Higher Res 20" LCD?

GadgetObsessed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any 20"/21" LCD TVs out there that have a PC input and a resolution of at least 1024x768?

There seem to be lots of choice at 640x480 and Thomson do 800x600 LCD TVs but the only 1024x768 (or higher) LCD TVs that I have seen at this size don't have PC inputs.

I'm looking for an LCD that can be used as a PC monitor (for business not games) and to demo DVDs (all shot as 4:3 ratio).

One alternative may be to get something like the following:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/monitorsanddisplays/productView.htm?quicklinx=28Y9

Am I then right in thinking that I could connect up any DVI equipped DVD player (e.g. Samsung 935) easily to such a monitor?

dont know about hooking a dvd player up to it, but why not just have a dvd drive in the pc?

I know it is not a dedicated LCD-TV, but try looking up the Dell 2001FP LCD monitor, has a true 16ms response time in 24-bit and a 20" screen with 1600x1200 resolution.

It also has VGA, DVI, S-Video and composite inputs. You can run the S-Video or composite input as a Picture-in-Picture display as well over the VGA or DVI signal.

Although, not tried out the S-Video capabilities yet as not had time, only just got mine delivered this week.

J

Arsenal - sorry I wasn't clear - the display will be used as a PC monitor when at home in the office but used as a demo screen for use with standard DVD players when doing shows. Don't really want to drag about a PC about as well as all the other stuff (probably need several LCD displays). On the other hand maybe a small PC would be a solution to consider.

Justinrog - Dells monitor looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Can anyone confirm that a DVD player with DVI out can be connected directly to a standard PC monitor with DVI input?
(PC's seem to use DVI-D is this a different standard?)

Gary,

DVD players with a (non-HDCP) DVI-D output should be able produce a scaled 720p signal, which would then be scaled again by the monitor to it's native resolution. My Momitsu will output computer-style resolutions of 1024x768 or 1280x768. Hope this helps.

Steve

Also consider the 22" Samsung LCD TV. Has SCART etc but more importantly has WXGA via DVI. Assuming you can go for a widescreen aspect rather than standard 4:3.

Alex

The Samsung would be an option. However, I do slightly begrudge spending about £300 more for a 22"/23" widescreen, that will have a smaller viewable area (I cannot stand any stretching or zooming of a 4:3 image to fit 16:9) than a 20" 4:3.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G4 OLED Best Picture Settings Out Of The Box - Filmmaker Mode!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom