Question HiSense 50M3300 or 50M5500 or ???

woodyuk75

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need a new bedroom TV and just about to buy the 50M3300 which seems a crazy good price for what you get. Reading the total thread on the M3300 on the main forum- people seem really happy with it so is it really worth spending any more ?

The space can only fit a max of 50" and there is an old Samsung M87 40" (2007 I think I bought it) -
i assume i am going to see a massive jump in quality.

I will be using either the inbuilt Freeview HD or my Humax YouView box with an aerial. I also have a PS4 with HDR update and will update to PS4 Pro. Also have an AppleTV 4.0 using InFuse which is for everything else.

How bad is normal SD TV going to be a 4K screen ? worse than i have now on my Samsung M87 ?

Does anyone know the difference between the M3300 and M5500 models, from what i can find only seems to be PVR ? and the 5500 seems not available much. Is this a good choice or should i really spend a bit more money and get a Samsung / Sony / LG ?

Thanks

Hope you get some replies, I'm on the market for a 49/50 inch TV and the 5500 caught my eye from a price point perspective.

SD TV will look worse than your old Samsung (I actually own the M86) on a UHD TV.

You may be better off going for a 1080p OLED like the LG 910v.

If you're gonna watch/play more UHD/HDR content and sit close enough to the screen to see the resolution difference from 1080p then its fine going for UHD in my opinion, a waste if not.

Having said that good 1080p LCD's cheaper than the OLEDs are few and far between. I can think of a couple that are decent from last year in the curved Samsung J6300 and Sony w8/7 series but thats about it.

As for the Hisense models, your guess is as good as mine, can't see any reviews anywhere, not sure why but I heard this forum has been trying to get hold of a model to review but received no reply, not sure how much truth is behind that. I guess its up to you whether to purchase a tv based on user reviews compared to professional.

Thanks for posting up that review - so I think for the money going to grab a 50M5500, its only a bedroom TV and a steel at that price. Will provide some feedback once I get it.

Thanks for posting up that review - so I think for the money going to grab a 50M5500, its only a bedroom TV and a steel at that price. Will provide some feedback once I get it.

Did you buy the 50M5500 in the end then? Been looking at this myself so would be great to know your thoughts if you got it?

Hi

Sadly, no - I finally had a play with one in Brightstore - and found the picture really bad. I put it on an HD source, played with the settings, but really just felt cheap. Compared to a Samsung 49KS7000 it just looked rubbish.

So, I went to pick up a Samsung 49KS7000 on Black Friday from Richie Sounds, but was talked out of it by the sales guy due to the number of returns due to people moaning about motion issues. Apparently, you need to go up to the KS8000 to fix that and I was not willing to drop £1299.

So ended up playing with a Pansonic 49DX750 in the store, and was really really impressed. So took it home! :) £799! 48 hours in and its the best TV i have ever owned, but i was coming from a Samsung M87 (2008) - 4K from Netflix and Amazon is amazing, SD and HD both look great to me. My ONLY two moans are the DX750 only has 1 Freeview receiver so you cannot watch and record anything else, but i have a YouView box so not end of the world. The remote also feels cheap, but apart from that its a great TV and very happy. I spent weeks reading threads on here, reviews, researching - so happy with how things ended up.

Hi

Sadly, no - I finally had a play with one in Brightstore - and found the picture really bad. I put it on an HD source, played with the settings, but really just felt cheap. Compared to a Samsung 49KS7000 it just looked rubbish.

So, I went to pick up a Samsung 49KS7000 on Black Friday from Richie Sounds, but was talked out of it by the sales guy due to the number of returns due to people moaning about motion issues. Apparently, you need to go up to the KS8000 to fix that and I was not willing to drop £1299.

So ended up playing with a Pansonic 49DX750 in the store, and was really really impressed. So took it home! :) £799! 48 hours in and its the best TV i have ever owned, but i was coming from a Samsung M87 (2008) - 4K from Netflix and Amazon is amazing, SD and HD both look great to me. My ONLY two moans are the DX750 only has 1 Freeview receiver so you cannot watch and record anything else, but i have a YouView box so not end of the world. The remote also feels cheap, but apart from that its a great TV and very happy. I spent weeks reading threads on here, reviews, researching - so happy with how things ended up.
You should have gone for the 780 or 802 then maybe. Both have two tuners.

Agreed on this point - as I had done very little research on Pansonic did not realise that the slightly better models had 2 tuners. Richie sounds / JL doesn't seem to sell the 780, and the 802 has that stupid stand design.

Slight sidetrack here, but this tuner discussion got me wondering... I'm coming from an older Samsung with no recording ability, so I'm curious how this works on a TV with two or more tuners? Do you need any external device such as USB? Does it only work with Freeview signal coming in on the TV? I have a non-Tivo (basic) Virgin box on TV downstairs, so can that be recorded, or would it only be on stations picked up directly by the TV?

It only works with the TV guide
You plug in a flash drive or USB HDD
You can record and watch another at the same time

Annoyingly though it doesn't integrate with any of the smart TV guide so if you use the Freeview play guide you have to exit it's app and use the TV manufactures own guide to set recordings etc

You can't record external sources afaik. Only from TV tuner.

Just in case anyone else who is looking to find out the difference between the Hisense M3300 and the M5500 (like I was) and finds this thread I think the main is that the 5500 has HDR and the 3300 does not.

I was seriously considering the M3300 due to the price point until I discovered it didn't have HDR, but as the 5500 with HDR is only £50 cheaper than the Samsung UE49K6400 at JL I think I'll be going with the Samsung.

Having said that, how much difference will having HDR make at this screen size / level of TV?

I own the hisense 50 M3300
And I can confirm while the M3300 doesn't have HDR out the box it does indeed have full HDR functionality after a software update

I have the Xbox One S running in HDR on both UHD bluray and games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom