Hisense 55(65)Q7809 QLED Thread

Emmsys

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I can't find any threads on this new panel from Hisense so I figured I would start a thread since I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. I picked up the 55Q7809 (55 inch) from Walmart (with employee discount) but they also have the 65 inch version. I will give my thoughts about this new panel below but it's best to know where I am coming from. I've been out of the loop of the latest home theater trends since I got my LG 50PV450 in 2011. I loved plasma at the time because of the color reproduction despite LGs having less than stellar black levels. I never really set up a "true" home theater room. This Hisense is replacing the LG in our main-floor family room (mini-living room). I never had a single issue with the LG and it still works perfectly well, especially using an Amazon Fire stick. My dream is still a home theater room with some kind of LG OLED.

So, having said all that, here are my impressions of the Hisense after having it for a couple of weeks.

Absolute first initial impressions when taking it out of the box:
  • Weighs significantly less than the ol'plasma TV
  • Very thin border around the panel (This 55" panel is almost the same dimensions as the 50" plasma because the plasma had a very thick border)
  • The TV gets pretty thick where you need to plug in the power cable, HDMI connections etc. I imagine there are much thinner panels out there
  • Remote is small with only a few buttons and a 4-way pad that does not have enough depth to easily know which button you are pressing. I got used to it now but I would press the wrong directional-button or hit the Home button by mistake. Not the best remote control.
  • My TV is not on a wall so the base itself work well. The feet have a small rubber padding but I find it's almost too "plasticky". I put some felt pads underneath to avoid scratching the glass top that it is sitting on.

The Hisense runs on AndroidTV 8.0.0 which is pretty cool coming from a "dumb" LG plasma. Similar feel to Amazon's Fire TV. The menus are pretty responsive and the apps load in a few seconds. Not instant-loading, but not unbearable either. Connecting to my Wifi network (5GHz or 2.4GHz) is straightforward. There are tons of picture settings from basic modes to very fine configuration of color settings for the calibrators in the house.

Issues experienced:
  • Wifi-Internet connectivity issues were happening where the TV showed Wifi was connected but no Internet detected. This would only happen when power-on the TV. I would need to just turn off Wifi, then re-enable it to fix it. It hasn't happened in the second week. Strange. Also do a "real" power off instead of a standby power off fixes it as well.

Now for the important stuff, picture quality. Aside from choosing "Home" instead of "Store" mode, I haven't played with the color settings yet. I find the HDR/Dolby Vision feeds from Netflix, Disney+ and Youtube are freakin' beautiful. Clearly the contrast is much better than my old plasma. Now black is a nice inky black while all of the other colors pop nicely without blooming. I haven't been this excited to watch TV since the first Blurays came out. I imagine I will need to adjust the colors once I run some calibration stuff but even as is, I think it looks spectacular. However, for 1080p or lower viewing (like Bell FibeTV) I will definitely need to adjust the settings. Red is blooming, skin tones are reddish and every other color feels too punchy. It doesn't look like the TV has separate settings for HDR/Vision and 1080p viewing so I will see if adjusting the colors for 1080p stuff impacts 4K.

I find Netflix has the best quality, and the most 4K/60fps movies. Actually, I haven't viewed a 4K/60fps movie on Disney+ yet. At 60fps, I find there's the (very) occasional framerate stutter when scenes pan really fast but you will have to tell me if it's just because it's a cheap TV or if it is the source material. Honestly, I only notice it because I am picky. My wife doesn't notice it at all.

Here's the biggest downfall compared to my old plasma: viewing angle. I am lucky that viewing angle is not a problem (for all but 1 sofa seat) but you really have a small window in front of the TV to get the best colors/contrast. Same for the vertical axis. I would be curious how this looks if it was sitting higher on the wall instead of a HT unit but for those used to a plasma TV, be wary of the huge loss of color fidelity because of the viewing angle on this QLED.

The TV supports Alexa and talking into the remove control but I never tried these features yet. For now sound is being output through the optical out of the TV to a DAC, then to a Marantz M-CR612. Nothing fancy but the DAC really improves stereo sound quality.

Oh and for now I've been gaming with a PS Classic (couldn't resist picking one up for $36 CAD) and it runs well. Will eventually get back to my PS4 once I am out of this retro-gaming phase. There might be the slightest of motion blur when playing video games or watching hockey, but it's nothing like LCD TVs of the past. I tried adjusting some of the motion-related settings but I like how it was by default ("normal") and it runs fine.

TLDR; Really amazing picture quality with deep inky blacks and incredible contrast (especially compared to LG plasma), cheap remote, poor (but useable) viewing angle compared to plasma, slightly glitchy Wifi in the first week. Consider the price I paid, it's a massive upgrade from my LG plasma (which says a lot to me since the LG still looks great!).

I will keep updating this thread with new things that I discover or experiment with.

Emmsys

Last edited:
Great overview, thanks! I picked up one on boxing day, and generally I'm really impressed, especially since I'm coming from a 2010 plasma Panasonic. One thing I've run into periodically is some of the streaming apps (Netflix and disney+) will have playback issues (black screen, videos not playing), but they seem to resolve themselves.

One slightly more annoying issue is the lack of Prime Video through the app store. I've sideloaded it but the interface isn't particularly good.

All in all, for just under 500, I'm really happy with my purchase!

Cool! Finally another Q7809 owner :smashin:! The intermitten Wifi connectivity issues seems to have disappeared ever since I rebooted my Bell modem. My friend has been having wifi issues with his new LG OLED and when we both rebooted our modems, it seemed to fix the issue for both of us:confused:

I initially had Disney+ playback issues but ever since they updated the app it has been working perfectly. Netflix usually gets stuck at 99% buffering if I hit the Home button while streaming, then go back to starting the playback. I would need to load another movie (non 4K!) then go back to the original movie I was watching.

I recently learned some shortcuts like pressing the TV button on the remote switches inputs (instead of having to go to the input menu from the Home page). I still haven’t changed any picture/color settings since the defaults still look great. You can save the settings per input which is cool.

I find Youtube has some of the best quality streaming. Some of those 4K HDR demos are incredible.

I downloaded a browser for fun and it actually works well with my Bluetooth keyboard. I don’t intend to browse much but it’s there and useable.

Anyway, I am still really happy with the Hisense and glad I picked it up! Definitely worth the price so far!

emmsys

Hi,

It’s been a few weeks that I have this TV and I now notice either image retention or horizontal banding (Most likely the latter). It’s noticeable when the image has grey or sky blue colors. There are a few horizontal bars about 2 inches thick where the shade of color is slightly brighter than the rest of the image. For example the Youtube app has some grey in its background and I can see the bars.There doesn’t seem to be any image retention pixel-shifter option.

Does anyone else have any banding issues?

e

Folks,

I just ordered a 55Q7809 from Costco and the delivery date is over 2 weeks out. One thing I forgot to verify before ordering was whether this model has Chromecast built-in like the 55H78G (2020) model. I understand the Q7809 might not have shipped with Chromecast built-in, but I'm hoping it was at least added via a firmware update post-release. If any owner can chime in, I would really appreciate it!

Hi,

It’s been a few weeks that I have this TV and I now notice either image retention or horizontal banding (Most likely the latter). It’s noticeable when the image has grey or sky blue colors. There are a few horizontal bars about 2 inches thick where the shade of color is slightly brighter than the rest of the image. For example the Youtube app has some grey in its background and I can see the bars.There doesn’t seem to be any image retention pixel-shifter option.

Does anyone else have any banding issues?

e

FWIW, there are certain greys (e.g. in the YouTube app) that even the display on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ shows a noticeable horizontal banding effect, so I've just accepted it because those YouTube screens are few and far between and if the best display on the market is not immune to it, I'm not going to worry about it and just accept that I'm still in the 99th percentile when it comes to display image quality.

Folks,

I just ordered a 55Q7809 from Costco and the delivery date is over 2 weeks out. One thing I forgot to verify before ordering was whether this model has Chromecast built-in like the 55H78G (2020) model. I understand the Q7809 might not have shipped with Chromecast built-in, but I'm hoping it was at least added via a firmware update post-release. If any owner can chime in, I would really appreciate it!

Hi,

I bought mine last year and it always showed Chromecast built-in (in on the screen saver pictures).

I just tried the Google Home App on my iPhone XR and it found the TV. However when I try casting YouTube (or use another Chromecast app to cast pics) they both show “connected”, the Hisenee screen goes blank then after a few seconds returns to the Home page.
I have never used Chromecast before so I might be doing some wrong. The Hisense Settings screen shows a “Google Cast” option, which then shows Chromecast built-in, version and serial number as well as links to open source licenses.

So all this to say, my TV from November 2019 has it built-in but I might be doing something wrong to get it working.

Also regarding the banding, it is so minimal I have to try hard to notice it. After 7 months of owning this TV I am still floored by the colours it’s like I am still on the honeymoon phase with it.
I did get a system update a few months ago and some Apps (like Disney+) have been updated a couple of times already so it’s good to see it being supported.

e

Hi,

I bought mine last year and it always showed Chromecast built-in (in on the screen saver pictures).

I just tried the Google Home App on my iPhone XR and it found the TV. However when I try casting YouTube (or use another Chromecast app to cast pics) they both show “connected”, the Hisenee screen goes blank then after a few seconds returns to the Home page.
I have never used Chromecast before so I might be doing some wrong. The Hisense Settings screen shows a “Google Cast” option, which then shows Chromecast built-in, version and serial number as well as links to open source licenses.

So all this to say, my TV from November 2019 has it built-in but I might be doing something wrong to get it working.

Also regarding the banding, it is so minimal I have to try hard to notice it. After 7 months of owning this TV I am still floored by the colours it’s like I am still on the honeymoon phase with it.
I did get a system update a few months ago and some Apps (like Disney+) have been updated a couple of times already so it’s good to see it being supported.

e

Thanks so much for the prompt and detailed reply. I read somewhere that some sort of reboot or reset was needed to get the Chromecast to work. I called tech support but they were hardly the product experts I was hoping them to be. The dude just read the specs on the website and said the feature wasn't there because it wasn't listed.

Do chime in again if you discover how to make it work or if it just starts working for you.

I really want this to work as I'm loathe to get the 55H78G instead as it is U-G-L-Y compared to not just this one, but any TV I've seen so far.

Thanks so much for the prompt and detailed reply. I read somewhere that some sort of reboot or reset was needed to get the Chromecast to work. I called tech support but they were hardly the product experts I was hoping them to be. The dude just read the specs on the website and said the feature wasn't there because it wasn't listed.

Do chime in again if you discover how to make it work or if it just starts working for you.

I really want this to work as I'm loathe to get the 55H78G instead as it is U-G-L-Y compared to not just this one, but any TV I've seen so far.

SUCCESS! A reboot fixed it (restarted the TV from the “About” menu. Google Home app was able to cast music (Google Play) and the separate Chromecast app was able to display my iPhones pics and videos. So I can confirm it works! Thanks for the reboot tip!

e

SUCCESS! A reboot fixed it (restarted the TV from the “About” menu. Google Home app was able to cast music (Google Play) and the separate Chromecast app was able to display my iPhones pics and videos. So I can confirm it works! Thanks for the reboot tip!

e

Awesome! Glad I could help! If I can ask you for a favor, would you be able to upload a pic of the remote control? Also, have you tried pairing Bluetooth headphones with the TV, and if so, did you experience any lag in the audio? Lastly, have you tried using a Logitech keyboard with a unifying receiver with the TV, by any chance? Lastly #2, have you tried playing video files (Avi, mp4, mkv, etc) from a USB Flash drive or a USB hard drive and did you experience any issues? Oh, lastly #3, have you tried it out as a 4k PC monitor, and if so, how is the crispness of the general UI (i.e. was there any blurriness in the static elements that shouldn't be there?)

Thanks in advance!

No problem! I feel this TV is a hidden gem so the more people that experience (and enjoy it!) the better!

-If I can ask you for a favor, would you be able to upload a pic of the remote control?

Attached an image I found online. The remote is serviceable but not the best out there.

-Also, have you tried pairing Bluetooth headphones with the TV, and if so, did you experience any lag in the audio?

Yup and I noticed lag when playing on my Playstation Classic or SNES Classic (for example opening up a menu and choosing something would result in the sound noticeably late). But not really when watching a movie. I don't remember noticing lag when playing a PS4 but it could just be the type of game I was playing.

-Lastly, have you tried using a Logitech keyboard with a unifying receiver with the TV, by any chance?
No but I do have a Bluetooth keyboard paired and it works perfectly.

-Lastly #2, have you tried playing video files (Avi, mp4, mkv, etc) from a USB Flash drive or a USB hard drive and did you experience any issues?

No but a video casted from my iPhone worked (not related but that's as far as I have tested hehe).

-Oh, lastly #3, have you tried it out as a 4k PC monitor, and if so, how is the crispness of the general UI (i.e. was there any blurriness in the static elements that shouldn't be there?)

Just tried now with my work laptop and looks freakin' stunning! No blurred menus or text or anything at all!

remote.jpg

-Also, have you tried pairing Bluetooth headphones with the TV, and if so, did you experience any lag in the audio?

Yup and I noticed lag when playing on my Playstation Classic or SNES Classic (for example opening up a menu and choosing something would result in the sound noticeably late). But not really when watching a movie. I don't remember noticing lag when playing a PS4 but it could just be the type of game I was playing.

-Lastly, have you tried using a Logitech keyboard with a unifying receiver with the TV, by any chance?
No but I do have a Bluetooth keyboard paired and it works perfectly.

-Oh, lastly #3, have you tried it out as a 4k PC monitor, and if so, how is the crispness of the general UI (i.e. was there any blurriness in the static elements that shouldn't be there?)

Just tried now with my work laptop and looks freakin' stunning! No blurred menus or text or anything at all!

Thanks so much for the replies and sorry for the delayed response. As you might have guessed, my TV arrived and I was busy setting it up, testing it and just plain enjoying it!

I did have 2 concerns, and I wanted to ask you about your experience with this one in particular:

When pairing your bluetooth headphones/etc to the TV, how was the volume? I paired both my Samsung Galaxy Buds+ and over-the-ear TaoTronics headphones and I had to turn up the volume to 30 and 50, respectively, to even be able to hear the audio. It wasn't (nearly) the immersive audio experience I had hoped for (and supposedly invested in), and I hope it's just something I am doing wrong. To top it off, the volume levels for bluetooth and the built-in speakers aren't separate, so as soon as I disconnected the bluetooth headphones and the audio switched back to the TV, it was WAY too loud.

And for the benefit of anyone else wondering, I used my Logitech K400 wireless USB keyboard (with a unifying receiver) with the TV just fine.... almost... There was a time where it was not registering the letter "a" and the backspace key wasn't registering at all. Then later, it wasn't behaving that way at all.

I am going to try playing those various video files via USB this week, once I get my favorite shows loaded on, etc.

Hi,
Thanks so much for the replies and sorry for the delayed response. As you might have guessed, my TV arrived and I was busy setting it up, testing it and just plain enjoying it!

I did have 2 concerns, and I wanted to ask you about your experience with this one in particular:

When pairing your bluetooth headphones/etc to the TV, how was the volume? I paired both my Samsung Galaxy Buds+ and over-the-ear TaoTronics headphones and I had to turn up the volume to 30 and 50, respectively, to even be able to hear the audio. It wasn't (nearly) the immersive audio experience I had hoped for (and supposedly invested in), and I hope it's just something I am doing wrong. To top it off, the volume levels for bluetooth and the built-in speakers aren't separate, so as soon as I disconnected the bluetooth headphones and the audio switched back to the TV, it was WAY too loud.

And for the benefit of anyone else wondering, I used my Logitech K400 wireless USB keyboard (with a unifying receiver) with the TV just fine.... almost... There was a time where it was not registering the letter "a" and the backspace key wasn't registering at all. Then later, it wasn't behaving that way at all.

I am going to try playing those various video files via USB this week, once I get my favorite shows loaded on, etc.

Hi,

My setup is slightly different in that I have the Hisense's optical out going into a DAC, and the DAC's analog out going into the analog input of a Marantz M-CR611. I disabled the built-in speakers of the Hisense. As for Bluetooth headsets, I tested 2 of them for the exact reason you state: low volume. I have a work headset (Jabra) and I had to put the volume up to 90 to get any usable sound. However when I use my Sony WF-1000XM3, I only need to bring up to volume to 30 or less. I guess it depends on the headset/Hisense combo. Because my internal speakers are disabled, I don't get the volume jump since the Marantz manages the volume separately. Hope this helps!

Have you played with any picture settings? I never felt the need to adjust colors so far.

e

Hi,

Hi,

My setup is slightly different in that I have the Hisense's optical out going into a DAC, and the DAC's analog out going into the analog input of a Marantz M-CR611. I disabled the built-in speakers of the Hisense. As for Bluetooth headsets, I tested 2 of them for the exact reason you state: low volume. I have a work headset (Jabra) and I had to put the volume up to 90 to get any usable sound. However when I use my Sony WF-1000XM3, I only need to bring up to volume to 30 or less. I guess it depends on the headset/Hisense combo. Because my internal speakers are disabled, I don't get the volume jump since the Marantz manages the volume separately. Hope this helps!

Have you played with any picture settings? I never felt the need to adjust colors so far.

e

Hi!

Sorry for the delayed reply again. I haven't actually played with the picture settings apart from trying out the different preset modes (I settled on "Vivid" for now.) I am a little colour-blind, so most settings will look "fine" to me, even if they appear a bit too saturated on any side to many others.

Your audio setup sounds pretty cool!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom