Higher screen resolution makes bid improvements

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LTJ, Nov 8, 2005.

1. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moderators - Ive posted this in the LCD projector forum as well.

Hello all.
    I'm still using the panny 100 and I'm at that time I'm definitley up for a change. Can't make me mind uop though whether to stay with a PJ - either LCD or DLP or change to a 40 inch plus LCD screen? Anyhow I won't get into that debate in this thread, I really want to talk about what I think was a substantial improvement to my trusty old panny.

It's funny how that by total accident you hit upon an improvemnet. I was off today and was desperately trying to find an excuse not to decorate a room that I'd planned to start on. So looking for any diversion that I could I thought "I know what? let's take the S-Video out put of my PC's ATI sapphire graphics card and feed it into my redundant iScan pro"

So this I did initially into my LCD screen monitor. The iScan showed an input and gave an image to the screen but very blurred and narrow with a caption saying something like the frequency setting was too high. So I poked around in the ATI software and found something that offered 720p resolution - well I've only ever had two resolution options on the ATI card 800x600 and 1024 x 768, Any how I tried and then couldn't get any image on the LCD screen just a message again about frequency paremeters. Anyhow I connect the Panny up and here I could see fine. Bugger it I thought I'll try and undo the settings so the monitor would work, and in desperation I tried uninstalling the latest ATI drivers.

So I did this and awaited a restart and still there was a problem with the LCD monitor, not only that when via the panny I went to the control panel display the ATI drivers were still there! Not only that but blimey all of a sudden the ATI was offering me a full range of resolution settings!. I don't know what happened but here for the first time since purchased the graphics card was various settings I could try.

Then all of a sudden it hit me. I had the ATI set to 1280 x 720 not the 1024 x 768 I had before so once choosing the latter setting the LCD monitor was fine. But the odd thing was the image on the panny 100 now didn't look as good as it did when I'd inadvertantly set the ATI to 1280 x 720. So now time to experiment.

Now a couple of years ago the holy grail for the panny 100 user and other PJ's had become pixel matching via a tool
    like power strip. A decent forum user called Hoglet gave all the setteing parameters to set the panny 100 up for pixel matching. Initially I thought the pixel matching wrought very nice improvements - until last year when just for the hell of it I switched the resolution on the ATI card to(what then it seems ) was it's highest setting 1024 x 768 and I have to say I did find it more film like and after switching back and forth I was convinced the higher resolution although not a perfect pixel match actually looked better and even put in a couple of post relaying my observations and wondering whether I'd done something wrong as pixel matching was supposed to in theory be a far vibrant punchier image- but it wasn't. I did revisit powerstrip again recently and once again tried PM but my observations were the same as the first time around i.e. the higher resolution looked better.

Well as my ATI card was now (and I still don't know why) was now offering me 1280 x 720 my mind turned to all those media player HD clips I'd recently download as they are 1280 x 720p (progressive scan). Blimey when I started them up in Theatre Tek they were magnificent. They now filled the whole of the screen (16-9) and looked superb. So I thought Hmm... what does DVD look like with this resolution. Again it looked fantastic. A couple of months back I'd seen 'The Day after tomorrow ' going cheap bought it and was very disapointed with the results on the panny100 but now it looked excellent.
    I then tried the 1280 x 720 setting with sky via the sweet spot capture card and descaler again a very clear improvement over 1024 x768.

So by a complete fluke earlier tonight and maybe somebody can explai what happened i finally had the option for the first time on the ATI graphics card for several options of resolution and 1280 x 720 was a revelation. So anyone with a Panny 100 try the 1280 x 720 setting you won't be dissapointed.

Any one else experimenting with different resolutions?

Thanks

Lawrence

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Why didn't you just use Power Strip to experiment with the resolution settings in the first place?

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I thought this thread was going to help me on eBay :rotfl:

4. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan. I didn't make it too clear in my post, I was excited and every thing came pouring out.
    Right I have tried powerstrip over a year ago and had perfect pixel matching for my panny 100. At the time it was a big improvement and I left it alone. Now as I use my HTPC for music as well I don't want to be putting the PJ on just to line up some songs so I use a small TFT screen when not using the panny. To do this though I had to keep switching resolutions (can't read a bloody thing on the TFT in 856 x 480) It was when using the panny one day I decided to leave it 1024 x 768 and contrary to the preceived wisdom that pixel matching was superior I found I actually prefered it.
    I actually posted on here about at this at the time and asked if I'd missed something, but no, this resolution improved the PQ.

Last week I'd thought I'd give the powerstrip another bash (never had windows SP2 firts time) still the same results looks great on the desk top with nice large clear icons but on Sky RGB to sweetspot dscaler it still was not as good as 1024 x 768.

Now what I'm saying is that 1280 x 720 when using the panny 100 looks even better than 1024 x 768.
    Staggeringly better in fact on wmv high definition clips, dvd replay and sky.

All I'm trying to say is that maybe it's not as clear cut as just simple pixel matching
    this article from projector central keeps coming to mind
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/480i_vs_480p.htm

All know is that my recent desire to upgrade to a new pj or preferably large screen LCD has now lost it's zeal.

Oh by the way, when trying powerstrip again recently I found that even when using PS for the 1024 x 768 resolution it seemed to impair the PQ so I uninstalled.

5. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,917
    Maybe its better because it is now 720p so that is the only scaling going on and it is from the source?

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a similar vein: I have been running an nVidia 6800LE AGP card into the VGA socket on my 26" LCD.

The LCD has a native res of 1280x768 and using DVI the image is superb. I wanted to share the screen between two PCs hence trying the VGA connection.

I had no end of trouble trying to connect at 1280x768. When set, the card says 1280x768 but the screen reports the res as 1024x768 which produces very blurred text which is hardly readable on web pages etc. ps is no good with this card so I tried using the slider on the settings screen to go through all available resolutions. Next up was 1280x960. The screen accepted it and I am amazed to say the pq was superb. No blurred text and pin sharp graphics.

How can this be? obviously circles aren't circles but I can adjust that in MP and I'm staying with it for now.

Are there any other "magic" resolutions I could try?

(sorry for the thread hijack!)

Dave

8. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Try 1366 x 768

9. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's absolutely fine Dave.
    The thing for me is this.
    When were are using PC's for visual and audio we are basically on the fringes of technology I mean by that, if and I mean if, we finally think we've navigated around the software set up in all the various programmes one unbeknown mistake some where can bring the whole thing down and then your'e hours on a forum somewhere trying to find out what you did. Somethimes you eventually give up.

Take something seemingly as simple as putting the tele on. Right my sky box basic goes RGB out 16-9 setting to a sweetspot capture card that works with descaler and god knows threre's thousands of options in there that can go wrong, then it has to output to a screen via composite , s-video, rgb or dvi/hdmi and then you have settings on your pj or plasma/lcd screen i.e. aspect ratio, colour temperature ect ect
    . Now of course to simplify things even more we have 480i 480p or high definition with 720i 720p or 1080i and soon 1080p and there's more to come.

Now as for the sound well I come out analogue sky audio into the X-fi sound card - even then I had to make up a lead as the sound card will not take analogue on the inputs and outputs, then you have to tell the software mixer to turn on auxillary so you can hear the bloody thing. I mean just look at my sound system

AMD 3000 xp
    X-fi soundcard
    optical digital out to a Behringer DAC equaliser then optical out ro a 96 24 bit Musical fidelity which then puts analogue out into my new digital amp the UCD something or other.

So now to simply sit down and relax for the evening in front of my cutting edge home cinema system I have to have two bottles of wine and a handfull of tranquilisers yet I still finish up with a nervous tick :rolleyes: .

Now when I suggested to my son (16) a LCD tv he said "great at least other people will be able to use!" I really believe he has got a point :suicide:

10. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I use the nvidia software to toggle the output of my HTPC between s-video at 640 x 480 (I think) and VGA 1280 X 720 for my PJ.

It works well as I use my TV for browsing my HTPC when playing music files and then toggle the output using hotkeys on a wireless keyboard when I want to output a DVD to my PJ.

As for having new/different resolution output options, I think that would be because your graphics card would know what type of device was attached and offer res settings accordingly?

As far as I was aware you should always try and set the output from your PC to the native resolution of the display device anyway, and as JonMace said it probably is 1366x768, I think you should also set the refresh rate to match as well, however I'm not too sure on that.

I don't know if it's possible, but could you get a dual DVI ouput graphics card and use one for the PJ and the other for the LCD and toggle the ouputs? as I said, this may not be possible as setting different res outputs on each may not be an option.