Hisense 55 / 65K720 owners thread - LTDN**K720WTSEU

Discussion in 'Hisense TVs Forum' started by aido, Dec 1, 2015.

1. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I've been doing some research tonight about the new purchase and figured some of the info in some of the links may come in handy as it's a bit thin on the ground in the English speaking world.

There is a mixture of French, German and Chinese content so you'll more than likely need to use something like Google Translate to read it in English.

General info:
      Hisense K720 : TV Edge LED Ultra HD incurvée, Smart TV, HEVC, SMR 800 | HDfever
      Deux tests TV UHD abordables en préparation : Samsung JU6800 et Hisense K720 | HDfever
      Forum HDfever - Consulter le sujet - Hisense K720 : TV Full LED Ultra HD incurvée, Local Dimming, Smart TV, HEVC
      «Hisense Ultra HD TV ULED Courbe 55/65K720 compatibles VP9» sur le forum «Ecrans UHD (4K)» du site Homecinema-fr.com - 30059878 - 1427
      小熊在线 - 外设数码 - ULED+4K+120Hz 海信LED65K720UC开箱
      Hisense 55K720 TV con pantalla curva UltraHD

Some review info (loads in here):
      曲面就是爽!海信65寸4K曲面电视开箱图赏-海信,65寸,4K,曲面电视,图赏-驱动之家
      曲面屏很爽!海信65寸4K电视K720U评测-海信,K720U,4K,曲面电视,评测-驱动之家
      ULED与VIDAA结合!海信K720U电视评测_专业评测_太平洋电脑网PConline
      小熊在线 - 移动设备 - 软硬兼备:海信LED65K720UC硬件评测

A Chinese sales page:
      Hisense/海信 LED65K720UC 65吋曲面4K超清ULED智能液晶电视-tmall.com天猫

There's plenty of info in the above threads for anyone looking :)

To recap some of the stuff from the thread is below.

Current shipping firmware version for the 65K720 is 0721 and F1128 is available below (for the 65 inch only!!):

Download here MEGA

Do not use this for the 55 inch!

Uncompress the file first with WinRAR or 7zip and copy the file to the top level folder of a USB stick which is formatted as FAT32 - exFAT will not work.

Eject the drive from Windows and then insert into USB 1 on the TV when powered off.

Hold the power button on the remote for 5 seconds and it should start to upgrade the firmware. If it hangs the first time around you may need to repeat the process - wait at least 15 minutes the first time around before retrying.

Once successful reset the TV back to default settings to ensure you're at a clear baseline.

There are bugs in the built in media player which crashes randomly - this is improved with F1128 but aspect ratios are still wrong.
      Built in Youtube is only 720p.
      Nvidia Shield TV will have washed out blacks unless you upgrade to U3 / Marshmallow and set RGB Full.

Here are some settings that work well for me on my 65K720 using @scottthehat's settings from the 910 as a base and I've tweaked slightly for my K720 (the green settings are higher)

Picture Mode: Standard (you may want Theatre for Bluray)
      Brightness: 49
      Contrast: 44
      Colour: 50
      Local Dimming: On
      Backlight: 50

Advanced Picture Settings:
      Tint: 0
      Sharpness: 0 (SD works better around 3 IMHO but set to taste)

Noise reduction: off
      Adaptive contrast: off
      Color temp: warm

White Balance:
      2 point
      R-offset 0
      G-offset 0
      B-offset 0
      R-Gain -2
      G-Gain 0
      B-Gain 6

10 point
      Level 100%
      R: 0
      G: 0
      B: 0

90%
      R: -2
      B: 2

80%

70%
      B: 4

60%
      R: -1
      B: 7

50%

40%
      B: 8

30%
      R: 4
      B: 6

20%
      R: 1

10%

Colour tuner
      Red
      Hue: 3
      Saturation: 0
      Brightness: 1

Green
      Hue: 0
      Brightness: 0

Blue

Yellow

Cyan

Magenta
      Saturation: -2

Flesh tones
      Saturation: -1

Here are settings from @samsungderby:

Picture Mode: Theater
      Brightness: 48
      Contrast: 40
      Colour:46
      Tint:0
      Sharpness: 4
      Ultra Smooth Motion: Off
      Noise reduction: Off
      Adaptive Contrast: Off
      Colour Temperature: Warm
      White Balance: 2 Point
      R-Offset: +3
      G-Offset: +3
      B-Offset: -5
      R-Gain: -5
      G-Gain: -3
      B-Gain: -8
      Colour Tuner:
      Red: H-0 S-1 B+1
      Green: H-0 S-2 B+1
      Blue: H-1 S-3 B-0
      Yellow: H-1 S-1 B-0
      Cyan: H-0 S-2 B+1
      Magenta: H-0 S-3 B+1
      Backlight: 30-40 (depending on your room light levels)
      Local Dimming on
      Aspect ratio : Direct
      If you want to get 5.1 sound from the tv to your amp, use the optical out as ARC doesnt work on the HDMI 2.0 inputs

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    2. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,017
      Any particular reason in going for this over the flat K700?? I say that because the 65" was available for £999 from JL with 5yr warranty and it is virtually the same tv - perhaps even better if the spec sheets are to be believed.

3. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      The flat K700 is edge lit I believe whereas the curved one is direct lit with 85 zones.

The curved one doesn't have 3D but it's not something I'm really into anyway - the 5 year warranty would be a bonus but I may just ask Amazon if I can pay for the Squaretrade warranty.

Saying that these days you have some coverage via the consumer rights act that kicked in from the start of October albeit you'd have to fight for that.

4. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      Here's the response from Hisense - the curved K720 is definitely direct lit and the flat K700 is edge lit from what they say

"The 65K720 is 120Hz curved screen with direct led lighting, not 3d. We have not been given the panel spec for the 65K700, however it is an edge lit flat screen with 3D."

Mine has shipped from Amazon and should be here start of next week

5. dj

dj

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17
      I have ordered the K700 due to the price match, although the 55 inch K720 on offer at AO looks to be a steal.

The extra cost for the 65K720 over the K700 was in my mind not worth the jump, but those who have purchased on the Amazon lightning deal again looks a great price.

I personally am no fussed with the 3d element of the TV, my current TV supports 3d and it has never been used.

I look forward to seeing what you think of the K720, my K700 is not due for delivery until next Friday.

6. aydin

aydin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      guys this is getting confusion.
      whats the difference between
      Hisense 58K700 LED at jl and the
      Hisense HE58KEC730 at a.o
      both are 58 inc.

7. daleski75

daleski75

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +142
      I am debating about selling my fantastic Panasonic TX-P50TG50B to get one of these as it fits in exactly where my wall bracket is and enough gap for the sound bar to stay put as well.

8. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I'm guessing some here must already have one of these - mine is showing as delivery tomorrow but I haven't had a call yet to arrange. I'm supposed to be 100 miles away buying beer festival tickets so may have to push back delivery :(

9. trending1950

trending1950

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      I can't seem to find out how many zones the 55" version has, I'll update if I find anything

10. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      85 zones on the 65" (17x5) and 78 on the 55" (13x6) :)

I'm guessing at the grid size but that sounds about right

11. trending1950

trending1950

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      thanks the hdfever site says 75 zones with hdmi2.0a ports with hdr firmware coming. The price point of this for a 55 inch FALD with good reviews so far is amazing - the blacks are actually really black - check the images in the review from the mydriver site: 曲面屏很爽!海信65寸4K电视K720U评测-海信,K720U,4K,曲面电视,评测-驱动之家

not sure I can say no at £669 delivered for a 55", have been looking at much more expensive options for months but I don't feel the need for more than this. If I order I'll do a mini-review.

12. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,017
      I guess most of the the fun is making sense of all the specs - I say that as somebody who has just bought a 55" and feel that no matter what I am not really too bothered about the specs moving forward as long as it performs and does me for the next 9-12 months I really couldn't give a toss. However Hisense are making a splash largely based on having better products (on paper) than the competitors.

So for those who have bought the top of the range model and those who have bought this as a future investment it is quite annoying that Hisense don't seem to know their arse from their elbow - but the important thing to factor in is that all these 2015 tv's have been a massive punt. Truth be told 90% of 4K purchases will come up short next year ... imho.

Perhaps Hisense have actually done the ultimate marketing trick of promising the world (at trade shows and in the press) and delivering only partly when it comes to their retail products - the actual spec sheets don't make any of these claims ... so you are pretty much buying via hearsay.

13. trending1950

trending1950

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      it's just amazing to have regional light control (direct backlit local dimming not edge lit) at this price. Hisense's tv's are been received very well in general.

14. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,017
      I don't doubt that my main point is that don't believe what you you read in press releases and see at trade shows - the product actually released may not have the same spec as you were led to believe. As I say Hisense UK don't make any outlandish claims and play their cards pretty close to their chest on their official spec page.

This is a well known ploy by Chinese companies though - promise the moon months before anybody else then deliver something far removed from that once it is released ... the fact that Hisense employees don't seem to know what they are selling shows that this may be the case in this instance.

15. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      Yeha HDFever says both 78 and 75 for the 55 so which it is I'm not sure - the 65 is easy as it's in the video :)

Anyway I now own a cardboard box!

20151205_125939.jpg

Unfortunately I don't currently know when I'll get chance to open it as I'm headed North for the weekend and it's going to kill me knowing this is sitting there waiting!

16. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,017
      Well mine turned up today and decided that it would be no bother unboxing and assembling a 55" LCD - it wasn't but removing my 55" VT50 plasma and then placing the Hisense on the tv unit was slightly trickier - I waddled into place somehow forgetting that my htpc and subwoofer were on the floor, couple of crash bang and wallops later and the Hisense was somehow on the tv unit and I was none the worse for taking a header ...

I have only had a couple of hours with this but it really looks like Hisense have pulled a massive rabbit out the hat with this TV.

Blacks are inky black - the local dimming on this tv really does work absolute wonders.
      720p, 1080p Blu-ray and Freeview HD are far better than I was expecting - so even if you don't plan on making the jump to 4K you are still getting a great TV.
      Man this is bright - when I put the tv on the pc input I was faced with a blinding white page of this forum and it was like somebody shining a torch in my eyeball after just awaking from a drunken stupor.
      Audio - this tv has the best built in audio I have heard from any tv I have owned. If you were planning to purchase a cheap soundbar to go with this then forget it you won't need it.
      The curve - on normal tv viewing it takes about 30 minutes for me to not even notice it. For computer use it gives a fish-eye lens effect which might take a bit of getting used to.

Other things to note:
      Film Grain/Noise - this tv is pretty unforgiving with this as it seems to enhance it no matter the settings ... my 1080p rip of the movie 300 looked pretty rough.
      Tiny bit of light bleed at the top right corner but pretty good.
      4K and motion - playing the 4K film Into the Cave of Wonders is a mixture of jaw-dropping and head scratching, obvious banding on the dark scenes and poor motion on the panning shots. It could just be that my HTPC with HD4400 integrated graphics simply isn't up to the job of playing 4k back smoothly. I will need to investigate further.
      This TV almost seems to have a plasma quality to it - I can't quite put my finger on it but it does have that sort of look to me with most content.

When you consider the price of £669 I doubt you are going to get a better mid-range TV.
      Big shout out to Ao.com who delivered on schedule with friendly customer service and to the delivery driver (Gary) who single handedly carried it up 3 flights of stairs ... I wouldn't be messing with him on a Friday night.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    17. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +202
      Does this have freesat built in?
      I struggle to find any mention online, but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't.

18. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I started to panic at first when I turned mine on as there was blooming everywhere - for whatever reason the setup wizard triggers it really badly and as soon as you're complete things drop to a much nicer black! The media player window does the same though and seems to send local dimming into a headspin.

The inbuilt media player on these is garbage as things stand on firmware v00.01.00a.f0721 - it's played all the Samsung and LG 4k demos I've thrown at it although it did sometimes stutter even on ethernet but come to 1080P MKV files and you'll be lucky to make it past the credits without it freezing the video - if you're lucky you'll get a bit of audio playing away but the video will either disappear or just turn into thousands of blocks. Maybe I've got a bad set.

Inbuilt Netflix seems fine so looks like they've got plenty of work to improve the Media app. 4k is awesome if not on the noisy side but I think that's the same on all sets.

The Plex app (2.4.36) seems to be having serious problems but maybe it could just be the current version is having issues. I'm on the latest Plex Pass version of the server but you get lots of errors saying the video did not start playing in time which become massively amplified if you enable DD AC3 and DTS in the Plex app. In the Plex app itself the video processing looks awful - drop out into the Media app and play the same file via Plex's own DLNA server and it looks massively improved.

It's as though the video is being transcoded via the Plex app even though it's set for Direct Play. Weird. Potentially needs a profile creating in Plex.

Moral of that story is that for now you'll be wanting an external device to playback your content.

With the standard picture modes there is some banding and DSE I've noticed with some sources - everything I've read suggests the Hisense needs tweaking to get the most out of it so it will take some time.

Onto the good stuff though - I've tried loads of 4K demos from Samsung and LG which are available online and they look awesome. I've seen some of them many times over the last few weeks in various stores but this is as good as any other sets I've seen. Even the Samsung SUHD demos and LG OLED demos look good! Those marketing guys are good!

As for Freesat it does have DVB-T and DVB-S built in so you can get Freeview or Freesat.

19. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      OK Plex is definitely transcoding as you can see it in the logs it's capping at 4.5Mbps even though it's configured for original and direct play / stream are both enabled. Time for a look at the profiles :)

20. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,017
      Yes when you restart the tv you can see that local dimming isn't enabled and it shows light bleed/blooming grey blacks before quickly kicking into the stored settings.

I haven't used the smart side of things yet (haven't even got an ethernet cable plugged in) but I plan to test a few 4k demos using the media player just as soon as the 4k football demo finishes downloading ... can you choose which picture mode you want to use during playback??

21. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
    22. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      Yes you can change it as normal during playback in the media app - I watched a bit of the FA Cup draw earlier on BT Sports 2 in HD and it looked pretty good - I'll have to download that as well :)

23. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,017
      That's good - should have something to test shortly. What picture mode are you using and what is your backlight set at??

24. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      That Barca clip looked awesome!

I've currently got the set in Theatre mode with the backlight at 25 :)

25. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,373
      I wonder if this suffers from the same problems the XT910 does in theatre mode? Skyfall at 46 mins 30 secs will show it up if it does, theatre mode really noisy and banding on the door, standard mode clean, would be interesting to find out...

26. trending1950

trending1950

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      and does it have HDCP 2.2 I wonder

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    27. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      I've only got a 13GB MKV of Skyfall and to be honest it doesn't look that bad in Theatre mode - I'll try the same file on the PJ but here are my results.

Theatre ISO 200
      theatre-200.jpg

Theatre ISO 400
      theatre-400.jpg

Theatre ISO 800
      theatre-800.jpg

Theatre ISO 800 w/menu
      theatre-menu-800.jpg

Natural ISO 800 w/menu
      natural-menu-800.jpg

Dynamic ISO 800 w/menu
      dynamic-menu-800.jpg

The Theatre mode looks better to me than the other mode - these were just taken with my S6 camera

@ zAndy1 - what did you use as a media player for this as the builtin one is broken on these? It won't seem to respect aspect ratios either.

28. trending1950

trending1950

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      Inky black? I'm an optimist but are they? I'm so mixed up as to what TV to choose - it's K720 (£669) vs OLED 1080p 930v (£1309 with £200 free to spend at rakuten + £60 quid cashback)

4K will come into it's own next year and the 1080p OLED will look a bad purchase, any advice? if those blacks are that good I'll order the K720 thanks

29. trending1950

trending1950

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +191
      Theatre 400 looks best just on the pics, thanks

30. aido

aido

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,486
      Just for reference these were Andy's pictures from the 910:

Standard mode:
      [​IMG]

Threatre mode:
      [​IMG]

You can't really directly compare due to different cameras and settings so hopefully clarkyb can give us first hand details of how they both compare :)