hiking/photography in Scotland?

weetsie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
just ordered 5 rolls of kodachrome, need to see what the hype is about before they stop developing it, i have 200~ exposures which is what i normally use in a year and i only have about 1 month to shoot it all. so my plan is to head up to Scotland with a tent for a week or maybe a bit longer to shoot some landscapes. my question is has anyone done any walking in Scotland? what walks would you recommend? or even just an area? ive been looking online for the last hour but it all looks good to me so im none the wiser :(

When are you planning the trip for? the weather up here near Inverness is galeforce winds and near zero temperatures (sub zero at night). I wouldn't want to be out in a tent. B&Bs are cheaper at this time of year.
If you want harbours and rough seas go east coast, if you want lochs and mountains go west and central and if you want neolithic go to Orkney or Kilmartin Glen. If you insist on walking the west highland way is popular.

yeah, miserable cold bugger of a place just now :)

Watch any higher level walks, weather can change so quickly, there's always people in news getting air lifted from now till april :)

I would say the Highlands but this time of the year the weather's going to be against you and your tent.
There's the Great Glen Way, Glen Affric, Cannich and Strathfarrar which are all excellent. :smashin:

i plan to go late november/early december.

i say tent but really i mean nylon bag, you dont need to worry about me im from yorkshire, anything in Scotland is mild in comparison. :)

seriously though, i have a decent sleeping bag the cold is not a problem.

i say tent but really i mean nylon bag, you dont need to worry about me im from yorkshire, anything in Scotland is mild in comparison. :)

I like the sound of that:smashin:, hope the weather isn't too unkind. I used loads of 'Kodachrome 64' years ago.........lovely stuff it was, I still have the slides in the cupbard somewhere. It was supplied with an envelope to post the developed film back to the labs, I was so impatient to get it back:D

Considering what time it gets dark / light this time of year you're going to have long long nights cooped up in a small tent.

Considering what time it gets dark / light this time of year you're going to have long long nights cooped up in a small tent.

yes yes im aware winter is not the best time to go but this is the last chance, after 2010 no more kodachrome ever.

I think you'll find it's not so much the cold that's the problem, it's the horizontal rain...

I would seriously consider B&B's, which as other have said will be not so busy and possibly cheap. At least then you can dry off and enjoy a nice dram infront of a warm fire. Difficult the start one of the latter in wet & windy conditions.

its looking more and more like i cant aford not to book into a b&b/hostel as my gear is less complete than i thought. my sleeping bag is trashed, the backpack i normally borrow is in use and i dont have any boots.

all in all i think i will need to spend £700 at least to be equiped to camp. :(

Have you thought about hiring a camper van? its a compromise between the two options.

I was up Cairngorm Sunday and ventured 100 feet from the Restaurant up the top when the cloud closed in and I couldn't see anything.

Take care on them hills! (no freakin way would I be camping up these things!)

5174727707_81640ca101_b.jpg

You will get the absolute best pictures and meet the nicest folks in Stirling. :smashin:

OK, I may be a bit biased. :D

You will get the absolute best pictures and meet the nicest folks in Stirling. :smashin:

OK, I may be a bit biased. :D

...there's more than one of them now then ? :eek: :devil: :D

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom