Highlander: Immortal Edition

Abstracto

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just seen this advertised for pre-order on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-...r_1_290?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243513764&sr=1-290

The film hasn't aged all that well, after seeing it recently I hate to say it needs some kind of lucas revamp,

I hope they restore this title fully as it may breathe new life into the film, lets hope they never release Highlander 2 with the stupid dome and aliens from planet zog or whatever it was called

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Noitced this was available for pre-order at Play last week, will probaley wait until its been reviewed before I but it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If Lucas were to even think about revamping this classic I would pop 'round his gaff and burn all his Lumberjack shirts'

You guys do know that there is rumoured to be a remake/reboot very soon?

As for the Blu, I bought the steelbook DVD and never bothered to watch it. And yet I find myself jonesing for the Blu-ray, even though I'll probably never watch it either. Waiting for the review is a given, though.

I've no problem with a remake/reboot,(even had a go at writing my own version), the original will still exist. The story of Highlander has blanks, things that we're never told and that's one of the things I love about it, the mystery and romanticism of it all. I'd be fine with them telling the story in a different way, fill in some back story, etc.

In my own version of events, the Kurgan and Ramirez are the main focus of the story, Connor MacLeod does not appear until later. Simply put, Ramirez found the Kurgan,(much like he finds MacLeod in the original), not simply cast out by his people, but put to death for some petty crime. It goes a bit pear shaped as the Kurgan decides to use his power and immortality to commit evil, making Ramirez feel responsible for unleashing this monster upon the world.

He puts together a small band of immortals, who are then charged with one thing: Destroy the Kurgan. They're not very successful and Ramirez ends up being the last surviving member, well aware that as immortal as he is, time was running out. If the Kurgan was to continue and win The Prize, mankind would indeed suffer an eternity in darkness. Ramirez then meets Connor Macleod and although hesitant at first,(because of how things with the Kurgan went boobs up), he trains him and comes to realize that this man has the ability,(over time), and purity to possibly stop the Kurgan in his tracks.

It now becomes MacLeod's story and The Gathering as usual, takes place in New York. I couldn't decide on keeping it '80s New York, or moving it to now. That said, I did decide that The Prize could be anything at all and the Connor chooses to go back to The Highlands in the 16th Century, back to his first wife Heather and live a mortal life... THE END...

LOL!!

Last edited:
Shame you couldn't have given that to Mulcahy before he did Highlander II.

Play lists it with a DTS- HD MA 2.0 surround track:nono: What gives? Please tell me they have it wrong:lease:

I have loved this film since original release and cant wait for it on Blu

Im sure it will look very dated, and it never had a huge budget to start with, but the music by Queen and the story always gets to me in the best possible way.

I wouldnt change a single thing - its completely perfect in my view

Highlander II I love and loathe in equal measure - Connery scenes are the best, even though he doesnt last long lol

Would be interesting to see what a "reload" turns out like but I cant imagine it would get close to one of my favourite films ever

Beleive it or not I've never ever seen this film. One of those I've only ever heard good things about but never got round to watching it.

I'm also a sucker for a steelbook.

Ordered mine.

:thumbsup:

" Hey. It's a kind of magic":rotfl:

Im sure it will look very dated, and it never had a huge budget to start with, but the music by Queen and the story always gets to me in the best possible way.

Aye, some of it will look dated but the music never will be.

A kind of magic, Who wants to live forever, One year of Love (love that song).

Fantastic soundtrack rocks:clap::clap::clap:

Play lists it with a DTS- HD MA 2.0 surround track:nono: What gives? Please tell me they have it wrong:lease:

I wouldnt worry too much, they dont always post the most accurate info and has there ever been a DVD or BD released with a DTS stereo track?

Falling Down did just get released with a 2.0 TrueHD track. But as for Highlander, it's got 5.1 audio on the Immortal Edition DVD so Play's info on the BD must be incorrect.

The pic needs an urgent upgrade, the DVD steelbook is pretty poor. Still a fantastic film though.

Very tempting, is anywhere doing it less than £17.99?

Looking forward to getting it.

What deleted scenes are they talking about on the extras? I thought the UK had the longest cut of the movie!

I agree in part about the lucas treatment in so much as removing the bloody wires from the final quickening (i don't go for any of that 'it's part of the film's charm rubbish'. It's embarrassing;)

Apparently that final quickening was to turn into a creature that Connor had to continue fighting after the Kurgan's death, and behead or whatever. Sadly they couldn't afford to do it.

I've read online (so it mightn't be true) that Stephen Sommers (of the pretty lame 'Van Helsing' movie and the Mummy films is signed up to helm the remake. If true it's good that they're aiming for a summer event movie, bad that he's a bit of a hack. Also it said they wanted Mickey Rourke as the Kurgan and they were giving the character an origin subplot - that's all bloody great, if true...

If not Rourke, then i'd love to see Benicio Del Toro as the Kurgan. The once rumored Kevin McKidd would be an excellent Connor andif they got him they might get his Dog Soldiers mate Neil Marshall to helm instead - i'd pay to see that. Ramirez is the toughest to re-cast... How do you top Connery! Don't suppose Daniel Day Lewis would fancy it.

Looking forward to getting it.

What deleted scenes are they talking about on the extras? I thought the UK had the longest cut of the movie!

The UK had the "international cut". There were deleted scenes on past DVD releases of the international cut.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom