1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hisense 42" Plasma at Comets - Are they any good ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by midiman, Jan 8, 2005.

1. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Planning to get a 42" plasma within the next week. Nearly bought one from Tiny but due to combination of waiting time for delivery and generel advice on these forums, decided to give it a miss. Tempted by the LG but when I was in Comets the other day I saw a 42" plasma made by Hisense (?). Picture looked very good and am sorley tempted. The specs are

Contrast Ratio 3000:1
    Brightness 1000cd/m2

Full details :- http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_235423.html

Has anybody got one of these or know some background on these? Also what VGA resolution for PC these support?

Thanks

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    it doesn't have component which I'm sure you would want for DVD....good choice to avoid tiny though!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  4. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It dose appear to have component conction - http://www.hisense.com/en/products/tv_plasma_pdp4211_2.htm

Not sure how many scarts it has although I seem to recall seeing 2 on the back of it (not 100% sure)

I have a Bose Surround sound system which keeps me imensly happy :) so dont forsee me requiring a new one in the near future. What attracted me to it was that it had a far superior picture to the LG and was £200 quid cheaper. As far as I can make out its a similar spec as well. Still with 8,841 post's to your name I am not about to dismiss you out of hand ;). Am going to check out the link you provided

Cheers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what bose system? and i have never seen a cheap plasma that is worth the money...... get a proper one or keep the cash in your pocket! LG is £1400 online so only £100 cheaper (also as you have a "BOSE" system why buy a plasma with speakers and a tuner?) connect sky/freeview box into BOSE for sound and to a panel for picture a much less cluttered system and better quality......

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The PX11 definitely betters it on specs, but in the real world that doesn't really matter.

What it does have in it's favour is a DVI-D / HDCP input, that supports all the major resolutions/rates - good for future technologies (HDTV, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray), and can also be put to good use now (some DVD players, scalers, PC). Alternatively, there are DVI (and HDMI) boards for the Panasonics - although the support for input formats is slightly weaker, and as such may not be 'future proof'.

And it is a company that manufactures it's own panels/glass (not merely an assembler), a significant UK presence - generally better prospects for backup if you ever need it. The same is also true - probably even more so - of Panasonic.

There are also people on here that can advise on how to get the best out of the screen (same goes for the Panasonic) - there aren't many with practical experience of the Hisense.

I don't know the conditions under which you demoed the panels, but it isn't that hard to create a situation where the Hisense looks best, and I would be fairly confident that the LG setup could be significantly improved from what you saw. A similar statement could also be made about the Panasonic.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and will be if you want to see it.... LG is better VFM and panny a better but more complex and expensive product

8. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've had a good look through the thread for begginers and perhaps understand a bit more but am also probably no nearer to making a decision.

grahamtriggs as you point out it all depends on the set up in the store. I had origionaly decided on an LG after viewing them in Tottenham Court Rd but had second thoughts when I saw the Tiny Screen whilst Xmas shopping with the misus. To be honest the picture quality looked good to me and if they can set it up like that in the shop, it follows that I should be able to do the same at home. I wasnt too keen on the potential 35 days wait for delivery and was finally disuaded from it totaly when I discoverd this forum. Back to plan A .... the LG. However having taken the misus round both Currys (would never contemplate purchasing from them) & Comets was again put off by the less then convincing quality - slight ghosting in Curry's and letters bleeding in Comets. This was when I had a good look at the Hisense and again think if they can set it up with a good picture in store the so can I at home.

I didnt realise thar the PX11 had a DVI-D input and cerainly is a +point. But does it make a lot difference with the Native resolution set at 852x480. Dosent that mean any higher resoluotions would be done under emulation thus reducing quality rather then improving it? Pardon my ignorance in this as I am new to this . Another thing that concerns me is avliabilty of Wall mounting kits - most dont list it as supported and some specifically say it isnt.

hornydragon, I am very persuaded by your points and what I have read on the Panny's particularly with the current deal at av-sales which includes a scart board AND a Wall mount. Would also consider installing a second terminal board. It seams component is strongly recomended so would consider either the BNC Component/SVHS/Composite Dual Slot Terminal Board or the Component Video BNC. I dont understand why component is better the Scart. Dosent Scart (& SVideo) break the signals down into seperate components as well?

I will be incorporating a Plasma into my current setup which consists of the following:-

Bose Lifestyle 20 5.1 surround sound system
    Sky+
    XBOX

I chipped the XBOX and installed a 120 gig Samsung spinpoint drive (nice & quiet). I have hooked up to the video out a box thar has all the connections you can think of - Component/composite/Svideo/Digital Audio both Co-ax and optical. As such it acts as my DVD player/games machine and DIVX player. It also sounds awsome through the Bose system (connected via co-ax)

If I do go for the Panny, I was thinking of connecting the Sky+ to the scart and the XBOX to the Component. If the LG or Hisense (no I havent discounted it yet) then just using the scarts.

Has anybody bought a Hisense and have first hand knowledge of this? Money is not the issue here but long term I would consider a Hisense with a view to upgrading to a good 50" plasma/LCD in 2-3 years time when they come down in price.

Thanks for all your help to date and look forward to any further feedback you can provide. :thumbsup:

9. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The ghosting you saw was most likely down to the connection / cabling / source used.

Letters bleeding could be connection / source, but quite likely due to the contrast being set very high - ie. if the set was using the default 'dynamic' mode (a high sharpness setting may also play a part).

It downscales to the native resolution, which means that you don't get the full quality that you see on a higher resolution display. But it is still a significant improvement over standard material - go back to TCR and see it for yourself.

Remember, that all digital source currently use compression, so you don't get the full fidelity that standard resolution allows for. HD material increases the amount of data used, improves the compression schemes used, and where the material is progressive scan improves the efficiency of the compression schemes (compared to interlaced material). Despite not having the full benefit of the HD resolution, the downscaled image still has higher fidelity than existing standard resolution material. Also, look at anti-aliasing provided by PC graphics cards - all done by rendering at higher resolution and downscaling.

There are certainly wall mounting kits for the PX11, but I don't have any knowledge in that area. See the large thread on the PX11 that contains more information about this, and I'm sure other owners can help you in this regard.

Why not connect the Xbox to the LG via component? For the Panny, most would say use the JS Tech VGA convertor for Sky+, and component for Xbox.

What would you be prepared to spend on a 50" screen?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    midi man for Panny set-up SKY+ via JS RGB>VGA box (or scart board) Xbox Via component Can add a DVi input to PAnny if you want for PC connections Panny has 3 empty slots into which you put the input boards you require as well as built in VGA port on both theLG and hinese you are paying for an analogue tuner and speakers you do not need (not to mention connections that arent required) the panny the money is all in the panel £1549 for a PWD6 and mount and sacrt board delivered......!!
    Trick with a PWD6 if you like black....... (very sexy not like this cheapo silver stuff) is you can send component into the built in VGA socket so for £1549 you have all you need (less one cable).......sound interesting?

11. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The flipside of the argument - you are still paying for an amp that you don't use on the Panasonic, and having removable terminal boards is potentially much more expensive than providing a number of fixed connections.

Cost wise, there may not be much difference between the two approaches/configurations.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Same Argument find me plasma with no AMP, inputs, no remote, optional IR or RS232 control.......

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes that would be a tall order... but you were still making an argument against one plasma, whilst completely neglecting the parts that equally apply to the other. I'm not making a case one way or the other, just providing some balance.

It would be better to just say that you are paying more for the Panasonic, and therefore probably spending more on the primary role of displaying images, rather than speculating how much various potentially unused components cost.

A removable terminal board is definitely more expensive than having exactly the same input fixed on the display. And the provision of each terminal board slot has a cost. How do you quantify the costs of one approach versus the other? I don't see that you can, or that there is any point in trying to do so.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Perhaps not...... but space costs less than components (panny boards are expensive for what they do £150+ for most boards and £350+ for some........... including these would ppush the cost way way up...

15. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Don't forget that you have to provide additional structural components to actually have the space for something to slot into. And the connector(s) that the terminal board will contact with (if they are proprietary, it can add to the cost), plus the electronics inside the panel associated with being able to select and use whatever terminal boards are inside.

Are you confident that you have accounted for those costs? (And for anything included in a bundle deal, those costs have to be offset against the screen as well.)

16. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very compelling arguments for both screens.

Hornydragon, I was thinking of using the Scart input on the panny for the Sky+ simply because AV Sales supply one free. Would I see a much improved display if I were to go for a JS RGB>VGA box? Isnt the supplied Scart already RGB? Also would I not be better off spending the extra twenty odd quid a get a BNC Component/SVHS/Composite Dual Slot Terminal Board? This would have the added benefit of keeping the VGA connector free should I wish to use a PC as a media center etc..

Grahamtriggs, you asked what I would pay for a 50" Plasma. I'm not sure I would go for one yet. I saw a 50" HD rear projection TV in Comets and was blown away with the picture quality. It was showing fish swinming around and the picture looked so real I wanted to reach out and touch one. I dont think the plasma/LCD's are ready to compete on that yet but may well do in 2-3 years.

errr a bit confused here, How does it make a difference in terms of structural components? What addition costs are we talking about over and above the boards?

To sum up cost isnt the issue and I am definately veering towards the panny. That said, If Iwant somthing I can get going straight out of the box then the LG has it. If I am happy to go cheap then I've yet to be desuaded that the Hisense is not an option (anyone know otherwise) :)

Once again your views have been very enlightning and much appreciated :thumbsup:

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    some think JS box gives better PQ (me included) some dont.... get scart as it free (worth £80-100 secondhand) and see what you think, i think it looks a bit soft and not as cleasn as JS box (graham and i were debating the merits of inclusive and optional terminal arangements not an issue for you)

18. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I think I am beggining to see light at the end of the tunnel :) So if I go for the Panny from AV-Sales

Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX £1549.00 Delivered
    This would include VGA input and a Scart Terminal board

Options are

1 - Add a BNC Component/SVHS/Composite Dual Slot Terminal Board at £141. By virtue of it being a duel slot, does this mean I could connect 2 devices to it at the same time?

2 - Get a JS RGB - VGA converter for £120

3 - Get a SCART Sync Separator from Maplins for £50 (how does this compare to the JS)

4 - Get a Quintro+ RGB Scart Switch Box for £91. Would allow connection of 5 devices to the one RGB scart. Whats the downside of this?

Not sure if I have missed anything ....

I know so many questions :) Your help has be much appreciated

19. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI the LG PX11 is now shipping with 5000:1 contrast and 1500:1 brightness and looks simply beatiful straight out of the box

20. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!! £$#@"&%$£@#####

Just when I thought I was getting there.... Glad I got that off my chest :D

21. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:
    ok have fun

:laugh:

22. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardless of whether the LG is better than the Panny or vice versa, I would have to agree with hornydragon that it seems pointless paying for a tuner and speakers when you clearly don't need them...

I have a similar set-up to you (Sky+/DVD/Xbox/PS2) and I'm pleased I went for panel-only.

23. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just popped into Richer Sounds at lunch (only coz its there :)) and enquired wether they carry the 5000:1 ratio. After some discussion with the Manager the guy came back and said they had the 4000:1 version. Does such a thing exist or is that just a Richer sounds no nothing staff talking out of bits wot aint meant to be talked out of?

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Erm what are you talking about??? (no plasma looks good out of the box!!)

25. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rumour has it that LG stuck the wrong stickers on them and that they are all 3000:1 regardless.

26. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah funny that considering if they said yes they have upgraded the screens they would have hundreds of angry px11 owners demanding screen upgrades. Just to mention aswell. The firmware revision has been rising with the screen resolution aswell. My 3000 contrast was version 3, my 5000 contrast is version 5 someone else reported a firmware of version 4 but i did not know what sticker his had on the screen. The long and short of it is that my new screen is a million times better than the old one and as i am a digital photography technician i can see the difference in the contrast between the old screen and this new one. Maybe it is just a change in the way the software works but it is one hell of a change!!

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    when you say 1500:1 brightness do you mean 1500cd/m2???????

28. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes 1500cd/m2 Brightness sorry :blush:

29. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still regardless of what the true resolution is I managed to have a look at the LG with a good source and have to say it looked good. Problem is that it ewas in Richer Sounds :).

They also do the Panny and I was wondering, If I bought it from there with the dual Terminal board. Would that give me 2 external connections iI could use in addition to the VGA. ie Component and S-Video?

I suspect I will be ping ponging until I manage to flog my 32" LG CRT. Any day now :)

PSST ...... Wanna buy a telly :D

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes that will give you Component/RGBHV and S-video/Composite as well as VGA (accepts RGBHV/Component on PWD6).....