Higrade xtreme 1800

P

Peachy

Hi all, newbie here.

First off fantastic community, I was looking into the elonex artisan and this forum is by far the best source of info about it.

Yesterday I read nearly all of the "how good is the artisan thread" (took a long time). I also noticed that there was a lot of discussion about the hi grade dms II. I think both machines are tempting but during the topic I stumbled upon the hi grades xtreme models. I was wondering why the hi grade xtreme 1800 isnt generating similar interest. I know its larger but IMHO its still small enough to get under the telly. It also has dual digital cards, by all accounts its pretty quiet (although ive only found one review), it has 2x200gb hard drive, gig of ram and a good graphic card. Its important for me that it doubles up as a a pretty good PC. So why is no one interested? Have I missed something. I nearly got the credit card out but hi grades site is down. Now the impulse has gone, I thought it would be a good chance to gather some of this forum's users thoughts.

Anyone got any thoughts - Pros - Cons (presumbaly cost?)

Thanks

Peachy

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Build your own? :)

Last edited:

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I ended up building my own so I can have ultimate control over the components. But there is something to be said for buying a ready made one as you know the components work together or you have some come-back...

When building my own I also came across this outfit (http://www.u-sm.com) and bought some parts. But they do some better looking and specced (imho) home theatre pc's than the likes of hi-grade...Don't know about after-sales support as I didn't need it, but pre-sales is pretty good....Just another option...

S

Skunkpipe

meansizzler said:
Not that much less, remeber that them manufacturers buy in bulk so get parts way cheaper than any of us a get it...
it ain't that much cheaper....

Rambles

Distinguished Member
dejongj said:
When building my own I also came across this outfit (http://www.u-sm.com) and bought some parts. But they do some better looking and specced (imho) home theatre pc's than the likes of hi-grade...Don't know about after-sales support as I didn't need it, but pre-sales is pretty good....Just another option...
Isn't the guy that runs that a forum member?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Don't know, wouldn't be surprised as more and more suppliers are on the forum...I think Higrade and Elonex are as well....

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I just think their cases are a little bit more pleasing than the others....Especially if Peachy is considering a larger case. I've got the LC16M myself and it is very well crafted and looks very much like an classy hi-fi unit. And easily fits in a normal stands underneath my plasma....

P

Peachy

Thanks for the responses. I dont have the experience / skills to build a PC at the moment and with two small kids its unlikely I would have the time.

I just want an off the shelf solution. Nobody has criticised the choice yet (with the exception of the price). Anybody got any specific opinions about this machine.

Thanks again.

S

Skunkpipe

lisag said:
Isn't the guy that runs that a forum member?
:hiya:

just waiting for the mods to get back to me so I can start advertising here

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Comments on the higrade extreme...here we go...I'd go for the highest processor spec possible, last night I was watching high-def material, recording a TV programme and burning a CD...All at ones without a frame dropped....As MCE lets you do these things then make certain the processor can cope....I think the pentium-m's are capable but I wouldn't get anything less than the 2.0Ghz...

Nvidia 6800GT, big card with some rendering problems if you believe the net and community. If it can take a big card like that, then the 7800 series is much quieter...I would prefer a fanless model to be honest....

Don't know what hard-disk are being used..But they can get very noisy...So make certain they support AAM...Looking at the sizes they are probably not Samsung Spinpoints which seems to be the overall champion in speed and silentness....

DVD drive...I would want to know what DVD drive is in there. If not for the least to ensure that it can be made region free and that (again) it support slow down when watching DVD or listening to CD to silence the setup.

No PCI slots are free, so you have got a massive box without any expansion possibilities!? Don't understand why Hi-Grade have do that...

It states silent operation but doesn't provide any figures of what they mean by silent...I laught when I read statements that below 30dB it is not audible (not that hi-grade made them). I definitely can hear the noise at silent moment in classical music or during a movie...Or when you just walk into the room when you've left it on...Really spoils it...But perhaps you are not as 'anal' about noise....

P

Peachy

Jean-Paul thanks for the excellent advice, I think I will cut and paste those queries and pop them off to hi grade.

I will also look into u_SM also.

RhythMick

Standard Member
dejongj said:
I ended up building my own so I can have ultimate control over the components. But there is something to be said for buying a ready made one as you know the components work together or you have some come-back...

I took a look at this site and it really does have some well-specced, well-priced MCE PC's. I've been watchign the threads on the Artisan and the DMS for ages and decided not to buy until it all settled down. This looks interesting. Anyone know what their support record is like ?

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme