Higher Res 20" LCD?

GadgetObsessed

Are there any 20"/21" LCD TVs out there that have a PC input and a resolution of at least 1024x768?

There seem to be lots of choice at 640x480 and Thomson do 800x600 LCD TVs but the only 1024x768 (or higher) LCD TVs that I have seen at this size don't have PC inputs.

I'm looking for an LCD that can be used as a PC monitor (for business not games) and to demo DVDs (all shot as 4:3 ratio).

One alternative may be to get something like the following:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/monitorsanddisplays/productView.htm?quicklinx=28Y9

Am I then right in thinking that I could connect up any DVI equipped DVD player (e.g. Samsung 935) easily to such a monitor?

Arsenal

Standard Member
dont know about hooking a dvd player up to it, but why not just have a dvd drive in the pc?

Justinrog

Standard Member
I know it is not a dedicated LCD-TV, but try looking up the Dell 2001FP LCD monitor, has a true 16ms response time in 24-bit and a 20" screen with 1600x1200 resolution.

It also has VGA, DVI, S-Video and composite inputs. You can run the S-Video or composite input as a Picture-in-Picture display as well over the VGA or DVI signal.

Although, not tried out the S-Video capabilities yet as not had time, only just got mine delivered this week.

J

GadgetObsessed

Arsenal - sorry I wasn't clear - the display will be used as a PC monitor when at home in the office but used as a demo screen for use with standard DVD players when doing shows. Don't really want to drag about a PC about as well as all the other stuff (probably need several LCD displays). On the other hand maybe a small PC would be a solution to consider.

Justinrog - Dells monitor looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Can anyone confirm that a DVD player with DVI out can be connected directly to a standard PC monitor with DVI input?
(PC's seem to use DVI-D is this a different standard?)

Dutch

Gary,

DVD players with a (non-HDCP) DVI-D output should be able produce a scaled 720p signal, which would then be scaled again by the monitor to it's native resolution. My Momitsu will output computer-style resolutions of 1024x768 or 1280x768. Hope this helps.

Steve

F

fishyuk

Also consider the 22" Samsung LCD TV. Has SCART etc but more importantly has WXGA via DVI. Assuming you can go for a widescreen aspect rather than standard 4:3.

Alex

GadgetObsessed

The Samsung would be an option. However, I do slightly begrudge spending about £300 more for a 22"/23" widescreen, that will have a smaller viewable area (I cannot stand any stretching or zooming of a 4:3 image to fit 16:9) than a 20" 4:3.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom