Highlander 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Will get my hands on it sounds nice. I remember being in New York in 2005 and getting excited at the "Silvercup" sign on one of the buildings roofs! "It's from Highlander!" I think said to the nonplussed wife.
I remember getting a version of it on DVD years ago that was beyond appalling. Does anyone remember that? One of the worst looking DVDs ever made.

I have bought this so many times over the years in the hope of finding a version that presents the Queen soundtrack well but have never been totally happy so I have high hopes for this one. Will, though,l hang on and wait for the 4K UHD release if/when it appears.

Have they fixed the wow and flutter on the orchestral track? In places (mainly when it cuts to the highlands scenes) there is a horrendous wobble on the orchestral track.

As for the film, I absolutely love it and an absolute cult classic for me so might well pick this up.

G

Can anyone who owns this disc comment on the compression issues that appear to be present on this release - see comparison to existing US release on caps-a-holic.com i.e. how does it look in motion.

I will be buying this even if the review gave it 1 (great review by the way). One of my all time fav's.

Are any of the sequels worth watching? I love the original. I saw the 2nd one when I was young and remember being hugely confused but none of the others.

Are any of the sequels worth watching? I love the original. I saw the 2nd one when I was young and remember being hugely confused but none of the others.

I saw Highlander 2: The Quickening in the cinema.. It was bloody confusing mess of a film. I remember walking out thinking "what the hell did I just watch?". Can't remember the third one.

IMO Highlander 3 is the best of the sequels, it's not bad. Due to the criticism of Highlander 2, they played it safe so it's essentially a retread of the first film without Connery and Mario Van Peebles in the Clancy Brown role.

Highlander 4 was routine and also had Adrian Paul from the TV series, so he could take over franchise responsibilities from Christopher Lambert.

Highlander 2 ? Which version there are that many !!!!
The one with the scenes on the alien planet where the origin is explained that the immortals are aliens blew my mind. Made the film quite different.

I read the other week they are doing another Highlander film with Christopher Lambert.

Loved this film growing up. Will buy the release eventually but will wait for the price drop first.

Can anyone who owns this disc comment on the compression issues that appear to be present on this release - see comparison to existing US release on caps-a-holic.com i.e. how does it look in motion.
Anyone?

Reviews on Amazon haven't been great either. I get the impression this could have been a much better release.

No problems here best i have seen it,Amazon reviews :eek: their usually very badly done,i very rarely take any notice of them :)
I wouldn't usually either, but I didn't have a lot else to go on and the caps made me sceptical about the professional reviews.

I agree with Cas's comments, but even by the standards of the day, it's still quite poor technically. Setting aside the Vhs quality "eye" effect, grain is very poorly controlled and there are some smoke effects that confused the hell out of the dnr. The smoke particles look the size of peas and move quite unnaturally across the screen.

The outdoor stuff looks good though, but you can tell what was filmed on smaller, probably 16mm cameras, as the depth of field changes quite radically.

Got it for £15 from Amazon, so not too horrific!

Bizarre disc. Poor compression, bad standard-converted footage in the extras, upscaled doc, (that had no reason to be upscaled), eating bitrate and an audio commentary in lossless audio doing likewise.

Just watched it, enjoyed the film again, always did, the disc as mentioned is a mixed bag, both visually and the audio, some scenes look great, best ive seen the film look, full of colour for sure, then some look dodgy, some of the new york street footage , horrrible, and the eye effect is a horrible looking scene, but it is still the best looking ive owned Highlander...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom