1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hisense 42" plasma £950

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Badger0-0, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    throw an extra £200 in the pot and get a Panny PWD7. Much better VFM with 3 yr warranty at £1150 delivered

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I'd agree HD :smashin:

But I was thinking about people who might not be able to run to an extra £200.
    The £1000 is a big pyschological barrier to a lot of people and if you can knock £50 off, some people would say that's a fair saving.
    It's an alternative to the Tevion, that's all.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Must admit the anonymous review looks a bit suspect though.
    It made me smile :smashin:

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it makes you smile why reccomend or throw it into the ring?

Theres 3 or 4 manufacturers to bother with in plasma panels, if you want a reliable viewng source,thats the way it is.

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Because some people can't afford the price of a pukka plasma!
    I know a lot of people who, when I've told them I spent £2000 on a tele, p*ss themselves laughing and think I'm mad.
    It's a budget plasma, I agree.
    I've put it in the ring so people can comment on it.
    I'm not recommending that people buy it, but there are people who say a 3rd gen Samsung is ok for the money.
    I haven't even seen it (have you???) so couldn't comment.
    It's another option.
    Or can we only buy £2000 plus plasmas??????

There are people who don't have a £1000 to spend and want the technology but can't afford quality.

I'd like a Ferrari but settle for a Rover.

Horses for courses etc.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I still think £1500 realistic price for a PWD7 and all the bits needed is better than £1000 Wasted on serverely inferior products............... so would even enter them into the running people may want the technology but if thats all they want to won the technology fine, i tend to find that people will go for quality once the realise the difference and as some one rightly pointed out to me today when people say they saw 3 plasama in curries and Brand X was by far the best do they not realise that 3 three should look identical..........a plasma is a monitor and as such should give the most accurate representation of the source material possible

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gulf between a Rover and a Ferrari is 100k ;)

This is the same price as the garbage you mention ,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11073&item=5791399423&rd=1

Even if you have to pay another £300 to get a decent set people that come to a forum for advice are surely going to wait till they have the extra £.

Sets that ooze style and great pq are no longer 2k, far from it but the difference in these sets and the one you are putting your name to is in the Rover / Ferrari territory

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    HD and AV,

I agree, no problem.
    But the fact is that people have finite resources, whether you like it or not.
    I put that plasma in the ring as an option, simple.
    One thing I don't like about this forum, is that it has an air of snobbery.
    I would re-emphasise that a £1000 is a hell of a lot of money to most people.
    Surely the forum is about value for money???
    As to whether the Hi-sense is VFM, I don't know.
    But if this forum is only about the best, well, I see a lot of people being alienated.
    I like this forum but would like a more balanced approach than "it's a grand, therefore it's sh*t".

10. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm certainly not a snob, i lay bricks!

I cant tell people how to spend their money, i'm simply saying if you have a grand budget on a tv then best buy a 32" crt and have some change ,otherwise you will have wasted £1000.

if budget is that tight do without a little luxury for a month and buy something that will bring some pleasure.

I notice you bought a Hitachi, how did you come to that decision?

I have to work damn hard for my av but id rather spend the extra on proven technology than crap.

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    You lay bricks.
    Fair play :smashin:

Same level as me (I'm a pipefitter/welder).

Hardly poor, then.
    And certainly not on £5.20 an hour (which is the sort of people I'm talking about)
    I bought the 7200 out of my tax rebate and the missus did her nut at the money I spent, on what is, after all, a telly.

I work hard too, but know a lot of people who work hard and have no hope of getting the money we can.

Does that mean they can't have a plasma, or can they have one which is reasonable, but not the best???

12. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wifes on £5.30 an hour so yes people on low wages can have a plasma or anything else if they do without other things.

but you are missing the point, if you have a budget of £1000 to blow on something you dont need, your'e not poor are you.

If they were £500 id say try them , nowt to lose, but they are not.

Ive been down the techwood road so..............

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I garee a grand is a huge amount of money far too much to squander on a plasma that may be OK or alright at best when THE BEST (ferrari if you like) SD plasma is £200 more buying cheaper makes no real sense, if money is that tight perhaps you shouldn't be buying a plasma :confused: you can buy a PDP for £750 the panny 37" is £900 at Richersoundsthe 42" with most of the bits you need and 3 yr warranty is £1150 delivered!the HiSense makes no sense!!!!! I havent seen one so i amnot going to say its crap, but i know it isnt aas good as the panny as it has LG or Samsung glass which isnt as good! The point of this forum is to get more than one gets from the likes of pricerunner and kelkooo, Call me a snobb if you like, I am a snobb a Quality snobb if you are not prepared to squeeze 110% out of your budget for the gains available the go to powerhouse and buy a Hyundai PDP for £900 but if you want world class picture quality and the very very best for your obviously limited budget hang around..............nothing wrong with pointing out there are cheaper options but be careful you dont make VFM the only consideration as i saw 14" CRT TV brandnew for £39.99 the other day it had a remote and a scart socket the whole shooting match for forty QUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can be better VFM?

14. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Fair play again :smashin:

Your combined wages are around £20 an hour, if not more, but this is not typical,IMO.

I'm not talking about minimum wage as secondary.

I'm talking about it as the main wage (it does happen and it's very common).

People on that sort of money still aspire to a plasma.

And I feel there is a big market for cheap plasmas.

People who come on this site see the prices mentioned and never visit again.

I am in the process of advising my supervisor on a plasma.

He laughed at £2000 for a telly.
    He baulked at a grand.
    But has now lifted his budget to "maybe" £1500, after I convinced him.

And he earns more than me.

BTW, I've recommended the PWD7, just to show I'm not biased ;)

15. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I posted before I saw this.

All fair comments mate, just trying to make the point that some people can't go to £1100 or £1200, but want plasma.

In which case, what do they do???

Nothing, cos they aren't getting opinions, except for "crap".

Some people rate the Tevion for the money, simple, even though they know the drawbacks.

Says it all, IMO.

16. boksbox

boksbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I was in Comet earlier today watching a bunch of (not sure what the collective name for a bunch of Comet people is, a tail?) blokes unpack a Hisense 4220, I styaed around to watch.
    Upon powering up collective laughter greeted the number of stuck pixels, ,more than 8 near the centre of the screen, after which they swung into action by tapping the screen in an attempt to make them go away, I have to report that they were unsucessful in thier attempts..

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's one of the things that pushes up the price of the 'real deal' plasmas. And I do wonder if it's one of the ways Pioneer are making theirs cheaper. Quality control at the glass manufacture stage, for eg Panasonic, FHP, etc involves throwing away 80+% of the glass, for various faults, dead pixels amongst them. Clearly, this puts up the effective price of the glass. Simple way to make it cheaper, don't throw as much away. Hence, 8 dead pixels out of the box, and what about faults known to exist, but not so immediately evident?