Hip Hop

billwillclark

Standard Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have been a big fan of Hip Hop and really started like Wiz Khalifa a lot. Wiz Khalifa has been hanging out with Snoop Dogg a lot. Do you think its a good look for Wiz Khalifa or you think Wiz is better off without Snoop Dogg?

Snoop is one of the biggest names in the game, I can't see anyone hanging out with him being a problem for them. The main issue for me commercial hip hop has really gone downhill over the last 10 years, for me I much prefer the artists that arent' always getting talked about or even charting. Some of them aren't really underground but they're not really big names with people who don't like the genre.

I think the main reason for how it has gone is Eminem, but Snoop Dogg has also had a large part in it. Either way Wiz knows how huge Snoop is and it can only be good for his career if he wants publicity and to earn money.

Everyone is better off without Snoop dog :rolleyes:

Curly

now yes but Doggystyle was an awesome album.

I'm a bit ol school tbh. still listen to all my old Public Enemy, Ice T, NWA and BDP, Young MC, Beastie Boys etc

The main issue for me commercial hip hop has really gone downhill over the last 10 years, for me I much prefer the artists that arent' always getting talked about or even charting.

Amen to that!

When things started going all bling bling I lost interest in in the more main stream stuff. These days I listen to MF Doom amongst others, I love his style and play with lyrics.

Maybe I'm getting old but I grew up with NWA, Public Enemy, Ice T , Cube this newer "Hip Pop" as I call it is not good.

I still have not forgiven Snoop for Tha Dogfather, maybe it was my own fault for getting so hyped for it as Doggystyle was amazing but I just though it was plain awful. It's still in my CD pile having only been played a few times. Maybe I should listen again maybe it has got better with time :eek:
The Last Meal was OK though.

Wu Tang were another huge let down after the first group album which was game changing. Their early solo albums were also mostly great too.

I think there will always be some good Hip Hop about but the golden era is long gone.

Looking forward to seeing the art of rap at some point, ill just order the Blu as soon as I can. Fingers crossed its as good as some of the older doc's like Rhyme & Reason.

With you all the way wolfie this modern stuff is just crap, chuck d would eat em alive!

Anyone heard the new Public Enemy album yet ?
Never there biggest fan as it was all Ice T and Ice Cube for me, even fell out of love with N..W.A when cube was shafted :)
Death Cert and Predetor I listen to on a weekly if not daily basis. Some of the lyrics crack me up still no matter how many times I've heard it before:)

I think the start of all this 'hip pop' happened once Eminem blew up and took hip hop to a different level commercially,his first 2 album were insane and fresh. I'm not a fan of this newer style at all, the closet I'll get is Jay-z once in a while but , tinie tempah and the likes - no thank you
Agree on the snoop dogg comments though. Doggy style still sounds good today but everything after is just guff

Edit- O.T - hasn't snoop decided to change his name now to snoop lion ? Thought I read recently that his 'gangsta' image and the 'dogg' sent out the wrong message to kids. Bit late now going the numerous possession charges he has aquired over the years, the the gun charges ...... Etc

Last edited:
If you're not a fan of the commercial hip hop that's out there, then perhaps try some of the artists who aren't charting it?

MF Doom, El-P, Aesop Rock, Madlib, Freddie Gibbs, OFWGKTA, Tyler the Creator, Cunninlynguists, Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, Sole, Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne...

Hell, there are even some great artists who are kinda commercial such as Wu-Tang (Ghostface Killah, RZA, and GZA are all awesome rappers), Nas and Common.

There are still a lot of top notch rappers around, you just need to look a little further than MTV or Radio 1.

I like Jedi Mind Tricks style and sound but man is he a homophobic. He is always calling people gay and f*ggot.
I'm not gay (married with kid and another on the way) but I don't agree with thee use of it all the time like he does.
A real shame.

As of this moment, Madvillany is my top album. Superb.

Edit- O.T - hasn't snoop decided to change his name now to snoop lion ? Thought I read recently that his 'gangsta' image and the 'dogg' sent out the wrong message to kids. Bit late now going the numerous possession charges he has aquired over the years, the the gun charges ...... Etc

It's Snoop Lion because he's now making "reggae", though it's not really reggae... :p

Anyone listened to the JJDoom album?

I like it, it a bit short but had some usual great flows from Doom and the production on most tracks is really good.

has anyone had a chance to listen to the new Slaughterhouse album yet? (welcome to: our house)

local hmv hasn't got it in stock and can't think of anywhere else, so might need to order it offline

MF Doom, El-P, Aesop Rock, Madlib, Freddie Gibbs, OFWGKTA, Tyler the Creator, Cunninlynguists, Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, Sole, Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne...

Hell, there are even some great artists who are kinda commercial such as Wu-Tang (Ghostface Killah, RZA, and GZA are all awesome rappers), Nas and Common.
Now thats a list of some artists I know that you know I like :)

There are still a lot of top notch rappers around, you just need to look a little further than MTV or Radio 1.
agreed I'll add a bit of clouddead to the mix :smashin:

Curly

Last edited:
If you're not a fan of the commercial hip hop that's out there, then perhaps try some of the artists who aren't charting it?

Some of those artists are really excellent. Cunninlynguists are one of my favourites now, and I've only been listening to them for the past 2 or 3 years. Went to see them live at the Deaf Institute in Manchester, and they were excellent. It was also one of the only hip-hop gigs I've been to that was accoustically balanced: no crazy booming bass and indecipherable lyrics.

The commercial stuff now is mostly bland and tasteless. Hip-hop has always had a mysoginistic streak, but muc of it seemed quitetongue-in-cheek (e.g. Ice-T's Bitches 2).

There's a black classical musician (can't remember his name), who says that much of hip-hop satisfies a continuing apetite for The Minstrel Show in America, and he may have a point.

It depends where you look these days, but yes the commerical stuff is bland. There is so much going on away from that though. Lately I've been really in to a due from Chi town called The Palmer Squares, they have a lot of videos on YouTube, two white guys with great lyrics. In fact YouTube is great for rappers these days as there are so many just doing videos and upping them there. Hopsin recently blew up on YouTube with Ill Mind of Hopsin #5, I'm off to see him when he's down in London, also going to see Nas next month. Hoping the Nas gig will be good in terms of sound - totally agree with you on the bass/indecipherable lyrics, totally ruins a hip hop show :(

has anyone had a chance to listen to the new Slaughterhouse album yet? (welcome to: our house)

local hmv hasn't got it in stock and can't think of anywhere else, so might need to order it offline

Did you get hold of a copy in the end?

Only heard the previews on itunes so far but i liked what i heard, what did you think of it? :)

got a copy yeah, so far quite good. haven't had a chance to REALLY listen to it all the way through, but some good songs on there - throw it away, goodbye, rescue me, our house.

G.O.O.D. Music - Cruel Summer

Some of the biggest names in Hip Hop together on one album, the result is not disappointing.

My fave track off it:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom