Higher resolution smaller picture.....

Mad Mr H

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The is Barco CRT related, but maybe other crts do this as well.....

As I increase the resolution using an HTPC the actual image on the tubes gets smaller.....

To the point that I run out of H size adjustment......

Anyone else see this ???

Mmmm.........

And this might just be a funny little "quirk" when my graphics card feels like doing this!!!

As I am now running 3840x1080 :D

No! I really do mean mean 8" Barcos running 3840x1080 :devil:

MadMrH said:
As I increase the resolution using an HTPC the actual image on the tubes gets smaller..... To the point that I run out of H size adjustment......
Yeah Andy - they all do this, it's normal. The higher the horizontal scan frequency the narrower the raster. It's nothing to do with the HTPC per se - it's the same whatever the source.

That's why it's important to set up the screen width/throw distance using the highest resolution you are going to use. That way you can always "shrink" lower resolutions to fit the screen.

Thank you,

The blend rig has loads of things to think about, so sometimes I get a bit muddled up with all the different things going on at the same time........:confused:

I also seem to have exceeded the DVI bandwidth :thumbsdow

AND something I did not consider but now realise (was real obvious if you think about it....)

IF my blend rig is to run at (just picking a figure) total 1920x1080 and use a 512 pixel overlap then the actual resolution needs to be 2432x1080 , each PJ running 1216x1080

(NOW I see why Tims 1280x1024 for each is very close to actual required size)

Last night I was running at 3840x1080 , I forgot to add the blend area on top, so actual resolution should have been 4352x1080 , the idea was to go double H resolution of 1080p :devil: .

of course 4352x2160 :eek: would be better......

But the national grid are not happy :rolleyes:

Actually latter today im gonna try that! Just for fun.....

THEN I think I will put my sensible head back on and decide the actual final resolution........

People might ask "If the PC blending does not work why bother?" , I would have to say, thats the wrong question! nudge, nudge,;) ;)

It feels like you're closing in there, Andy. You must be getting a bit more confident if you're talking about all those big numbers. I just wonder what the right numbers are, though. I see where you get the 1216x1080 from, but that's not close to 4/3 AR, it's actually 9/8. It's closer to square, which would still give you 240 pixels blend width.

Just because it's close to what Tim is using is not a good pointer. He uses what he CAN, not what he WANTS. 1280 H is enough for a 16:9 projection, but I don't think anybody would CHOSE 1024 V instead of 1080 V, or more.

I've been swaying about the virtues of the Analogueway processor. I always thought 1280x1024 was a waste, but it turns out that it can also do 1600x1200/60 on both outputs. I guess that's much closer to what you would want a 9" pair to run, and Tim said he would give it a try.

The surprising downside of the 'zilla, that I didn't realise until very recently, is that for all it's input flexibility, it seems it cannot accept HDCP infested video over DVI. You would have to use component or some dodgy naughty box and cross your fingers. I think an HTPC gives you a better prospect of future HD compatibility. (not a gurantee, though).

BTW, as I write this, my humble £250 FX3000 is running at 2048x1536@60 with a smooth 512 pixel blend. Even DVD looks good when upscaled that far, so I can only imagine what HD would look like when upscaled onto a pixel-free display beyond 1920x1080. There will be no other way of doing that for a long time yet.

Nick

I have been using

2432x1080 @ 72Hz with a 512 overlap.

This gives a final resolution of 1920x1080

So thats a good start.

MadMrH said:
I have been using

2432x1080 @ 72Hz with a 512 overlap.

This gives a final resolution of 1920x1080

So thats a good start.

CAn you post pics?

Did you we rid of the bright vertical bar?

rgs!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom