highstreet clothes sizes! argh!

Koeman2021

Ex Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get frustrated by the inconsistency of sizing by high street retailers, namely men's clothes.

its got to the point now where i don't like to order online due to not knowing if it'll fit or not. I'll be honest, i'm a XL or a 17" collar in shirts.

I've had stuff recently that fit fine, been too big and been miles too small.

i don't like this current trend for slim fitting clothes, also what fashion fit?

just a bit of a rant really. i should probably just lose weight!

Does anyone else get frustrated by the inconsistency of sizing by high street retailers, namely men's clothes.

its got to the point now where i don't like to order online due to not knowing if it'll fit or not. I'll be honest, i'm a XL or a 17" collar in shirts.

I've had stuff recently that fit fine, been too big and been miles too small.

i don't like this current trend for slim fitting clothes, also what fashion fit?

just a bit of a rant really. i should probably just lose weight!

Yep
I find an expensive T shirt has to be XL or even XXL but if I buy a cheaper one then the same size would fit like a tent.

As I'm a slim fit no, I love the present trend :), I can see how it could be incredibly annoying though

As most of what I like clothing wise is being removed from the high St it is becoming a royal pain in the arse buying clothing online for myself.

I've got a few brands like Diesel/Soviet etc down to add two sizes above what I am, but for other brands it is a bit hit and miss. The same does apply instore (when you find one still in business)

I too happen to like a lot of the "slim fit" stuff, however I absolutely hate skinny jeans and that kind of stuff - I just like well fitted stuff, not tent-like garments...
I do completely agree that the sizes seem to mean very little, in most places I'm an M, others I have to go with L, and I've even found that S was right in a couple of places.

Not really. I've been wearing clothes for years and know what to expect :)

I'm 6'3" and fairly broad (XXL t shirts 'just' fit across my shoulders) so I know the majority of stuff in places like French Connection, Gap and the like will not fit from the waist up so I don't bother looking.

The sizes have always varied from brand to brand, it's nothing new and I can't see it ever changing.

I am the same with trousers. I can range anywhere between 32 - 36 depending on where I shop. Two of my work suits from Next are 36", however a pair from M&S are a 34" and are to big for me. Don't even get me started on Jeans though, I have a pair of Levi's that are 34" and they are quite a tight fit around the waist. However my Wranglers are are also a 34" and I can't wear them without a belt as they'd fall straight off me!

If you think men's clothes are difficult try the women's section. It's a nightmare.

At least men can buy jackets in Short, regular or long. Women are deemed to all be the same height

yup. very annoying. but i tend to stick to certain brands (stussy, diesel, g-star, police, armani etc) and i know how they will sit on me.

for example a Large superdry is like a medium g-star. but too long.

at least they dont try to flatter us like they do with ladies by making them feel less fat by decreasing the sizes. all clothing should be made certain sizes so we all know.

Yep
I find an expensive T shirt has to be XL or even XXL but if I buy a cheaper one then the same size would fit like a tent.

I've found this. Designer labels and branded stuff always seems to be tailored for dwarfs. An XXL from any high street brand or designer label wouldn't fit my 8 year old nephew..!

Not really. I've been wearing clothes for years and know what to expect :)

I'm 6'3" and fairly broad (XXL t shirts 'just' fit across my shoulders) so I know the majority of stuff in places like French Connection, Gap and the like will not fit from the waist up so I don't bother looking.

Same, I'm 6'4" and very broad at the shoulders with big legs (from my rugby days) and struggle to find anything I order online will fit perfectly whether it be kecks or tops. Oddly, I used to find that GAP (being a US company) did big sizes, though that may have changed now.

Online, I generally find stuff like Timberland, RL and a lot of US labels are usually on the nail for sizes for someone like me. Off the peg same as above and I also use TK-Max as they stock a lot of out of season stuff in huge (mainly US) sizes which is ideal, if you can be arsed rooting - which I normally can't :thumbsdow

I'm a 33" waist at GAP. 34" waist at next for jeans and chinos, 36" for formal trousers. 34" at MEXX and M&S. 40" short for jackets at next, 42" regular at M&S....

Designer labels and branded stuff always seems to be tailored for dwarfs.

It's psychological. Being a 30" waist in designer or 36" in normal, is enough to make people buy designer to make themselves feel slimmer.

My brother got some shirts online years ago. Put in his measurements and they arrived in size L. Tried them on a fitted really, really well.

He sent them all back because he didn't want to be a size L - he's usually M.

Get out and go to the shops. Live a little ,big department stores have advisers . Try things on, its good for the well being. If it fits ands you like it buy it. Online orders are great you can save a few pounds but its a waste of money. A good garment that fits and makes you feel good is value for money ,its better than a garment bought online that is cheap and does not fit.

Get out and go to the shops. Live a little ,big department stores have advisers . Try things on, its good for the well being. If it fits ands you like it buy it. Online orders are great you can save a few pounds but its a waste of money. A good garment that fits and makes you feel good is value for money ,its better than a garment bought online that is cheap and does not fit.

If you buy online and it doesn't fit, send it back (usually free returns).

Ever bought anything in a shop and got it home and it doesn't fit as well as you thought when you raced to try it on and just wanted to get out of the shop?

Or plain kidded yourself that it would ease a little when washed and worn - or worse, get your mum to turn them up :rotfl:

Been there, done that and then the shops shut. Now I have the option to spend £50 travelling to London, another £20 paying for parking and then £50 for a light bite.

Online retailers that sell the same items I travel miles to try on and perhaps buy deliver sometimes for free, are cheaper for the same item and offer free returns if the item does not fit. Cannot see how that would be a waste of money?

Money saved means more time for other enjoyable things..

Yup, it's always been the way of it, and likely always will be the way of it :)

Different clothes have different cuts partly due to where the brand is from. American = Generous to size. British = Good to size. Italian = Small to size.

As tonyrees said, decent shops will be able to advise you properly. Tell them your size in inches, and they'll bring the size to fit.

I never buy clothes online. Even if they're the right size, you're far better IMO trying a few things on in a shop as you'll invariably find something else that fits/looks better. Guess it's a bit of a snag if you have no decent shops near you though.

It is worse for women though! My missus has a suit which is a size 10, and a hoodie which is XL. How does that work? :D

If you buy online and it doesn't fit, send it back (usually free returns).

Ever bought anything in a shop and got it home and it doesn't fit as well as you thought when you raced to try it on and just wanted to get out of the shop?

Or plain kidded yourself that it would ease a little when washed and worn - or worse, get your mum to turn them up :rotfl:

Well I have bought clothes in a shop and returned the items.Easy. But raced to try it on.? No I have not raced to try it on and just wanted to get out of the shop. What is the point of that. If I wanted my mum to alter my clothes she could and I would ask her. But unlike you I buy my clothes to fit and dont ask my mum to make stupid clothes try and fit me.

Agreed, and I'm quite lucky in that my other half tends to help me pick things that do look good on me.

I found before I lost weight that a lot of tops and trousers/jeans were too small and now everything seem to be XL or more. I am now a medium )was XXL) and a 32" waist (was 50") and find there is much more choice in bigger sizes. The complete opposite to what it used to be.

I also found it is possible to buy a 32" and the waist is actually a 34" Apparently, it is common thing to happen to make people feel better that they can fit in smaller sizes. The last pair of jeans I bought was sold as a 30" but is actually 32" but the legs are slimmer than the 32" version.

I had a nightmare shopping for a plain white shirt, trouble was trying to get an 18inch collar shirt that wasn't a tent... all the 'slim fit' brands only went up to about 17inch collar..

In the end I ordered online, a hugo boss slim fit 18inch collar shirt, which fits great!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom