Hiring a projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Grimley, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there are firms which hire projectors on a short term basis? I'm thinking of buying a projector (probably the Panasonic PT-AE100) but I want to see if I can use it in my bedroom, where my HC is. I want to try b4 I buy but I don't know if any retailer will let me do this, so I thought about hiring a projector to try 1st.
    The idea of using a blackout roller blind as a screen is a good one, I will go the same route as JSW for the screen should I decide to buy one.
    The problem is this: the only place it can go is on top of the wardrobe. The distance between projector & screen will be about 9 feet. What size picture is a projector going to produce at that distance? Is my light fitting going to obscure the picture? How long can the component video lead be between DVD player & projector? Have a look for yourself. I will appreciate any advice given.
    Many thanks,
    Grimley.

Attached Files:

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i read somewhere that the panny produces quite a big picture at that distance (bigger than you want). I might be wrong.
    You could always take out the wardrobes like i did. This makes the room more like a cinema.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Try www.projectorcentral.com it has a picture size/distance calculator for many projectors, I'm sure the ptae100 must be one they know. Component video is very robust, can stand a long cable run, espec. if you use good ish cable.

4. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    9 feet in real money is around 275cm which is roughly going to be the distance I install my Panny at. I'm probably going for a 83" Draper Luma screen this would give an image 183cm wide by 103cm high.

To use this screen the projector needs to be between 257 and 303cm from the screen so you are pretty much slap in the middle. The other screens (92" and 69" diagonal) would be unavailable to you due to the distance required from the screen.

I expect the light fitting will be a problem since (avoiding keystone) the image will start for you 5.7cm above the centre of the lens.

I saw a 10m component lead the other day and it worked great. The longer the cable though the more you benefit from good quality.

Anyone else care to comment? I'm only a newb ;)

Andy Trump

5. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys,
    but does anyone know where I can hire a projector?

6. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Plenty of places do hire of LCD projectors (try a web search) but I have looked recently and none seem to list the Panny. I guess this is because it is a) rare as hen's teeth and b) they tend to focus more on data projector's.

Also they would want to charge you a couple of hundred quid, when you consider the price of the projector it wouldn't make a lot of sense. Best thing would be to book a demo with someone.

Andy Trump

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Don't know about a panasonic pt... but loads of places do other PJ's, just search 'lcd projector' with google/your favourite engine. Bet you don't like the price.

8. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Heh great minds think alike. :D

Andy Trump

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yeah, join the sad b.....s club, saturday night, wife's working, kids in bed, what can I do?