Hiren's Boot CD

7ewis

Novice Member
Does anyone use Hiren's Boot CD?
Because I had it on my USB stick (yeah, I know it's not a CD but thats what the package is called! :p), and got a virus from it somehow..
So I am a bit wary if I should get it again or not.. I love all the features it comes with, but it does seem like some of the hacking tools in it could be dodgy?

Just wondering if any sort of security person can confirm that it is safe to use?

DVD-Man

Used it for years.

Instead of someone confirming it is safe why don't you explain what actaully happened, it won't be the first time an over zealous scanning engine has picked something up as false positive.

The other case could be you got it from a dodgy source where someone added a malicous piece of code into the package.

simplicity96

Distinguished Member
Its the autorun on it that causes a false positive from anti virus applications due to the way its written.

The hirens disk itself is a excellent set of tools for most jobs, although for some very useful tools some of the earlier versions of the disk are needed.

7ewis

Novice Member
Can't remember what happened exactly, because it was a while ago.. but I just put my flash drive into my laptop and AVG came up with loads of pop ups saying it was infected with a trojan horse, I cleaned the virus, or whatever they call it and put it in the volt or something and it kept coming up, then my computer started going laggy and became unusable, I ended up having to reinstall Windows..

What is the official site?
Is it : Hiren's BootCD Fan & Discussion Platform
or: Hiren and Pankaj's Homepage » www.hiren.info ?

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Hirens boot disk is superb as is Barts PiE. I use them both on a regular basis :)

Rog69

Distinguished Member
Never had an issue with it, it's made my life easier so many times. I generally run it from CD though but I've never had an issue with virus's from it.

I would guess that it was either a false positive from AVG or the virus on the stick came from somewhere else.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Not if you own a copy of XP or have a system with an OEM version included

Iccz

Not if you own a copy of XP or have a system with an OEM version included
That's the thing though, it's not a legit slipstreamed version of XP, it's more of a pirate copy which has no activation... I'm fairly sure that's not legal, I'd imagine at least if you have a copy of XP, I'm sure the license agreement would probably be breached by such usage?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom