Hillbilly Elegy (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

richp007

Distinguished Member
I just happened to watch Kermode giving this a pasting earlier. He wasn't impressed. Some will no doubt say that means it's a masterpiece :laugh:

But thanks for the review Kumari. Just because of Amy Adams and Glenn Close I will give this a look. My expectations aren't much however.

dion 6

Thanks for the review I've seen a couple of interviews with the stars of the movie and movie clips thanks for confirming my initial opinion I'll definitely give it a miss. I've just finished watching another TV series you reviewed the queen's gambit and that was excellent just because you wheel out a couple of Oscar winners doesn't make it a good movie but it'll probably win an Oscar

Last edited:

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Can't decide whether it's more or less offensive to sanitise JD Vance of his "political" "opinions".
Take away the objectivist polemic and all you're left with is folksy bullsh*t and a movie that pretends he wouldn't stab a hundred people for an extra five bucks.
Leave it in and you have a film which justifies being an objectivist duckhead and condemns poor people for being poor.

Yeah, this movie can get bent.
Thanks for taking it, Kumari.
I hate being right all the time (I don't, I actually love it.)

richp007

Distinguished Member
Be interesting to see if it gets put forward for awards. I mean perhaps not any other year by the sounds of it, but this is an odd year with not much to offer.

Something tells me Adams will get a nod.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I've yet to see anything positive about this. Shame as Amy Adams rarely picks a turkey. Won't be bothering.

Last edited:

Zombie Twin

This seems like Ron Howard making a 70s-era John Waters movie, minus excreted fluids.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
One of those where one gets tempted to watch just to see how bad it is lol.

The very nature of Vance’s story is that it’s a common one; he was just an ordinary man who came from a poor background and who – through sheer force of will and hard work – made it out.

That's not very common at all and because of that it is the foundation of many great stories. But it sounds like the film turns this well worn premise into a poor mans pastiche of better stories.

Last edited:

Stepneydragon

Novice Member
Your review of the film aligned closely with my response. But then, I thought the text over-simplified a larger issue. An OK first pass, but I’m not sympathetic to the entire enterprise. Now, had Oliver Stone been on-board, we’d have had a much different product. JMHO.

upallnight

Not sure what all the reviewers have been watching to be honest
Me and the wife really enjoyed it and the acting was top notch
I’d definitely recommend watching this 👍

encaser

Ron Howard made a film and watered the story to ease waters, surely not.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
Fell asleep watching this Amy Adams is a great actress but even her greatness can not cover for a film whose characters you had no interest in and whose outcome you had no wish to find out... Thumbs up for insomniacs .. a cure.

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
What a dreadful dreadful review. Its a thoroughly enjoyable film. Don't listen to the reviewer. Watch it and make your own mind up.

richp007

Distinguished Member
What a dreadful dreadful review. Its a thoroughly enjoyable film. Don't listen to the reviewer. Watch it and make your own mind up.
Yes we can all do that, but that still doesn't make it a dreadful x2 review.

Why you don't tell us why you thought it was good and therefore disagree?

encaser

Just ordered my MOGA cap in advance of viewing...I have to trust there's no voter fraud stopping this from winning.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Don't know anything about the writer. What's his deal?
Venture capitalist neo-con libertarian who works for the nuts and possibly evil Peter Thiel.
Every now and then he makes noises about how poor white America has been badly served by the government but obviously tax cuts or handouts for the poor are bad and wrong.

He's also been disowned by the community he grew up in for misrepresenting them swinging from 'just look at these poor simple hicks... I used to be one, you know.' to 'if only they weren't so societally degraded they might be able to be a millionaire just like me.' He was criticised for speaking "as one of them" when his ideals don't support them at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett