• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Highest Quality Sound You Have Herd?

Ice Rich

Standard Member
Hello,

Whats the highest quality sound you have herd. If its from speakers please state which make/model and the sample it was playing :)

Rich

Thunder

Established Member
TagMclaren demo room at the TMA building;
DVD32R, AV32RDP, 250x3, 100x4, TMA F1 fronts, F1 centre, 4xTMA calliope with bass modules for surrounds/surround backs, M&K MX5000 sub.
:thumbsup:

Mr Cat

Banned
best speakers I've herd..?

has to be my Kefs - they really make the sound mooooove... :D

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
CD12/LINN LP12 ekos/arkiv/lingo, (LP12 pixie dust special with bits that never went in to production), Bonnec Timpano pre-amp and 4 x Bonnec Alto power amps fitted with Bonnec aktiv modules for Linn Keltik loudspeakers. Keltiks modded with newer treble units and bass units sealed in place.

Played any music well. Former bosses system.

GW43

Prominent Member
I was visiting Linn in Glasgow a few years ago, and my contact there told me the kit in the reception area was £48,000 worth of CD player and amps, and the speakers were the size of fridges - didn't get the name of them.

The downside was they were playing a Phil Collins CD!

harv

Established Member
Hifi show wise... Krell demo with LAT-1 surround system and huge sub. terminator 2 demo.

at someones house, Revel salon speakers, mark levinson 335, audiomeca transport and dac, sounded lovely, very musical and detailed. Was very jealous...listened to all sorts of bits and pieces. Red snapper was ace but a live ver. of hotel California... you could pick out indivual people clapping and cheering without it being bright

S

Squid Doctor

The classical section of my local CD store has a pair of ProAc Response 100's connected to a big fat pass labs amp. The sound is gorgeous, even in the less than ideal environment.
Last time I was there they were playing Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna", it was truly awesome.

Ed Selley

Hi-Fi Editor
Sonus Faber Stradivari with an Avid turntable and Graaf valve amps at Munich '05. Should have been warm and cuddly but instead was the most enthralling, detailed and real sound I've ever heard. The chap played Nina Simone's Mr Bojangles and then Blondie's Union City Blue- a fair contrast but it excelled at both.

Just as well I wasn't holding the deeds to my house......

Knightshade

Established Member
harv said:
At someones house, Revel salon speakers, mark levinson 335, audiomeca transport and dac, sounded lovely, very musical and detailed. Was very jealous...listened to all sorts of bits and pieces. Red snapper was ace but a live ver. of hotel California... you could pick out indivual people clapping and cheering without it being bright
The Salons are nice speakers, too much for my room, but they do sound great.
Best system? Not much between the real high end kit for me. It really is personal choice. Personally i've never heard anything better (to my ears) than a high end Linn system. They always sound poor in demo rooms though.....:(
A friend has a lot of high end Naim on some custom built concrete speakers which sound rather nice. Female vocals do sound very sweet.

Daneel

Established Member
Neat Ultimatum MFS playing Katie Melua - Belfast

Loner

Standard Member
B&W 802D's...............talk about great sound! Didn't matter what genre they were playing......my jaw was still on the ground:thumbsup:

klr10

Established Member
Meridian 5.1 system in a Home Cinema in Guernsey, don't know the model numbers, but had the D/A converters and amps in each speaker. Blew me away!!

Crisp_Rapper

Established Member
i've not done much 'research' but i've been utterly astounded by how amazingly simple B&O's Lab 5 speakers are to set up (3 cables, automatically adjust to room acoustics, 180 degree tweeter fire) and just how fantastic the sound is from them considering their size...

i'm sure there's better but for a complete package (looks/performance) not much gets near them.

dood

Established Member
I'm afraid the best sound I've heard was not from speakers but from a live orchestra. No speakers will reproduce the sound of a full orchestra, especially the big bass drums.

The best sound from hifi was a friend's setup about 12 years ago, can't remember all the details but it included Linn turntable with phono pre-amp, Wadia CD player, audio research pre-amp, Krell power amp, soundlab (I think) speakers (huge electrostatics). Worked great with opera and cowboys and junkies etc. Cables were more than an inch in diameter.

Beobloke

Established Member
Meridian DSP8000 speakers at front and centre; DSP5500 speakers at side and rear; Meridian 800 Reference DVD player, Meridian Reference 861 surround sound controller.

All playing a special 7.1 remix of "Smoke on the Water" to show off the (then new) MLP technology.

I may have dribbled slightly..................

M

MrScruff

I have never found a perfect system as some music sounds better on some amps than others but in general.

Piano on a Merantz PM48 with Tannoy M2 speekers and any source.
Bass guitar on any NAD amp with TDL3 speekers and good source.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Best ever...bit of a difficult choice....

I really enjoyed the Wilson Speakers from the Watt/Puppy right up to the current equivalents,powered by Krell or Levinson amps and from yrs ago the Apogee Scintillas also driven by Krells(which were about the only things that could).

More recently,at the Emporium,a beautiful system consisting of a Shanling CDT-300 and OriginLive Sovereign,plus Viva Preamp and 845 power amps,and a set of speakers by a small US company,Wisdom Audio.....quite honestly the most relaxing sound I've heard in ages.

I also rather liked the Krell/Linn Keltik active system I had until we moved house!

Unfortunately the fist 2 systems amounted to about £40-50k each,and only served to make me envious....

D

dartagnain

the best i've ever heard was a few years back at an audio show in lisbon, unfortunately I don't remember the model of the speakers and amp. it was a pair of huge Avalon speakers and conrad johnson amps. i think that was when i got Hifi itch

alexs2

Distinguished Member
dartagnain said:
the best i've ever heard was a few years back at an audio show in lisbon, unfortunately I don't remember the model of the speakers and amp. it was a pair of huge Avalon speakers and conrad johnson amps. i think that was when i got Hifi itch

All of the Avalons are beautiful,and reminiscent in many ways of the Wilsons,with amazing build quality and looks,plus sound,but like all of those,you need equally good amplification to get anywhere near the best out of them,but C-J are well up to that,esp their tubed preamps.

Figment

Established Member
Meridian DSP8000 for me they are game over.

guli

Standard Member
Has to be the Wilson Audio Grand Slamms powered by Krell monoblocks...

99Flake

Wilson Benesch ACT 2 speakers, Linn Ikemi CD player and Quad 306 amplification. Amp could do with replacing to be honest but it still sounds mind blowing. Haven't heard many other high end systems apart from anything demo'd before choosing these speakers/cd player. Therefore they can't have sounded as good to my ears.

Pat Marcus

Established Member
Another fan of meridian DSP8ks, here but I also adore the B&W D series (see sig) especially the 800Ds which are way outside my price range. The Utopia BE range by Focal JMLab are wonderful, too, as are the Wilsons, mentioned elsewhere.

Ian J

Banned
Pat Marcus said:
The Utopia BE range by Focal JMLab are wonderful, too, as are the Wilsons, mentioned elsewhere.

We heard the Focal Utopia BE 100O at Bristol this year and they sounded good but not in the same league as the Wilson Benesch Arcs which are probably in the same price bracket

A

Abootnoo

Apogee Scintilla speakers driven by Krell KMA400 mono's. Preamp was an Audio Research SP15 Mk2 I think, and source was a Goldmund Reference / Koetsu Rosewood.

The astute out there will have guessed that this was at the Heathrow Penta show late-80's.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom