Higher spec 65" or lower spec 77" - does a higher refresh rate make that much of a difference?

AntT2

Standard Member
Hi all,

I am wondering if anybody has an extensive knowledge of OLED TVs. (I do not)

I’m basically looking at purchasing an OLED Tv.

My budget is £2500.

Ideally I'd love a 77inch (I'll be keeping an eye on prices leading up to Black Friday) but I also have a shortlist of 65 inch tvs.

TV will be in the living room - but blinds will be closed when watching film.

I am not bothered about the sound quality of the tv as I have a separate system for that.

I have got my eye on the following 65 inch tvs:

LG OLED G1
Philips OLED805

And the following 77 inch tvs

LG OLED A1
LG OLED B1 (if the price is reduced)
LG OLED C1 (if the price is reduced)
Philips OLED805 (if the price is reduced)

My questions are:

*Does a refresh rate of 100HZ or 120HZ really make a noticeable difference when watching films, especially with Ultra HD DVDs. Or would the 60HZ refresh rate on an LGA1 be more than sufficient?

*For picture quality wise - would you suggest a higher spec 65 inch tv - like the LG G1 with Evo OLED back panels - or are the differences marginal when talking about £2000+ tvs and a lower spec 77 inch LG OLED will be more than sufficient.

*Does the OLED G1 Evo Tech really visually look a lot brighter?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Andrew

Dodgexander

There's a relationship between response times and motion on TVs. Slower responding TVs (60hz) have less stutter, but more blur. You can expect to see trails behind moving objects more, this is usually most prominent when the TV has to transition fast from a brighter image to a darker one, or vice versa. For film and TV this usually isn't a big problem, but for sport and for gaming it can be more of an issue.

Perhaps the worse thing to consider about the A1 compared to the C1 is similar to the difference between the B1 and C1 and that's how bright the TV can get.
In reviews we see the:
A1 at around 500 nits peak - arguably not bright enough for an impactful HDR picture.
B1 at around 600 nits peak - borderline, HDR should be okay in some titles.
C1 almost 800 - HDR starts to look very, very good and without problems.
G1 almost 1000 - the most impactful HDR picture.

Regarding whether to go larger with less quality, or smaller with more quality it depends entirely on how you'll use the TV. If you use it for sport, you'll likely want to avoid the A1 altogether. If you use HDR on the TV, ideally you want to aim for the LG C1, or even better G1. If you are watching only SDR content then the LG A1 is fine provided its just movies/TV.

Viewing distance and the type of content you view on the TV also plays a part. Most people view quite far from their TV, but the further you view from a smaller the TV the better poorer quality material will look. The other way around, the closer to a larger TV, the more detail you can see from a high quality source.

AntT2

Standard Member
There's a relationship between response times and motion on TVs. Slower responding TVs (60hz) have less stutter, but more blur. You can expect to see trails behind moving objects more, this is usually most prominent when the TV has to transition fast from a brighter image to a darker one, or vice versa. For film and TV this usually isn't a big problem, but for sport and for gaming it can be more of an issue.

Perhaps the worse thing to consider about the A1 compared to the C1 is similar to the difference between the B1 and C1 and that's how bright the TV can get.
In reviews we see the:
A1 at around 500 nits peak - arguably not bright enough for an impactful HDR picture.
B1 at around 600 nits peak - borderline, HDR should be okay in some titles.
C1 almost 800 - HDR starts to look very, very good and without problems.
G1 almost 1000 - the most impactful HDR picture.

Regarding whether to go larger with less quality, or smaller with more quality it depends entirely on how you'll use the TV. If you use it for sport, you'll likely want to avoid the A1 altogether. If you use HDR on the TV, ideally you want to aim for the LG C1, or even better G1. If you are watching only SDR content then the LG A1 is fine provided its just movies/TV.

Viewing distance and the type of content you view on the TV also plays a part. Most people view quite far from their TV, but the further you view from a smaller the TV the better poorer quality material will look. The other way around, the closer to a larger TV, the more detail you can see from a high quality source.
Thank you so much for your response Dodgexander.

I'll be using the TV mostly to watch UHD films and sport. So my decision will now likely be between the 65" LG G1, or the 77" LG C1 - providing the latter drops in price / I can get a deal.

Only thing I am wary of is the viewing distance - I will be 15ft away from the tv - which is why I think a 77" is more ideal than the 65".

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again Dodgexander.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom