is of much better quality and detail than the Dolby Vision HDR even though this is 1080.

So, I am wondering if the WiFi pick up in the TV is up to it.

I have installed the latest software up date 1 week ago.

The problem is although your TV is HDR compatible, it's not HDR capable. TVs are being sold as having HDR but they den't even meet the minimum specs for good HDR display.
A decent HDR capable TV would have been considerably more expensive and that's what you'd have had to pay the extra for.

The Firestick is displaying an SDR image and your TV is perfectly good for that. The best thing to do is avoid HDR content where possible.

The problem is although your TV is HDR compatible, it's not HDR capable. TVs are being sold as having HDR but they den't even meet the minimum specs for good HDR display.
A decent HDR capable TV would have been considerably more expensive and that's what you'd have had to pay the extra for.

The Firestick is displaying an SDR image and your TV is perfectly good for that. The best thing to do is avoid HDR content where possible.
Sloppy Bob, So if I get a 4K Firestick and use it through the USB would I get 4K vision?

would I get 4K vision?

Do you mean Dolby Vision/HDR?

Yes you would.

You may be able to switch HDR off by going into the options on your TV for HDMI inputs.

Sloppy Bob, this is the link to the TV Specs so I am confused if this TV is HDR or not...

All new TV's are advertised as having HDR.

It's a con.

They do have it... but

In order to display HDR properly an LCD TV must have FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) so the LED backlight doesn't illuminate the entire panel rather than a small area.
Yours doesn't have that.

They also must have sufficient light from the LED backlight to show HDR off well. For this you need at least 1000 nits for it to be good. Yours gets to maybe somewhere between 1/3 and a half of that. So you don't get the required contrast, you just get a murky screen.
To get good HDR you'd be looking at the Hisense U8Q for example.

Note, I'm not saying your TV is bad, just that to get decent HDR you need to be looking at the upper mid tier models.
For SDR content it's perfectly good.

All new TV's are advertised as having HDR.

It's a con.

They do have it... but

In order to display HDR properly an LCD TV must have FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) so the LED backlight doesn't illuminate the entire panel rather than a small area.
Yours doesn't have that.

They also must have sufficient light from the LED backlight to show HDR off well. For this you need at least 1000 nits for it to be good. Yours gets to maybe somewhere between 1/3 and a half of that. So you don't get the required contrast, you just get a murky screen.
To get good HDR you'd be looking at the Hisense U8Q for example.

Note, I'm not saying your TV is bad, just that to get decent HDR you need to be looking at the upper mid tier models.
For SDR content it's perfectly good.
Sloppy Bob,

Thanks for the detailed oversight and education.
I think the TV gets 360 nits so see what you mean.
I am very satified with 1080 from the Firestick so still might try a 4K firestick.
I still have a 65" Samsung plasma (bought 2010) which is a brillant picture and just trying to get into the new tech, atm.

regards

John

This is what Hisense have replied...

Dear Hisense Customer,

Thank you for your email. I can let you know that different devices use different implementations of the Netflix app, there will be differences in the render used to produce the image, which will account for variance in quality.

In addition to this, content delivered across different devices / app implementations can have different levels of compression which means that there could be differences in bandwidth used by each device / app implementations.

To say more I'd like to see an example in an image, however the application is not covered by the warranty, as Netflix develop their own app with the TV.

From our stance there is nothing wrong with the WIFI, and is work as it should. If you are unhappy with the outcome, we do advise getting in touch with your retailer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom