1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hints and tips for new plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by av addict, Jul 4, 2005.

1. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    hi all getting new plasma today :) anyway could yous lovely people give me some hints and tips please on how and what to set screen settings on-thanks

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I assume you mean the PV500???
    It might help if you mention it in the title :smashin:

3. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    here's a tip USE THE SEARCH TOOL :rotfl:

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524

5. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Taken from http://www.glaucobruzzi.com/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=49

PLASMA BREAK-IN -

Like a fine new automobile, the performance of a plasma TV can be optimized by allowing a break-in period. By properly following these simple break-in instructions, you should be rewarded with long-term enjoyment of your plasma TV.

Plasma phosphors are most susceptible to image retention in the first hundred hours of use. The panel becomes considerably less sensitive to burn-in after this period.

Very often, televisions, including plasma, are shipped from the factory with the contrast control at a high setting to provide a bright picture under typical dealer showroom lighting conditions. In your home, the room light levels are usually one half or less than that in retail showrooms. The contrast control may need to be lowered in your home for comfortable contrast levels that do not induce eye strain.

When the plasma is initially installed, videophiles say it is best to do the following:

* Make sure the display is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen (there are often three or more settings from which to choose). The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the “Just” mode.

* Turn down the picture control (contrast) to 50% or less.

* Briefly engage the 4:3 mode to confirm the side bars are set to mid-gray (there is usually an adjustment in the Set Up menu that takes the sidebars from black to gray) to minimize the chance of burn-in.

* Return the set to a “full screen” (Just, Zoom, Full) position during the first hundred hours of use.

* During the first hundred hours of use it is best not to view the same channel for extended periods. This should prevent channel logos and other fixed images found on some channels from being retained.

* Avoid any static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.) during the hundred-hour break-in.

After the hundred-hour break-in period, during the next nine-hundred hours:

* Continue to retain the picture setting at 50% or less.

* Limit the use of 4:3 aspect ratio mode (traditional picture size that does not fill the entire screen) to 15% of viewing time.

* Limit the use of static images (computer, video games, etc.) to less than 10% of viewing time.

After one-thousand viewing hours, panels are much less likely to experience image burn-in.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU SEE A GHOST IMAGE ON THE SCREEN -

In the rare event you begin to see a ghost image on the display, Panasonic has incorporated a built-in “white-bar scroll” feature to assist you. When enabled, the scroll will (in many cases) reduce or eliminate image retention. Consult Panasonic customer service for any technical support issues (800-211-7262 or http://www.panasonic.com/support/).

6. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    thanks guys :)

7. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The July issue of a German home cinema magazine (VIDEO) shows the following what they consider as optimal settings:
    Contrast: 58.8%
    Brightness: 44.1%
    Colour saturation: 51.5%

Not having a set yet myself, I can't comment on how valid these figures are, but they seem reasonable in the light of all the recommendations.

They also quote figures for the Hitachi PD7200 (all based on the individual set's menue settings)

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Contrast and Brightness as low as you can stand, is good advice IMO.

But with my Hitachi 7200, I don't think there is a problem at all.

I'm fully confident that I could have had everything turned up full and not got burn in.

Not that that I would recommend it!!

It's no longer a problem on a decent screen, IMO.

But the higher the brightness/contrast the shorter the lifespan should be born in mind.