Question HikVision Camera Selection Advice

ste1010

Established Member
Reaction score
After recent attempted break ins on my close I am looking to add some CCTV cameras to the property. I have a background in electrical/computing and especially networking so am comfortable doing the install and setup my self and I have a contact who can source the HikVision equipment however I am looking for some help to confirm the correct cameras for my needs.

The property is a 4 bed detached and initally I am looking to install 3 cameras with a view to adding a fourth pretty soon after. I am looking for good coverage at night and the ability to get alerts when movement is detected at night. The area has very little footfall or traffic.

I have attached a picture showing the layout of the property. I think the two main cameras a ColorVu 2.8mm Turret would be ideal however the third camera is where I am unsure. The frondoor is set back 30 inches from the front face of the house and is also covered by a wooden porch /canopy. I would like to mount a camera above the door or under the canopy that would give a good image of anyone approaching and standing at the front door. not sure if a turret would be too close to the subject. I have seen some recommendation for some mini Domes but not sure about these.

I would be looking at going for either a 4 or 8 ch HikVision NVR. Again if there was a specific model I should be looking at I would appreciate some advice. I think a 4TB HDD would give me 2 weeks recording.

Any other advice or guidance would be appreciated. On the picture the conservatory is now an extension with BiFolds on the front elevation with a Patio now running down right of the garden to the end. Once this is up and running I would be adding a camera above the bifold doors

Thanks

CCTV.jpg

EZVIZ DB1 doorbell camera. Doorbell and CCTV in one. EZVIZ are rebranded Hikvision so it will work with the NVR.

I did consider a door bell camera, but the location the doorbell would be mounted would not give a very good view of someone approaching the door as it would be wall mounted on a wall perpendicular to the door

I used to have a Hikvision mini dome above my door, under the canopy (not as enclosed as yours) and it works great, but I wanted to be able to speak to the people at the door so eventually swapped it out.

Have you got a closer photo of your door?
This isnt my house but one the same taken from streetview. the issue is the current door bel wiring exist the brick work on the wall so the video doorbell would just point at the opposite wall, The door fram is not big enough to fix the doorbell to I dont think and the wiring is in the wronge place. I was looking at adding a camera up in the canopy or on the ceiling of the door recess.
door.jpg

If the frame is definitely not wide enough for a DB1, then a mini dome mounted above the canopy would work.

If the frame is definitely not wide enough for a DB1, then a mini dome mounted above the canopy would work.

Good stuff, thanks will have a look at this camera

From the photos, I’d also be putting some focus on the gate to the right hand side of the property. Not that I’m that way inclined, but if I was eyeing your house up, I’d be looking at the side access. It’s adjacent to what looks like common land and with a low wall near the gate provides an ideal “leg up” platform to get over the gate.
Just my 2 pence.

From the photos, I’d also be putting some focus on the gate to the right hand side of the property. Not that I’m that way inclined, but if I was eyeing your house up, I’d be looking at the side access. It’s adjacent to what looks like common land and with a low wall near the gate provides an ideal “leg up” platform to get over the gate.
Just my 2 pence.
Thanks Mark. Thats not a gate but I agree. There is a narrow passage down the side of the house which comes out at a very narrow gap at the back of the extension. I was thinking of adding something at a later date to cover the path and extension roof. Just want to get the first three up an running.

Presume the yellow dot is the side the bifolds are and they aren't central?

Just thinking, as you're fence borders the road, whether that 'side' was the more vulnerable side in terms of an approach.

H
Presume the yellow dot is the side the bifolds are and they aren't central?

Just thinking, as you're fence borders the road, whether that 'side' was the more vulnerable side in terms of an approach.
Its not a road, its a path and cycle path but you are right, they could access over the fence.
I have updated the drawing to dipict the extension. The Bifolds are on the elevation where I have added the green dot. May be I should move the Yellow dot to the middle of the house. It would make cabling a bit easier as well.

CCTV.jpg

That looks fine.

The 2.8 will have a really wide field of view. So it’s good up close but after a couple of metres you can’t see enough detail. I have a 2.8mm at head height by the front door. My drive is only a car length long, so gives you an idea. Second image is a 4mm, slightly higher up, maybe 7ft.

Attachments

• 129AABF2-BBD2-4829-BAC8-659883F3D9BF.png
    129AABF2-BBD2-4829-BAC8-659883F3D9BF.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 1EC825B9-BA05-43DB-951A-2671536C427C.png
    1EC825B9-BA05-43DB-951A-2671536C427C.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 153
Definitely red as 4mm in my opinion. Possibly yellow as well, dependent on how wide a field of view you need to cover.

Thanks to all that have given input thus far.

Can anyone give some advise on the Green camera above?

Want to get cracking with this,

Thanks

Put a photo up showing the back of the house. That'll help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom